• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafécito

SobaAddict70

The best selection is masitas de puerco..., chunks of pork marinated in mojo, the Cuban garlic-and-citrus condiment, and then quickly sautéed until the exterior turns crisp, leaving the inside juicy and tender. The pork is topped with grilled onions and served over a delicious sweet mash of corn and boniato, a tuber like a sweet potato but with a stiffer texture.

Cafécito (Eric Asimov)

[This post will be updated later today or tomorrow when the regular NYTimes DIGEST update is posted. --Soba]

Asimov managed to write a mostly positive review that seems to me to damn with faint praise:

The food is very good — not great, but enjoyable.
The menu is slender and the choices among appetizers are few. Empanadas ($2), stuffed with either chicken or beef, are fair. So are slender ham croquettes ($1.25 for two) and spherical papa rellenas

Yet he does suggest ways to order well. I'd love to hear from other people who've tried this place. Is it worth the walk from 1st Av.? :laugh:

I love mojitos, so maybe I'll go over for a drink and some appetizers or something one of these days, or even go for a meal with the idea that it's an accompaniment to drinks. Now, there's a novel idea. :laugh::raz:

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 years later...

Well, I've finally gotten to this place.

I was one of a party of four for dinner on Monday. As per its name, it is a truly small cafe, and we had to wait a few minutes for a table.

I found the place very pleasant and enjoyed the food and drink.

We shared a pitcher of nice red sangria and the following appetizers:

Empanada de Pollo

Grouper Ceviche

Frituras de Camarones

For mains, we got:

Cubano (I tried some and it was a very tasty sandwich)

Camarones al Ajillo (very garlicky, quite a good point in my book)

Picadillo (a dish my mother made when I was a kid, and this was very nicely done)

Churrasco (ridiculously large skirt steak)

One slight problem was that the churrasco, ordered medium rare, was delivered medium well. It still tasted good. But again, the portion was totally ridiculous. It was a huge slab of meat plus a separate plate of good tostones and yellow rice. The tostones came with a very nice dipping sauce and black beans (also for dipping).

Some dishes like my picadillo came with maduros that were sweeter than usual and I really liked that.

Two of our party live in Park Slope and felt that someplace or places closer to them was/were (a) better Cuban restaurant/s, but I've forgotten the name(s). I think one was on Smith near Sackett.

One word of warning: The watermelon martini was found to be overly sweet by those who ordered it, but I can't corroborate their opinion because I didn't try it.

Second word of warning: Though this was most pronounced with the currasco, all the main dish portions were overly large, which is too bad because I might have liked to try their desserts by had no room left. It might be a good idea for a couple to share an appetizer plate or a couple or three appetizers and a main dish.

With a good tip, the total cost for the meal was $32/person, as I remember, a good value.

I noticed a fair amount of positive discussion of this restaurant on Chowhound, but obviously, not much here. Have any of you eaten or gotten takeout or delivery from Cafecito?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I found it to be fine, not especially notable, Cuban food. (but then I lived in Miami for a couple years and never developed much of an affection for Cuban food....)

as for Chowhound, well, any cheap place with large portions will get positive reviews on Chowhound and menupages....irrespective of the quality.

I found it to be fine, not especially notable, Cuban food.  (but then I lived in Miami for a couple years and never developed much of an affection for Cuban food....)

as for Chowhound, well, any cheap place with large portions will get positive reviews on Chowhound and menupages....irrespective of the quality.

i don't know if you meant for that chowhound dig to be funny, but it is.

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

it was intended to be both serious and amusing.

(I'm going to lay off now before this goes off-topic.  I was "banned" from Chowhound by Jim Leff so I'm not the most objective on the topic.)

I think it was intended to show off.......you seem proud.

sucha rebel!!

:laugh:

That wasn't chicken

it was intended to be both serious and amusing.

(I'm going to lay off now before this goes off-topic.  I was "banned" from Chowhound by Jim Leff so I'm not the most objective on the topic.)

Well, without going further off-topic, I'll just say that I'd like to see more mention of low-end places here. I'll try to do my part, time allowing.

Michael aka "Pan"

I like Cafecito enough that I won't start a thread about them, but I will participate. It's good, just fine, sometimes overseasoned, or an item forgotten on delivery, but still good. I like the sandwiches- as finding a well pressed sandwich is like pulling teeth in this city.

They're always melted perfectly and crisp on the outside. Very good rice and beans too good and garlicy. Hit or miss with the maduros, the fried things would be better in house I'm sure (delivery) Don't cross town for it, but definatly stop in if you're close by.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I went to Cafecito last night, a Thurs at 9:30, and loved it. Started with a Methusalem mojito, while sitting outside, at the walk up bar. They were a little sweet for my palate, so we squeezed a couple of lime wedges in them and then they were just what we needed to beat the heat.

The wait for a table was about half a mojito.

The ambiance was charming. It was nice and dark. The service was very good, and casual.

Started with The Papas Rellena, Lightly breaded mashed potato filled with beef picadillo.

YUM!

At the same time we got the Ceviche. It was grouper. Marvelous, it was like a symphony in your mouth. All the flavors complimented each other.

Second course:

Empanada de pollo. Great crust. Almost pie like. Flakey, crisp.

Ensalada de camerones en escabeche. Another winner. The shrimp were cooked perfectly, and nicely seasoned. The avocado was a great counterpoint to the red onions and olives. And the orange segments give the whole dish a little zing.

Third course:

Red snapper on mashed potatoes. Wicked good. Fish was cooked just right, had lots of flavor, and was nicely presented. Highly recommended.

Final course:

Glass of Methusalem, and Cuban coffee.

We had a couple of Dos X, and the tab came to $75. You could defiantly get away with ordering less food. Maybe as much as half as much.

I'm going there right now for a cuban sandwhich. And then tomorrow night to have the rest of the menu.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE