• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scott Peacock and Edna Lewis, Southern Chefs

Of both local and national interest in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution is an article on two nationally recognized Southern cooks:

the article

As Edna Lewis, who was Peacock's early mentor, approaches the ripe old age of 88, her family wants her to return to their family home in Virginia in order to care for her. Peacock maintains that he is well able to do the exact same thing here in Atlanta where they live together, enjoying each others' company.

Their cookbook, The Gift of Southern Cooking : Recipes and Revelations from Two Great Southern Cooks is both the 2004 James Beard Award Nominee for Cooking of the Americas as well as the 2004 IACP Award Nominee for American Category. And the story of their friendship is a moving one:

a tale of two chefs

There was a discussion recently (well, last year, to be more precise) about them here at eGullet:

the thread

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks for the heads-up, GG. I find this a sad and disturbing twist to an inspiring story.

I have to say that I'm on Peacock's side. It's clear that dear Edna's faculties are in decline, but she seems to have anticipated this and made preparations for it. Her wishes need to be respected. If Lewis' family wants to help out, they should be offering financial support to ensure that her last bit of time is happy, peaceful and secure. Where were they before this?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm disturbed by this as well, and must say that I also support Peacock (and, apparently, Lewis) in the decision to keep Edna in a situation which has become a comfortable and familiar home to her. Where, indeed, have the family been in her life for the better part of the last two decades? If their concern is truly for her ease and comfort, and in making her last years as happy as they can be for her, then they should support her in the decision she has made in choosing her home and companionship, rather than uproot her at this time in her life and force her into a living situation she evidently could have freely chosen at any time in the past, but preferred not to.

Scott and Edna share a mutual love and respect for each other and for genuine Southern cuisine that pervades every page of The Gift. That her relatives are now trying to insist on ending the relationship they have forged together over the years indicates a willful blindness to her own wishes and to what thousands of readers can easily see is a unique and moving friendship, a solid and supportive home and, indeed, family in its most profound sense.

Cheers, and all the best to Scott and Edna,

Squeat

That her relatives are now trying to insist on ending the relationship they have forged together over the years indicates a willful blindness to her own wishes and to what thousands of readers can easily see is a unique and moving friendship, a solid and supportive home and, indeed, family in its most profound sense.

Amen, Squeat, amen indeed!!

Many long years ahead for them both!

I'm not on anyone's side. It sounds like this woman needs 24/7 care - probably in a skilled nursing facility (which is a heck of a lot cheaper than home care at $18/hour - not to mention more professional). Since she's on medicaid (which pays for skilled nursing facilities) - there's no reason for anyone- including her "roommate" - to go seeking handouts on her behalf.

I suspect that - in the end - a judge will determine what's in *her* best interests (because that's really the only thing that matters). Robyn

Everyone needs 24/7 care. Edna Lewis is fortunate enough to have found it in Scott Peacock. It is no one's business -- not mine, a judge's, her family's -- to tell her that the choice she has made is wrong or right. She is comfortable with her friend. More power to her. May she live and die in peace!

What I gathered from the article is that the fact that she is on Medicaid actually puts a severe limitation on Lewis's own resources. Which is just shocking and wrong.

Robyn, if I am ever in Lewis' position I really hope people will just leave me the hell alone and allow my chosen friend to see me over. If you choose to end it in a 'facility', I will equally respect that choice. However, now that I have seen it happen both ways, you're not likely to convince me that 'managed care' beats out personal, emotional and involved care for ending one's days.

Like you, I suspect that a judge will be involved in poor Edna's near future -- and the only time she has remaining. And to me, that is just another unnecessary and tragic ordeal for her to have to go through.

Squeat

Everyone needs 24/7 care. Edna Lewis is fortunate enough to have found it in Scott Peacock. It is no one's business -- not mine, a judge's, her family's -- to tell her that the choice she has made is wrong or right. She is comfortable with her friend. More power to her. May she live and die in peace!

What I gathered from the article is that the fact that she is on Medicaid actually puts a severe limitation on Lewis's own resources. Which is just shocking and wrong.

Robyn, if I am ever in Lewis' position I really hope people will just leave me the hell alone and allow my chosen friend to see me over. If you choose to end it in a 'facility', I will equally respect that choice. However, now that I have seen it happen both ways, you're not likely to convince me that 'managed care' beats out personal, emotional and involved care for ending one's days.

Like you, I suspect that a judge will be involved in poor Edna's near future -- and the only time she has remaining. And to me, that is just another unnecessary and tragic ordeal for her to have to go through.

Squeat

Some people can take care of themselves. This woman obviously can't (otherwise she wouldn't be getting 25 hours a week of home health care paid for by medicare). Whether this is enough - or whether she needs more - I can't say - and neither can anyone else from reading this article or any other articles appearing in the press.

Moreover - all we know from the public press accounts is that she allegedly has "mild cognitive impairment". This isn't a doctor's determination - it's what some reporter says. Who's to say whether or not this is an accurate statement of her mental capacity? Certainly no one here. We have no idea whether she is - as they say - "of sound mind" - or whether she was of sound mind when she executed the documents mentioned in the article. I find it noteworthy that the only lawyer quoted in the article didn't purport to be *her* lawyer - he said he was "Peakcock's" lawyer.

It is certainly within the purview of the legal system to deal with these issues. Does the legal system get it right all the time? No. But there's too much potential for elder abuse - whether you're dealing with family - or not - to eliminate the safeguards in the legal system. Not only will the legal system deal with the physical situation of an elder person - it will also inquire into financial matters. I'm not sure why people would seemingly dismiss out of hand the potential for financial abuse of the elderly in this situation - since it happens all the time. A court would probably want to see financial records of the money coming in from things like book royalties - and records of how the money was spent - just to make sure that everything was "kosher".

Also - this guy isn't "taking care of her". He works for a living - presumably full time. And no one who works full time away from home can take care of someone who needs 24/7 care at home. That's just a harsh fact of life.

As for medicaid - I didn't read the article the way you read it. And - if your reading is correct - the article is wrong unless this man is something other than a room-mate (and I don't think he is).

Finally - what kind of quality of life is it when you're basically old - and feeble - and somewhat incapacitated - and you spend your whole life in your house - sometimes with one paid caregiver - sometimes with a room-mate - and sometimes alone? I was at the nursing home today for a while when we picked up my FIL and dropped him off. There was a mother's day celebration. Dozens of residents - children - grandchildren - and greatgrandchildren. Good food. Entertainment. And about as much social interaction as the residents were capable of enjoying (they are all obviously functioning at different levels). Any chef worth his salt was working today. So Edna Lewis probably spent today alone (or perhaps she had a paid babysitter). Perhaps that's how you'd like to spend your mother's days when you're old: alone - or with strangers. That certainly wouldn't be my choice. Robyn

Robyn, we obviously see Edna's plight in different ways. But I can answer one of your questions.

Finally - what kind of quality of life is it when you're basically old - and feeble - and somewhat incapacitated - and you spend your whole life in your house - sometimes with one paid caregiver - sometimes with a room-mate - and sometimes alone?

I can't imagine a quality of life better than this. I wish I had it now. I may not yet be 'basically old' (I've always been arguably feeble), but I do want care, I want to be in my own home, I want to see familiar and friendly faces, and I definitely want to be alone sometimes (thank you Greta).

Squeat

Editted to remove what, upon a later reading, seemed a fatuous comment. My apologies for posting in haste, and while distracted.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

• 1 year later...

update on Chef Peacock and Miss Edna Lewis from the NYT

For the last six years, Mr. Peacock has lived with Edna Lewis, the Southern cooking legend who at 89 is sliding gently toward the end of her life. It is their chicken recipe that Ms. Saliers was about to devour.

"Scott and Edna have a partnership," Ms. Saliers said. "We all do. It's just how things work around here."

When I first read about this I thought it was awful, and I still do.

Ms. Lewis is being kept from her family by this man, and I suspect his motives in the "partnership".

I have family about the same age and in similar physical and mental health. I would do everything possible to ensure they were not being exploited and returned to the bosom of their family.

• 2 months later...
update on Chef Peacock and Miss Edna Lewis from the NYT
For the last six years, Mr. Peacock has lived with Edna Lewis, the Southern cooking legend who at 89 is sliding gently toward the end of her life. It is their chicken recipe that Ms. Saliers was about to devour.

"Scott and Edna have a partnership," Ms. Saliers said. "We all do. It's just how things work around here."

I wanted to add my congratulations to Miss Lewis and Scott Peacock on the recent legal decision to allow her to remain in his care. From the NY Times article referenced above: "After a parade of social workers, doctors and lawyers dissected the situation, the judge decided in May [2005] that Miss Lewis was right where she belonged, with Mr. Peacock, who has power of attorney, but is not her legal guardian."

"The Gift of Southern Cooking" - the 2003 book that the two of them produced together - is not only a fantastic collection of recipes (ooh, that Lane Cake!) but also a charming chronicle of the alliance of two unlikely but kindred souls.

• 5 months later...
The ending of a beautiful love story for Scott Peacock and Edna Lewis ... and right before Valentine's Day ...
Edna Lewis, the beloved food writer who was the South's answer to Julia Child, died at her home in Decatur early Monday. She was 89.  Scott Peacock, the Atlanta chef who had been Lewis' companion and caretaker for years, was by her side, according to Nicholas Latimer, a publicist for Lewis' publisher, Alfred A. Knopf ... "He was so glad that he was there with her and that she went peacefully," Jones said. Lewis — a slave's granddaughter who turned a tiny New York cafe into an artists' mecca where Garbo and Faulkner went to dine on oysters and chocolate souffle — was considerd by many to be one of the best cooks in America.
May God rest her soul in peace for the joy she shared with her many food lovers.

The ending of a beautiful love story for Scott Peacock and Edna Lewis ... and right before Valentine's Day ...
Edna Lewis, the beloved food writer who was the South's answer to Julia Child, died at her home in Decatur early Monday. She was 89.  Scott Peacock, the Atlanta chef who had been Lewis' companion and caretaker for years, was by her side, according to Nicholas Latimer, a publicist for Lewis' publisher, Alfred A. Knopf ... "He was so glad that he was there with her and that she went peacefully," Jones said. Lewis — a slave's granddaughter who turned a tiny New York cafe into an artists' mecca where Garbo and Faulkner went to dine on oysters and chocolate souffle — was considerd by many to be one of the best cooks in America.
May God rest her soul in peace for the joy she shared with her many food lovers.

Amen. Thanks for letting us know and godspeed, Edna! I have a couple of friends waiting for you on the other side who lived for your kind of food. I'm sure you'll find them soon enough.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

she will be missed.

I propose that we choose a day in the very near future and each of us make some thing fr/ one of her cook books in her memory and report back here about the experience.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I propose that we choose a day in the very near future and each of us make some thing fr/ one of her cook books in her memory and report back here about the experience.

I think you have hit upon a great idea, Lan4Dawg!

If anyone interested can send me a PM, we can discuss the particulars and what recipes of Edna Lewis would make for a great Southern tribute to a fine lady who knew her cooking!

I am willing to notify Scott Peacock in case he is willing to participate in a new thread dedicated to Edna ... sound good?

Their book, once again, is The Gift of Southern Cooking : Recipes and Revelations from Two Great Southern Cooks and it is both the 2004 James Beard Award Nominee for Cooking of the Americas as well as the 2004 IACP Award Nominee for American Category.

Sad passing.

May she rest in peace.

Don't forget, Edna Lewis also wrote "In Persuit of Flavor" and "Taste of Country Cooking". "In Persuit of Flavor" is one of my favorite cookbooks when I need a little nostalgia.

Edited by annecros (log)

I think you have hit upon a great idea, Lan4Dawg!

If anyone interested can send me a PM, we can discuss the particulars and what recipes of Edna Lewis would make for a great Southern tribute to a fine lady who knew her cooking!

I am willing to notify Scott Peacock in case he is willing to participate in a new thread dedicated to Edna ... sound good?

Their book, once again, is The Gift of Southern Cooking : Recipes and Revelations from Two Great Southern Cooks and it is both the 2004 James Beard Award Nominee for Cooking of the Americas as well as the 2004 IACP Award Nominee for American Category.

And do not forget Edna Lewis' mid-70's book, The Taste of Country Cooking. I see it occasionally in used book stores.

& btw, most Sundays work for me.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Godspeed Edna! I love her books. I'm only just now found this thread. I'm so glad she was able to finish her life on her terms.

'Gift' has a recipe that is very, very high on my list: my absolute, most favorite cake recipe EVER: The Lane Cake. With its gooey bourbony filling and frosting. Definitely on the 'last thing I eat before I die' list.

Born Free, Now Expensive

The New York Times obituary for Edna Lewis today ..

In 1976, Miss Lewis turned the focused, close-to-nature cooking of her childhood into the second of her four books, "The Taste of Country Cooking" (Knopf). The book, considered a classic study of Southern cooking and one that sits on the shelves of America's best chefs, helped put an end to the knee-slapping, cornpone image of Southern food among many American cooks. John T. Edge, the author and director of the Southern Foodways Alliance, said that because of her devotion to educating a nation about the nuances of Southern cooking, there was no question that the group's first lifetime achievement award, in 1999, would go to Miss Lewis.

Lifetime achievement award indeed .. no one understood this better than Edna Lewis!

Some of us will be joining in our own personal tributes to Edna by having an informal cooking of some of her recipes here (Southern Food Culture forum) and sharing both our thinking about Edna as well as our versions of her recipes .. join us? :rolleyes:

I don't think that this has to be done in a day ... maybe over a week or two .. with a winding up using our thoughts and, if you wish, photos .. and maybe a few words on how Edna made the recipe worth producing ... a few of us Edna Lewis fans are going to try it. ...

Edna's recipes for soups and stews are here

• 1 year later...

NOMINEES

2007 James Beard Foundation Restaurant and Chef Awards

CATEGORY: OUTSTANDING RESTAURATEUR AWARD

A WORKING RESTAURATEUR, ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN MULTIPLE RESTAURANTS IN THE UNITED STATES, WHO HAS SET UNIFORMLY HIGH NATIONAL STANDARDS AS A

CREATIVE FORCE IN THE KITCHEN AND/OR IN RESTAURANT OPERATIONS. MUST HAVE BEEN IN THE RESTAURANT BUSINESS FOR AT LEAST TEN YEARS.

CATEGORY: BEST CHEF: SOUTHEAST (GA, KY, NC, SC, TN, WV)

Scott Peacock

Watershed

406 Ponce De Leon Avenue

Decatur, GA 30030