• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zen

Rosie

We stopped in for a light meal at Zen Japanese Cuisine, 277 Eisenhower Parkway, Livingston tonight on our way home from the NJ Annual Wine and Food Classic. We started with edamame and seafood salad followed by toro and a roll made with soft shell crab, spicy tuna and salmon topped with crushed tempura. Food was good and I particularly was pleased that the roll had a much larger circumference of fish. I would say the ratio was 3/4 fish and 1/4 rice. We had to wait 15 minutes to get our check and this place was noisy and crowded with many people waiting for tables. I saw that they have a coupon on their website at www.Zensushi.net. Phone: 973-533-6828. BYO.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 months later...

Here's what Jason and I posted about Zen, in another thread:

There's a new-ish Sushi/Japanese place in Madison, which I forget the name, in the same shopping plaza with Gary's Wines, which Rachel and I ate at recently. Its Chinese-owned and was clean and attractive, and the fish was of excellent quality for a suburban sushi joint. Of particular interest is a HUGE appetizer menu and some interesting salad-type things, such as a Amaebi appetizer which was a huge pile of Amaebis (sweet shrimp) in a sort of light mayonnaisey-mustard-yuzu sauce over shredded daikon radish, which I liked a lot. They also have a section devoted to katsus as well as a section of spicy rolls. Their standard toro and other basic sashimi cuts were very good. We ate at the sushi bar, and the sushi guys were attentive and interactive.

Corrections:

• 1) We were at the Livingston location of Gary's Wine (off Rt 10), not Madison.
    2) That location is not a Gary's Wine anymore, it is now called Wine Legend, but it doesn't look like they changed much about the store. Phone: (973) 992-4441 (
Here's a link to Gary's website).
3) The Japanese restaurant is Zen Japanese Cuisine, it was one of the best sushi experiences we've had recently. (Address: 277 Eisenhower Pkwy, Livingston, NJ 07039, Phone: (973) 533-6828)

• 11 months later...

We returned to Zen and vowed to frequent this restaurant more often. Apps were a fabulous “Fat Boy” salad comprised of spicy tuna and seafood; and lightly braised tofu in a miso type of sauce. Then we shared two special rolls –eight pieces each. One was a special of salmon, soft shell crab, tempura chips, scallion, and cucumber topped with spicy salmon and spicy tuna. This was Lowell’s favorite. The other one was the "avalanche roll” made with spicy white tuna, shrimp, spicy tuna, and tempura chip, topped with caviar, avocado and white tuna. Delicious. We were stuffed after all of that fish. Has anyone been here recently?"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie - my wife and I were at Zen again last Friday night. It has definitely become our 'regular' place for Sushi. We still have a problem with over-ordering (their sizes are very generous), but we never leave disappointed.

This was the first time we had visited on a Friday night - it was quite busy, and we had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. In the past we've been on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and haven't had to wait.

This time we managed to get some fatty tuna - absolutely delicious, and, again, very generously sized. I also love the Spanish Mackerel Sashimi. One of the people on the table next to us had a roll called something like a 'creamy crab' roll. Looked very different - may have to give that a try the next time I'm there.

Btw - definitely get a coupon before you go - you can print one out from the website listed in the first post.

I really want to get back to this place, but my in-laws who live in Florham Park, and the usual reason why we are in that area, are anti-sushi. So when we end up going out for dinner it's usually Chinese or something less "scary".

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 months later...

Went to Zen tonight for dinner. Got there about 7:30 and waited about 30 minutes for a table, which was fine...

Had an absolutely AWFUL meal. First, I tried to order Toro, only to be told that they were out of Toro. I have always been of the opinion that a quality staff will let you know what the kitchen has run out of when you are seated. It's always frustrating to come to a decision only to be told that you'll have to rethink your order. Simple communication can eliminate this. Of course, this trivial matter was a minor part of my displeasure.

We ordered 3 rolls. The only decent roll was called a Three Stooge roll with eel and a peanut sauce. The peanut sauce became a bit overwhelming after eating a few pieces, but overall was quite tasty.

Roll number 2 had Salmon that was so fishy that I can still taste it right now. The salmon did not taste fresh at all, and it left my stomach feeling a little queezy.

Roll number 3 was a lobster roll. The lobster tasted as if it had been sitting in a freezer for about 2 months prior to being served tonight.

After reading a few positive reviews about Zen, I was excited to have a new place to try, now that my favorite local place--East Tokyo--has closed. Unfortunately, I could not have been more disappointed, and I don't think I will return. To add insult to injury, Zen seemed a tad overpriced. Sure the portions were decent size, but not so much larger to be priced so high. Maybe I hit an off night, but at this point, I won't be so quick to give Zen a 2nd chance.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

OUCH!! Sorry to hear that your experience was less than memorable. We always have had good meals at Zen. We also always had good meals at Kyoto and the last time we were there it was so disappointing. Try this place and let us know what you think.

Ariyoshi Japanese Restaurant, 54-56 W South Orange Ave, South Orange (973-378-8818); BYO.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

OUCH!!  Sorry to hear that your experience was less than memorable. We always have had good meals at Zen. We also always had good meals at Kyoto and the last time we were there it was so disappointing. Try this place and let us know what you think.

Ariyoshi Japanese Restaurant, 54-56 W South Orange Ave, South Orange (973-378-8818); BYO.

Funny that you mention Ariyoshi! We flipped a coin between there and Zen for our meal last night and if I could only go back in time...

I will definitely try Ariyoshi in the near future, and I am sure to give my review.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

OK, we went to Ariyoshi last night for dinner.

First of all, we were greeted by a hostess that we remembered from the many times we dined at Dai Kichi in Montclair.

Secondly, upon observing the menu, we noted striking similarities between Ariyoshi and Dai Kichi.

When we asked the hostess if the two restaurants were owned by the same owners, she told us that the were not--however, the former manager of Dai Kichi went into business for herself and opened Ariyoshi. Mystery solved.

As for the meal, it was quite good. Not my best ever sushi experience, but a solid meal, and definitely a good local place we can return to when the sushi crave returns.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Chef is from Dai Kichi in Montclair also.

Well, there you have it! :smile: