• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making bibimbap with rice cooker?

swy

Hi all,

I am in the market for a rice cooker, I have finalized my choices to either Sanyo ECJ-B35S or Zojirushi NS-MYC10.

The Sanyo is a little smaller than I would like, but according to their web site, you could make bibimbap with it. If it could make decent bibimbap, then I would definitely go for the Sanyo. Anyone has experience with this?

I have never tried making bibimbap myself...nor am I a good cook... :wink:

Thanks in advance!

SW

swy,

welcome to egullet!! :biggrin:

Here is my honest opinion, go for the Zojirushi or anything that is at least a 5 cup. Even if you live alone and rarely cook for more than one of two people there will always be a time when you will kick yourself for not getting a bigger one.

Even though it is a 3.5 cup (the Sanyo) that is normally for only white rice, for example I have a 10 cup rice cooker but it can only make 2 cups of okayu (rice gruel) and 6 cups of sticky/mixed rices. A 3.5 means you can only cook this kind of rice for one person and that probably means the bibimbap too.

I looked at a couple other sites about that bibimbap making Sanyo and it says, all you have to do is pour in the bibimbap no moto (flavoring packet) and turn the switch on, it doesn't sound much different that any other type of takikomi gohan that you can do in any rice cooker. Bibimbap is not hard to make and if you really like the ishiyaki (dolsot) kind with the crusty bottom then I would invest in a set of dolsots I am sure it will taste 100 times better.....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...

Bibimbap in a rice cooker? I didn't even know there was bibimbap flavoring!

I always thought it was just a delicious way to empty one's fridge of leftovers and banchan. We would just make regular rice, add condiments and mix up.

Well, I guess it's true. You learn something every day.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Hmm, I thought I already responded to this thread, but I guess not.

I have never seen bibimbap flavoring. I tried googling for that flavoring thing but couldn't find it. torakris, would you be so kind as to provide a link? Now I'm curious.

At church, bibimbap is what they mostly fed us, and the only flavoring I ever saw was kochujang and sesame oil. I also ate a ton of bibimbap when I was a vegetarian. The only way I know how to make it, is to use white rice (you can use any old rice cooker for this) and then throw a bunch of premade namul (uh translation is cool vegetable salads?), maybe some meat, and then take a dollop of kochujang and some sesame oil and put on top. If you are doing dol sot (stone crock) bibimbap, then you could also crack an egg on top and quick as a bunny mix it into everything while the stone bowl is still hot enough to cook the egg.

the thing i like about the zojirushi rice cooker, or at least the one I had, was that there was a timer function, so you could make rice in the morning, and then time it so that the rice is perfectly made and ready to eat, right when you get home. There was also porridge functions on that machine that I never used.

Now I use a no-name Korean rice cooker I bought in L.A. that makes exactly the same excellent rice that the zojirushi one did. No timer, but I don't care. I think it was $50 as opposed to $150. I agree with torakris that you should get around a 5 cup machine if you have 1-2 pple, and 10 cup if you have a decent sized family.

--edit

For anything with sweet rice, I think my mom uses a pressure cooker instead of the rice cooker. My friend makes a killer black (wild) rice that has black, sweet and brown rices all mixed in, and I...don't know what she uses, will get back to youm, hopefully i will remember.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I also want to add in my support for Zojirushi. They have functions on their rice cookers for brown rice, porridge, and I'm sure even stuff that I never considered doing with rice. Even the littlest Zojirushi machines have those functions on them.

Damn fine machines and they last forever.

Yeah, and jschyun that was a fine definition for namul. It's a veggie normally, and it's usually served as an accopaniment/condiment, a little bit salty, and at room temp or straight from the fridge.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Credit skchai for that namul definition. I would normally have just said "prepared vegetable side dishes" or something like that. *shrug* i'm just a lowly programmer with precious few language skillz.

--the namul(s) I was thinking of are not necessarily salty. the preparation of doragi (uh bellflower root?) means a long soak in a salt bath (get out the bitterness) so maybe that makes it somewhat salty. I love any preparation of doragi.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Here is a picture of one type of bibimba no moto:

https://www.websuite.ne.jp/aquarius/ec/youk...04&GOODS_NO=251

it looks like a mix of kochujang, sesame oil and sesame seeds....

I also saw quite a few references to a retort pack type of bibimba no moto but unfortunately couldn't find any pictures.

In either case I think it would taste a hundred times better if you just made your own!

:biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"