• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethnic Pop

Jason Perlow

My list:

1. Mexican Coca Cola and Pepsi

No doubt, Mexico does it better than we do, with a mix that tastes like it came straight out of the 50's or 60's. Plus, it comes in glass bottles.

2. Jarritos (Mexico)

The Toronja (Grapefruit) flavor is by far my favorite.

3. Antarctica (Brazil)

THE guarana soda.

4. Ting! (Jamaica)

This is a soda flavored from the sweet jamaican grapefruit.

5. Sarsi

A root beer from the Philippines. Very old fashioned tasting and almost licorice-like.

6. Sumol

A Orange flavored soda from Portugal.

7. Apple Sidra

A natural Apple flavored soda from Taiwan.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I had a little bit of extra joy added to my life last year when Chris and I were nosing around a tiny little Mexican store here in Honolulu--I nearly jumped up and down when I spotted the Ting. So, Ting all the way, but I prefer the ones bottled in St. Lucia or anywhere other than Jamaica.

But I suppose that I really do like any grapefruit soda, be it branded or not, from anywhere from Switzerland to here.

-Emily

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

A don't know about favorite - but the strangest soda phenomenon had to be "maekkol" a roasted-barley flavored soda that briefly became the top-selling soft drink in Korea during the late 1980s and early 90s. It was produced by the Unification Church.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

When I lived in Sweden we had something called "Pommac"(I think) that was mildly apple flavored and great.But the best were pear pop and apricot pop.Lord,they were good.They thought the idea of a Coke Float was horrible but I made floats with the pear pop and their pear flavored ice cream that were fabulous!

Every new food you try adds a year to your life.Therefore,I am immortal ;=)

Am I correct in thinking that the big difference between the Mexican sodas and those in the US is the fact that they use real sugar instead of corn sweetner?

I second the nomination of Ting. I love that stuff and other grapefruit sodas don't come close (certainly not those I've tried). I think the Jamaican D&G brand of Ginger beer is also above everage - much better than the Goya Ginger Beer that's readily available here.

I just tried Moka - an Italian coffee soft drink - excelent with just the right balance of sweetness and coffee flavors.

I'd be remiss if I failed to mention Cidona. It's a lightly carbonated natural apple flavored drink from Ireland - very good.

The Pepsi and Coke in Mexico probably tastes better because they use sugar instead of corn sweeteners. (I once worked at PepsiCo). You can duplicate the experience here if you look for the soda/pop that's labeled Kosher for Passover...there may still be some in the stores. We would always load up on kosher 7-Up.

My vote for "ethnic" soda is Garrett's Ginger Beer from Bermuda. Best served with Gosling's Black Seal Rum--A "Dark and Stormy"

Why does coke taste so much better out of glass bottles? Any theories?

I like D&G Ginger beer, not sure where it comes from, but it excellent, with a real ginger lingering burn! It's quite widely available in the UK anyway.

We also have A company called Fentimans who make naturally brewed sodas, a bit more highbrow than your usual, and a bit more pricy, but excellent. They are slightly naturally alcoholic (Even the Cola, called curiosity cola), the ginger beer and seville orange jigger are especially good.

Not sure if you can get them outside the UK though.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Malta (can't remember the name)

Kinnie. It's like root beer but worse.

Interestingly :hmmm: , there are only two countries where Coca-Cola is not the number one best selling soft drink. For an extra point, please name them.*

Fi

* is this what's known as a pop quiz??

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Peardrax from Trinidad - a wonderful pear-flavoured soda.

I second the rec for Antarctica Guarana.

I really enjoy Chilsung Cider from Korea.

And though not technically a soft drink, I can't get enough of that wonderful Japanese drink Pocari Sweat.

The worst - an Iranian yoghurt soda flavoured with mint, black pepper, and salt. And I've heard Kinnie from Malta is quite nasty.

My favorite of all time was a soda from France called Liptonic. I had it back in '94 and still have one bottle left of it. (I'm sure it's since turned, but hey - maybe it ages well!) It was a lime-flavoured iced tea soda. So, sooooooo good!

I'm a fan of Limonata. The version by pelligrino is pretty common here in DC, but I've heard that you can get better brands in Italy. Also, ginger beer. Haven't tried Ting, but I'll look for it.

Malta (can't remember the name)

Kinnie. It's like root beer but worse.

Interestingly :hmmm: , there are only two countries where Coca-Cola is not the number one best selling soft drink. For an extra point, please name them.*

Fi

* is this what's known as a pop quiz??

Brazil is one of them, I believe -- Guarana Antarctica is I think the leader.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

no no - it wasn't kinnie - it's from a South American country - i've tried a lot of their maltas - Malta Goya, Malta India, and another one whose name I can't remember. That was my favorite of the bunch.

Think guinness, but thinner and sweeter. and non-alcoholic.

I'm a fan of Limonata. The version by pelligrino is pretty common here in DC, but I've heard that you can get better brands in Italy. Also, ginger beer. Haven't tried Ting, but I'll look for it.

Limonata and Aranciata is good -- I like some of the other Pellegrino sodas too, such as their Israeli Grapefruit (Pompelmo) and Blood Orange (La Rossa) flavors.

Brazil is one of them, I believe -- Guarana Antarctica is I think the leader.

Interesting! I've always had it on good authority (ie hearsay) that the two countries are:

1. Malta - biggest seller is the disgusting Kinnie (also comes in diet version - I mean why do they even bother)

2. Scotland - where we go for Irn Bru. which doesn't taste like liquid bubble gum at all, oh no.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I haven't tried lots of sodas from different countries but am intrigued by those already listed by other people--especially good grapefruit and ginger ones.

One that have I tried and like is Almdudler in Austria. One aspect I really like about it is that it is not overly sweet.

Here is a description: "A not overly-sweet citrus soft drink with a hint of various Alpine herbs. In Austria it's as common as Orangina is to the French."

I like Pellegrino's Sansbitter and am also interested in trying another Italian bitter soda, Stappj recently discussed on another thread. stappj

I admit to sometimes searching out "Coca Cola Light" AKA 'Diet Coke' when I've been traveling Europe--to satisfy that cold carbonated caffeine craving... This thread will remind be to branch out during future ramblilngs.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Bundaberg Ginger Beer. No, let's be a little more emphatic. Bundaberg Ginger Beer. Actually brewed; still a little cloudy from the yeast and bits of ginger. It's from Australia, and it's damned good. There was only one place in my neck of the woods that carried it and - as can probably be surmised from my use of the past tense - they don't any more. I suppose it was just as well that I bought all five cases in the store the last time they had it. I'm now down to half that, and I have no idea what I'm going to do when they're gone. :sad:

The Mrs wonders why I can't make bourbon last as long... :laugh:

It's also the best morning-after drink I've ever found to mitigate the effects of a night of delightful overindulgence.

I once purchased a tarragon-flavored soda from Georgia (that's Georgia in the Caucasus, not south of the Mason-Dixon) in the "international foods" aisle of my local grocer. I think I can say with some certainty that I will not be repeating that little experiment.

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

I once purchased a tarragon-flavored soda from Georgia (that's Georgia in the Caucasus, not south of the Mason-Dixon) in the "international foods" aisle of my local grocer. I think I can say with some certainty that I will not be repeating that little experiment.

I've had this on several occasions. I don't know if I really enjoy it or dislike it. It has a weird dish-soap aftertaste, but can be quite pleasant. It's much better than kvas!