• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snow crabs

wattacetti

Snow crabs.

I've been asked to pick a wine to serve at a dinner where snow crabs will be the centre of attention. Problem is, I don't know how the things are going to be prepared, and the only adjective I've been given is "simply" (what, boiled with lemon garnish?). :huh:

I'm prepared to sacrifice any of the following, though the Cloudy Bay would really hurt, since availability in Canada is spotty at best.

Burrowing Owl Pinot Gris 2002

Kim Crawford Pinot Gris 2003

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2002

Dr. Thanisch Kabinett Riesling 2001

Chablis premier cru Montée du Tonnerre 2000

Am currently leaning towards the Riesling and the Chablis, though I suppose the Crawford PG could do as well. Comments or does everyone throw up their hands?

Snow crabs.

I've been asked to pick a wine to serve at a dinner where snow crabs will be the centre of attention. Problem is, I don't know how the things are going to be prepared, and the only adjective I've been given is "simply" (what, boiled with lemon garnish?). :huh:

I'm prepared to sacrifice any of the following, though the Cloudy Bay would really hurt, since availability in Canada is spotty at best.

Burrowing Owl Pinot Gris 2002

Kim Crawford Pinot Gris 2003

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2002

Dr. Thanisch Kabinett Riesling 2001

Chablis premier cru Montée du Tonnerre 2000

Am currently leaning towards the Riesling and the Chablis, though I suppose the Crawford PG could do as well. Comments or does everyone throw up their hands?

I've not had either pinot gris'.

You did not say who the producer of the Montée du Tonnerre was but that vineyard can make some pretty angular wine when it's young; I'd let that one sleep unless you've had it before and are satisfied that it's showing well.

The riesling should be lovely as should the sauvignon (which showed lots of grapefruit the last time I tried it).

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

Hmm, serving crab simply to me would mean a dinner of steamed crab, melted butter, lemon, parlsied potatoes, and creamed or sauteed spinach.

One time we were having King Crab Legs for dinner (similar but larger and easier to eat than Snow Crab), but we forgot to buy lemons. The Riesling Kabinet we had with them was just perfect. Not that the Kabinet was lemony, but it has just the right balance of acid & fruit to compliment the seafood.

So that's where my vote goes.

Edited to add, I have no idea about the specifics of the 2001 Rieslings.

The 2001 Riesling is very likely shut down. The majority of '01s I have had recently have not shown well.

For what it's worth, a 2001 Egon Muller, Scharzhofberger Kab. showed very well indeed about a week ago. I have not had the Thanisch.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I think steamed seafood with drawn butter happens to be one of the very rare occasions when a big, rich California Chardonnay is a good pairing.

I'd use this as an excuse to open a Napa Chardonnay.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

Thanks for all the replies. The snow crab will apparently be simple, as in steamed, with no garnish and no sauces. Boiled potato as accompanyment (if it weren't for the presence of the crab, I would have thought Irish meal).

Anyway, I wound up sending the Montée du Tonnerre (it's Louis Michel) and the Burrowing Owl Pinot (must protect supply of Cloudy Bay). Should have an interesting comment or two in the coming days.