• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Day at The Races

docsconz

Any interest in an eGullet picnic at Saratoga Race Track this summer? I'm envisioning a Saturday or Sunday at the track with a potluck (or themed pot luck) eGullet picnic.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If it's a Sunday I'm in. We should all have options for lodging. :hmmm:

This is true unless one lives within daytrip-range. Saratoga is about 2.5 hours north of NYC, right up I87.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Lodging directly in and around Saratoga Springs is very pricey during summer in general and racing season in particular - there is also often a multi-night stay required on peak weekends. The Albany / Latham area has many decent lodging options at more realistic prices and is only a 20 - 25 minute drive from the track. I anticipate staying overnight if we do this on a Saturday. Should we neeed a designated driver to get a few imbibing folks to and from the hotel area to the track I'll volunteer as I don't drink anyway.

Other areas to consider would be Lake George, Glens Falls or even up at Friends Lake Inn in Chestertown. That would be approximately an hour's drive to the track, but is probably the nicest place to stay (and eat) in the area, including Saratoga. Glens Falls would be 15-30 minutes to the track with Lake George another 5-30 minutes from that, depending on where on the lake one is. There are a number of placesd to stay of varying prices and amenities, from campsites to Luxury Resorts.

This would need to take place either the end of July or the first three weeks of August. We should probably decide on a date soon if enough people are interested who would need to secure lodging as that is the prime season and lodging goes fast.

I initially said Saturday or Sunday. Lreda has nominated Sunday as the day of the week to shoot for. Any other thoughts or preferences at this point. I believe either day would be good as far as the track goes. My main suggestion would be to avoid Travers weekend as that gets insanely crowded. That tends to be toward the end of August.

If we did it on a Sunday and there is enough interest I could probably also put together an eGullet dinner for either Saturday or Sunday evenings for anyone who would be in the area then. The restaurants I would propose would be Chez Sophie or Springwater Bistro in Saratoga or Friends Lake Inn in Chestertown (for Saturday). If people were interested in either of the Saratoga restaurants, arrangements should be made soon.

Twitter - @docsconz

Manchester is another good option as is Cambridge, NY. The Cambridge Hotel is a nice place and also has a good restaurant.

Twitter - @docsconz

Just remember to get to the track early if you want to get a good table. On Sunday's for give-away day, some people sleep out the night before. Forget Travers Weekend, it is a total zoo with upwards of twice as many people as any other weekend.

Plan on getting there no later than 9:00 am for a table.

And I would second either Springwater Bistro or Chez Sophie for dinner. Also worthwhile is to go to Sargo's at Saratoga National Golf Course for a drink on the patio before dinner. Good drinks in a beautiful setting overlooking the 18th hole. I've only had appetizers (which were very good) but I hear the food there is also top notch. If you like golf, the Saratoga National Golf Course is a GREAT course. Nothing better than getting one of the early tee times, having a few Bloody Mary's, and still making the first race at the track.

I'm going up with a group of 12 opening weekend (July 29-Aug 1). We typically sit in the grandstand Thursday and Friday and picnic on Saturday with stuff picked up from the Putnam Market.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

what fun. I haven't been to Saratoga Springs in years. Racetrack in a big floppy hat. :smile: I've been dying to go to Chez Sophie, I'm even on their e-mail list.

I'd love to join you if I can get my act together the same weekend you're going. If not, me and my big floppy hat will be there in spirit.

Count me in. If lucky, I should have my filly running up there. Friends Lake Inn has one on the best wine list on the east coast and its lodging facilities are excellent albeit expensive. Chez Sophie and Chez Pierre are great choices to dine.

Staying on Wolf Road in Colonie is also an option, but the dining choices there are limited. The best in that are is probably the Cock & Bull (about a 20-minute drive west).

It takes me just under three hours to drive from Staten Island and I normally stay at a B&B in town - The Chestnut Tree Inn (518) 587-8681. Great Victorian inn with an excellent hostess.

As an aside, the horse Friends Lake should be one of the favorites for the Kentucky Derby on May 1st.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Like Doc said, we should move quickly to assign a date to this.

Corporate planning is already chewing into available dates at the Paddock Tent. While of course we cannot reserve picnic tables in advance, it would be nice to set this up with a few tenative dates.

Opening day is Thursday, July 28.

This leaves us with the following weekend dates.

7/30-8/1

8/7-8/8 The Whitney Handicap and the Jim Dandy

814-8/15

8/21-8/22

8/27-8/28 The Travers Weekend

woodburner

At this point in time I would be leaning towards either Sunday August 8th, 15th or 22nd for the picnic. Any preferences? I would like to have a date nailed down by the end of April, especially if people are interested in getting together for a dinner the Saturday night before., since I would like to make some arrangements with a restaurant ASAP given that that is the busy night of the busy season. In addition deciding on a specific day now would be useful for anyone needing to make lodging arrangements.

Edited by docsconz (log)

Twitter - @docsconz

So far interested parties include:

• docsconz
  • woodburner
  • phaelon56
  • Lreda
  • robert40
  • coughy
  • sammy
  • alacarte
  • rich

This provides an excellent starting point. How many of you might be interested in a Saturday evening dinner at one of the mentioned restaurants? Please include likely numbers for that event. I am not asking for any commitment right now, just a sense of the numbers.

Twitter - @docsconz

You can tentatively sign me up for picnic, not dinner. I don't know my schedule for the summer yet for sure (I usually miss one weekend) but I should be around the Sundays you are discussing.

You can tentatively sign me up for picnic, not dinner. I don't know my schedule for the summer yet for sure (I usually miss one weekend) but I should be around the Sundays you are discussing.

Excellent! I was wondering when you were going to chime in :wink::laugh: .

Twitter - @docsconz

Count me in for the picnic (plus husband). We're an hour and change away just east of Manchester, VT. Any Sunday works for us, as long as we have a week or two's notice to find places to stow the children.

I'm bringing a dessert. :biggrin:

Count me in for the picnic (plus husband). We're an hour and change away just east of Manchester, VT. Any Sunday works for us, as long as we have a week or two's notice to find places to stow the children.

I'm bringing a dessert. :biggrin:

Outstanding! You're on the list.

Twitter - @docsconz

I can do any of those dates - count me in for the Saturday dinner. Possibly plus one. I've been busy girlfriend shopping but not sure whether I'll have one all picked out and ready to introduce to the eGulleteers by then (or one may come and go before then.... who knows?) :wink:

Slightly OT.

Mrs JPW and I are prepping for our annual trip to the Saratoga Springs Jazz fest at end of June. We usually arrive a day early and have yet to find a truly special place for dinner.

I'll have to try one of the places listed above and report back before you all head up to the races.

Any other suggestions out there?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Slightly OT.

Mrs JPW and I are prepping for our annual trip to the Saratoga Springs Jazz fest at end of June. We usually arrive a day early and have yet to find a truly special place for dinner.

I'll have to try one of the places listed above and report back before you all head up to the races.

Any other suggestions out there?

Where have you tried already? The suggestions are my best ones at this time.

Twitter - @docsconz

I can do any of those dates - count me in for the Saturday dinner. Possibly plus one. I've been busy girlfriend shopping but not sure whether I'll have one all picked out and ready to introduce to the eGulleteers by then (or one may come and go before then.... who knows?) :wink:

Owen, good luck with your quest, although a guy with your talents shouldn't have too much of a problem!

Twitter - @docsconz