• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pittsburgh Food?!?

grumbl3

Am I the only one that is from Pittsburgh? I saw several helpful and enlightening info on PLCB, but none on Pittsburgh food or restaurants.

I saw the references to this site in the New York Times. Thought I'd check it out. Nice site. Disappointed in the lack of pittsburghers representing.

Hello?! Is anyone out there?

Philadelphian here, but a great fan of the Strip. Anything new and tasty happening there?

Welcome to eGullet. We've got a few Pittsburgians here abouts but would like more. Get your eating buddies to sign up and get the conversation going.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm from Pittsburgh, but I don't live there now. I'd love to see more about current Pgh. food offerings here -- after all, I do go home to visit every once in a while! Unfortunately, when I'm visiting we usually eat at my mother's place (not unfortunate at all) and only go out with my culinarily unadventurous other relatives (the unfortunate part). I think we have gone to the same, quite pleasant but getting monotonous, Middle Eastern place in Squirrel Hill the last six times in a row now.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

HI!

I'm a vegetarian, looks like one of the few here. Anyway, had a great meal at Bikki recently. For a mid-scale (upper by 'burgh standards) place they do a good job serving the vegetarian. It seems really hard to find a celebration restaurant for the veggie crowd.

Udipi (in Monroeville near the large hindu temple) is one of the best indian restaurants I have ever been to.

Lots of new places opening in the Bloomfield area for Thai and Viet Namese.

Can't find ANY good chinese. It is all a too greasy. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Does anyone read the city paper food reviews? Why won't the writers try anything? They actually did not try any of the new vegetarian menu at a thai place because is sounded wierd. OK Chicken Ham and Fish Ham is a little odd, but it's your job. This is the info that we need.

The strip and Primanti's are nice and good and all, but there really is much more going on in this town.

We're out here, lurking. I've been meaning to post about a few recent

dining adventures in detail, but time is short and the babies are rousing...

Recent winners:

Cafe Zao - next to the O'Reilly theater downtown, just opened last week.

My wife and I ducked out for lunch there yesterday. The kinks in service still

need to be worked out, but the food was already well above typical Pittsburgh

fare. I had a clam bisque with saffron cream that was exactly what you want

on a cold rainy day, and a seafood empanada with a tomato, onion, and fennel

salad. The empanada was puff pastry filled with shrimp and salmon, and my

only complaint is that there wasn't enough of it.

Bona Terra - located on Main St. in Sharpsburg, this may have been one

of the top three meals I've had in Pittsburgh, and I've been here for 18 years.

It is competing with restaurants like Baum Vivant in terms of quality, but

it seems more affordable. I'd call the fare "Napa-style American", for lack

of a better description. The preparations are delicate, refined, and altogether

unexpected in Pittsburgh, and particularly in that location. BYOB.

Finally, I'm not a vegetarian, but it seemed to me that Kaya (strip) always had

an interesting selection of vegetarian options. We haven't been there since

the menu was revamped, so who knows. Casbah (Shadyside) seems to

do multi-course vegetarian dinners semi-frequently.

I share your complaint about food reviewers (not just for the City Paper, but

for all of the Pittsburgh papers). There isn't any real sense of perspective,

unless the topic is cheese fries or wings.

Jeff Shufelt

Well this will rub many wrong but IMO quantity is king in Pittsburgh. I can't recall having a really really good meal anywhere in the city. Well once I had a memorable meal at the Steelhead grill but I think it was more ambience and company that made that. I don't make it out there much anymore but I have eaten all over the town from carson street to mount lebo to shadyside to the strip and even up to mount washington. Food is important in the burgh but like I said it's quanity that is most promoted and appreciated.

I was at the Hyholde recently for lunch, which I think they don't do anymore, and was underwhelmed. I've also heard that restaurants have been closing downtown at a rapid rate, is that true? The southwest bistro was a good lunch spot once. It is gone now I believe.

Is it just me or has the strip really gone downhill lately as well. There is only one decent baker there selling bread, their bakery is out in the burbs I think. The rest of the shops have cut way back on specialty items and while I got some really good spanish soft cheese, montenebro, at one of the places the other cheese I bought was off and they wouldn't take it back saying I was off.

If a new restaurant opens, especially byo's, please let us know here as I'll try it when I am in town. Gracias.

Like Redfox, I am a Pittsburgher currently living in DC. I get back occasionally.

I agree that compared to the big cities that are most noted on eGullet Pittsburgh's high end restaurant scene stinks. Why? There's just not as many people in the 'burgh with the money to support a variety of high-end dining. It's a much smaller place with an economic infrastructure that has been in decline (overall) since the late 60s. It also has one of oldest populations of any urban areas in the country, young people (ie under 65) who could help make a "scene" flee it like it has the plague.

That said, I'd put some of Pittsburgh's ethnic restaurants up against the best from anywhere.

Chinese food - I don't know if it's still as good as it once was, but my dad still frequents Jimmy Tsang's on Centre Ave in East Liberty.

The Strip - The merchants there have always been testy with the public, especially on weekends (and even worse around the holidays). My first introduction to swearing came there. Don't recall the bakery situation from my last trip there about 6 months ago, but Sunseri's still has a great selection of meats, cheeses and Italian specialties.

That said, I would like to hear more from current "yinzers" as to restaurants to go to when I'm back home (East End mainly).

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Former P-Burgh resident here.

I would second the recommedation of Kaya. I am not a vegitarian, but I always thought that the menu was inventive and tasty.

I always liked the Church Brew Works. Is that place still around? It used to be near the Strip District, cross from the Iron Shitty brewery.

I also think that you can have a wonderful meal up in Mt. Washington at the Tin Angel (I think that is what it is called), right on Grandview.

Jennifer

I just moved from Pittsburgh to Atlanta last November. Here are some of my picks for the best in da 'burgh:

Cafe at the Frick - I've never had anything bad here (watch out for the snooty old guy waiter -- but all the younger ones are great). Wonderful afternoon tea service. Leave room for the desserts!!! This was definitely my all-around favorite 'burgh pick. Don't forget your leftovers or a server might snarf 'em but then again, that can get you a free dessert... (don't ask! :laugh:)

7227 Reynolds St., Point Breeze Website

Girasole - We took some friends here and they said it reminded them a lot of their recent trip to Italy, the food and atmosphere were so good. Awesome service. The escarole and beans is yummy to the tummy.

733 Copeland St., Shadyside

Bruschetta's - We went here all the time. Order the specials! They always made sure to save a slice of the Chocolate Decadence cake for my husband. Tom "the Mad Greek" and James have to be the best servers ever. Say hi to Ed and John for me :)

1831 E. Carson St., Southside Website

Le Pommier - Wonderful country french. We didn't go here nearly as much as we'd have liked.

2104 E. Carson St., Southside Website

Cafe Zinho - The goat cheese en croute with the pistachio sauce and the tomato dill bisque -- yum!

238 Spahr St., Shadyside

Gateway Grill - Really good burgers and they're pretty good about cooking them to order.

4259 Northern Pike, Monroeville

Bikki - Stick to the more simple sounding mixes of flavors and you're sure to have a winner (loved Frangiadis and his electic experimentations when he was at Isabela). Do not miss the crab souffle!

736 Bellefonte St., Shadyside Website

Isabela on Grandview - We used to be quite the regulars there but I hadn't gone since Frangiadis left. I heard the quality was still up there, just the menu got less experiemental.

1318 Grandview Ave, Mt. Washington Website

La Foret - If you want good old haute-cuisine-ish classics prepared well (i.e. filet, foie gras, sweetbreads, etc) -- go here!

5701 Bryant St., Highland Park

Dish - as much for the food as the atmosphere. Hidden off of Carson St. Cash only.

128 S. 17th St., Southside

Il Pizzaiolo - pretty good DOC-style Margherita (ask for extra basil)

703 Washington Rd., Mt. Lebanon

Carson Street Deli - great when the roast beef isn't well done.

1610 E. Carson St., Southside

Piper's Pub - Friendly bartenders who can pull a Guinness correctly and decent stick-to-your-ribs pub grub (think bangers and mash, cottege pie, Guinness stew).

1828 E. Carson St., Southside Website

Quaker Steak - it's technically a chain but the wings are tasty (get the louisiana lickers).

110 Andrew Dr., Robinson Twp

and 1298 Freedom Rd., Cranberry Twp Website

Stacker's - my husband really liked their caesar wrap.

1825 E Carson Street, Southside

Chains:

Bravo! - any of them but the one at the waterfront.

20001 Route 19, Cranberry Twp

4976 McKnight Rd., Ross Twp

and 211 Summit Park Dr., Robinson Twp Website

Mitchell's Fish Market - Can always go for some old bay peel-n-eat shrimp with a glass of Dr. Loosen Riesling. Sharfin Pie is tasty.

185 W. Waterfront Dr., Homestead Website

Cabo - Their steak fajitas, chicken burritos, and Silverado margarita are really good.

299 W. Bridge St., Homestead Website

Bar Louie - decent bar food, trendyish, order the chicken caesar sandwich.

244 W. Bridge St., Homestead Website

and 240 Station Square Dr., Station Square (Southside) Website

Honorable Mention:

Southside Steaks - can be ok as long as there's a line (so you're guaranteed a freshly-made one).

2000 E. Carson St., Southside

Tom's Diner - Good greasy spoon. Try the cinnamon bread french toast.

1715 E. Carson St., Southside

Kassab's - Lebanese, cheap.

1001 E. Carson St., Southside

Mario's - chicken fingers are good (though a tad on the greasy side).

1510 E. Carson St., Southside

Fat Head's - Not my favorite, but consistant bar food. Everyone in Pittsburgh has been here (or goes there on a Friday night :raz:)

1805 E. Carson St., Southside Website

Dowe's on 9th - Only had an appetizer here when I went for a work meeting. Seemed like it would be a really happening place at night with the jazz.

121 9th St., Downtown Website

There's no such thing as edible Asian food there. Don't try to kid yourself. :hmmm: It's sad when PF Changs (148 W. Bridge St., Homestead Website) really is the best. For what it's worth, the general tso's and egg drop soup at Coral Garden (1621 S Braddock Ave., Edgewood Town Center) is passable (but laughable compared to Chinese in Atlanta). India Garden (328 Atwood St., Oakland and 3813 William Penn Hwy., Monroeville Website) is ok as long as you don't eat the buffet. Heard that Namaste (3101 Banksville Rd., Banksville) is the best in town. Thai Place (5528 Walnut St., Shadyside) is not Thai at all. It's bad Chinese masquerading as even worse Thai. Bleh! Thai Me Up (1925 E. Carson St., Southside) works in a pinch (try the laab but ask for it phet mak).

Tried Lidia's (1400 Smallman St., Strip District Website) before I left and I was so not impressed. Service and food were sub par. Le Perroquet (709 Bellefonte St., Shadyside) was decent but overpriced. The only thing I thought was cool about Church Brew Works (3525 Liberty Ave., Lawrenceville Website) was the fact the brewing vats are on the altar. We went on a sunday and got a big kick out of the family saying grace behind us :rolleyes:

Skroah hit the nail on the head when they said Pittsburgh is about quantity not quality. Take Mallorca (2228 E. Carson St., Southside Website) for instance. Food is mediocre but the portions are HUGE. Garlic Shrimp (Camarones Al Ajillo) were the only thing I could handle there.

I heard that Cafe Allegro (51 S. 12th St., Southside) and Baum Vivant ( 5102 Baum Blvd., Shadyside) are awesome but never got the chance to try them out before we left. Same with Old Europe (1209 E Carson St., Southside) and Spice Island Tea House (253 Atwood St., Oakland).

That's all I can remember for now! Hope this list is of some help. Even my best meals in Pittsburgh are ranked below mediocre meals in other cities... but this list was how I made due living there for 2.5 years :wacko:

Edited by tharrison (log)

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA

all my fine dinning excursions in pittsburgh were pretty bad. but casual dinning is great. i love sausages and find this to be an amazing sausage town. much better than i get in philly. i went to a sandwich shop where you could get a fried egg on any of their sandwhiches (not an amazing feat but they actualy had it on the menu) and they also had a specialty sandwich with fries on it. if this sounds familiar and you know the name please let me know

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

You're talking about Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh's Strip district

i5009.jpg

The Strip is Pittsburgh's food distribution center. Primanti Brothers started making the sandwiches this way for the guys driving fork lifts. That way they could eat their sandwiches along with their side of fries, all with one hand while driving their fork lifts and picking orders.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Another former Pittsburgher here.........Primanti is fun and their sandwiches are unique. My mother and I had a beautiful lunch at Lidia's in the Strip not long ago.

There was a fabulous Chinese place called Peking Royal Kitchen on Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill. I had become friends with the owners and we booked a multi-course dinner for 8 which was wonderful. Don't know if it's still there or not. Probably not.

Not in Pgh. but worth the drive is the Wooden Angel in Beaver, PA. Alex Sebastian has one of the most extensive American-only wine lists I've ever seen and the food is as good as the wine.

www.wooden-angel.com

Edited by lleechef (log)

Seriously I never understood the fascination with putting cole slaw and fries on everything. Primanti Brothers I still do not comprehend why people want to eat that stuff. ick.

I'm sure that will get me flamed to holy hell on a pittsburgh thread, but I thought southside steaks was a lot better when they were busy.

Seriously I never understood the fascination with putting cole slaw and fries on everything. Primanti Brothers I still do not comprehend why people want to eat that stuff. ick.

I'm sure that will get me flamed to holy hell on a pittsburgh thread, but I thought southside steaks was a lot better when they were busy.

I like it for a couple of reasons.

1) The history. There is actually a reason that the fries and slaw go on the sandwiches. As they sing in "Fidler on the Roof" - "Tradition!!!"

2.) The incremental grease.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Babka,

Are you sure it wasn't the fumes from the Iron Shitty that overwhelmed you?

Truly the nastiest beer around.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Heh he. Brutal. Primantis is an institution of course in the burgh. I think they have one in Ft. Lauderdale as well. I would call it 2am food mostly but people eat there all day. This might help to explain the incredible obesity rate in the burgh. Not proper to bring that up in a food forum I know but I don't think the general population eat well or healthy in Pittsburgh. It was a rare day when I could finish a burgh sized meal. I generally had food for two more meals. Go to the byo la tavola on mt. washington to see what I mean.

Fat heads is another example, Burghavore heaven. Portions were massive. The beer selection is pretty good at fatheads, better than most places in Philly.

I went to Namaste and Il piazolla regularly, mentioned above, they are certainly pretty good. Dish is also good and unusual for the area. If they get more places like that they will be fine. I hope they are doing well.

I for one adore Pirmanti's, but I have to say for really good drunk food you have to go to the Original in Oakland and get a "bag o fries" with a tub of ketchup and have one of those big greeeeeeasy hoagies.

I used to go there after hanging out in the Southside, around 4am. The place was always packed.

Jennifer

Am I the only one that is from Pittsburgh? I saw several helpful and enlightening info on PLCB, but none on Pittsburgh food or restaurants.

I saw the references to this site in the New York Times. Thought I'd check it out. Nice site. Disappointed in the lack of pittsburghers representing.

Hello?! Is anyone out there?

Wow, I'm SO glad to see there IS someone up there! I live in rural Virginia and the hubby, kid and I are meeting the Anne Arbor grandparents in Pittsburgh this weekend. Looking for some suggestions that will please all... fortunately, all, inclduing the 8-year-old, are adventurous eaters so we will take ALL recs for lunch and dinner gratefully (breakfast taken care of at hotel)! Isn't the Italian up there supposed to be real good? We will be staying downtown and doing the Carnegie Museum, zoo, maybe the aviary... stuff like that, but are not averse to travelling cross-town for a fine feed. Thanks in advance!

Hmm. Downtown is hard I don't know what is down there anymore. Mostly hotel restaurants are your best bet. Most of the places down there were way over priced. 1902? has passable food but is very expensive for what you get. If I recall correctly. Hopefully someone who lives there can offer more current options.

I have to add regarding breakfast that Pamelas is not a good breakfast place. People drive to the walnut street location from the burbs on the weekend and really slam the place. I used to love Pamelas until I started going to real and healthy breakfast places the last time I went we ended up leaving w/o finishing our meal. Being surrounded by smokers didn't help things though. Opinions on this Pittsburgh breakfast legend?

Hmm. Downtown is hard I don't know what is down there anymore. Mostly hotel restaurants are your best bet. Most of the places down there were way over priced. 1902? has passable food but is very expensive for what you get. If I recall correctly. Hopefully someone who lives there can offer more current options.

I have to add regarding breakfast that Pamelas is not a good breakfast place. People drive to the walnut street location from the burbs on the weekend and really slam the place. I used to love Pamelas until I started going to real and healthy breakfast places the last time I went we ended up leaving w/o finishing our meal. Being surrounded by smokers didn't help things though. Opinions on this Pittsburgh breakfast legend?

I actually had no idea that Pamela's was a "legend". Hunh????

For a real diner breakfast, go past Shadyside Hospital on Aiken and take a left on Baum to Ritter's. Now there's a legend!

Or, go down to Ellsworth and take a right and stop in the Elbow Room for brunch. (Full disclosure - I used to work there and the owners, the DiFiores, are good friends of mine).

Downtown is NOT a good place to find good eats. Ask the concierge to point you to a good place on Carson St. on the South Side for the nearest good place to find a decent meal. Other spots near downtown that are fun - Penn Brewery on the North Side for German food, GREAT beer, and the occasional polka band; there are still a couple of good hole in the wall places up Liberty Ave. in Bloomfield.

Edited by JPW (log)

Joe W

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I wasn't clear. WE WILL DRIVE FOR FOOD!!!!! DOes not have to be downtown exclusively. Does that shake out anything else? HOw about Franco's or Abruzzi? Are they any good?

Heh he. Brutal. Primantis is an institution of course in the burgh. I think they have one in Ft. Lauderdale as well.

There's a small chain of Cleveland restaurants, owned by one of my friends in the restaurant biz, that has simulated this institution of a sandwich and have also opened a few in Florida. Ft. Myers comes to mind.... They are called Panini's.

Just as we have done in Cleveland many a late night, we did in an overnight shopping trip visit to Ikea in Pittsburgh. That sandwich was the best tasting thing, after several beers (IC Light, of course), at 2:00 a.m. :raz:

Missy,

Most of the restaurants near the Carnegie Museum are ordinary and overpriced, but you might try Il Valletto, about two blocks away. If you want Italian, though, Girasole is probably the best bet, at least of restaurants I've eaten at, and not too far away from the museums. I haven't eaten at Franco's or Abruzzi, so I don't know how they compare. I've heard that Davio's is good, but I haven't been there, either.

Some other restaurants I like (and I'm a little too poor to go to really nice restaurants lately, so this list is heavier on the hole in the wall ethnic cuisine near where I live):

Bangkok Balcony -- not really authentic thai, but much better than Thai Place

Tram's -- nice little Vietnamese restaurant in Lawrenceville/Bloomfield

Udipi -- All the way out in Monroeville, but the food is quite good.

Korea Garden -- you may not want to take an 8 year old there, as the food is rather spicy, but it's the best Korean restaurant in town. It doesn't serve Korean barbeque, however -- Young Bin Kwan is a better choice for that.

Prince of India is a good place to get a cheap dinner, and better than most of the Indian restaurants in the East End. India Garden has it's charm, but I doubt your family wants the college dining hall with Indian music videos blasting at 12:30 am experience.

Umi -- If you want to splurge -- this is a pretty good place to do it. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they had good sushi, excellent tofu, and modern Japanese cuisine. It's not what you might get in New York, but it's pretty good.

The Kashmiri truck near the museums is nice, too, if you want cart food. Which you probably don't.

I'm underwhelmed by most of the options on Carson St. Taco Loco is a nice place to go after you've been drinking all night, much preferable to Primanti Bros.