• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dylan Prime

Liza

Enjoyed our meal at Dylan Prime on Sunday but was a little surprised at the pricing structure. They have maybe five "chef's combinations" ("constructions"?) that are entrees with sides. Or you can order your cut of meat or fish with sides. OK, fine so far. But if you want a crust on the meat, it's an extra $2. If you want about two tablespoons of sauce, it's an additional $3. Is this typical for a la carte or am I easily surprised?

Otherwise, lovely salmon tartare with sesame tuiles and a tiny dollop of guacamole; fairly traditional beef carpaccio; meats were lovely; dessert of molten chocolate cake was indeed molten, almost lava-like but in a good way.

Sounds like the Craft philosophy is trickling down.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The part that is most disturbing is the additional charge for a crust on the meat.  One of the motivations for going to a steak house is the fine crust that can only be produced in a professional kitchen.  Why would they charge a supplemental charge to properly cook the steak?  Unless they are referring to a peppercorn crust, I find that additional charge offensive.

The part that is most disturbing is the additional charge for a crust on the meat.  One of the motivations for going to a steak house is the fine crust that can only be produced in a professional kitchen.  Why would they charge a supplemental charge to properly cook the steak

sir, would you like your filet grilled, or boiled.

Liza, we need a better explanation of "crust." My suspicion is that there's some foreign element involved like a pepper or mustard bread crumb thing invovled and that it's not just an extra charge for proprely cooking your meat. Perhaps it a charge for cooking a steak "well done" as aopposed to done well.

From the sound of things, I'm waiting for the return of the cover charge as well as one for bread.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yes they meant peppercorn and breadcrumbs, and the like, for the crust, but still...charging for it? Jean-Georges' black-trumpet crusted lamb, I can understand that.

I would love to know what other extras are being considered. Limes in drinks? That'll be .25, please!

This may be common in some cities, but we have a trendy Chinese restaurant here in North Carolina that charges you 75 cents if you want a fork -- yes, they're trying to be funny, but they actually charge you for the fork.

i would see their "humor" and raise them a "never returning again."  although, having lived in south carolina for some time, and spending time in tenessee (although never learning to spell it very well) i found that the choices can be somewhat limiting.  i'd sneak a fork in!

• 9 months later...

Dylan Prime, 62 Laight St, New York was packed with people at the bar and in the dining room last night. Single women take note--approximately 80 % of the people there were men.

For appetizers we had French onion soup with Gruyere cheese; Parmesan Caesar salad; bibb lettuce with Maytag blue cheese, pears and spiced walnuts; and a slow roasted tomato salad with frisee and ricotta salata. Portions were large.

The restaurant is known for their steaks which can be crusted seven different ways: Maytag Blue and chive; Parmesan Reggiano; mushroom and truffle; bacon and cheddar; lobster and tarragon; foie gras butter; and balsamic onion relish. Sauces such as bourbon, bordelaise, black pepper beurre rouge, black truffle beurre blanc and herb bearnaise are also available. Since I had so many choices I opted for a plain rib eye!

Lowell had a grilled rack of pork which came with heavenly creamy grits and a red wine mushroom sauce. Other friends had roasted free range chicken stuffed with spinach, roasted tomato and goat cheese; loin of venison with parsnip puree, Swiss chard and rosemary jus; American striped sea bass; and a special of filet mignon and lobster.

We had a few scrumptious sides--braised collard greens with smoked bacon and brown sugar; truffle corn and potato cakes; and macaroni and cheese. We were too full for dessert but did try a few after dinner dessert drinks that will be on the menu soon. My favorite was the key lime pie with the rim of the glass dipped in graham cracker crumbs.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Wine? How was the non steak food ? What about prices?

Wine was an Oregon Pinot Noir.

Soup-$8

Bibb lettuce salad-$9

Tomato salad-$11

14 oz rib eye-$28

Bass-$25

Chicken- $24

Venison-$29

Sides $7 each

I only tasted Lowell's pork chop. Food was good. The grits were fabulous! Restaurant was bustling. Lots of energy in the room.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

You are 100% right and I stand corrected. But what is Tommy talking about?

No fair, you edited---oh Grupenfheurer Perlow-- Did Rosie's edit make it within the alloted time or was she granted special priviledge? I don't see an edit note or time on the post

You are 100% right and I stand corrected. But what is Tommy talking about?

No fair, you edited---oh Grupenfheurer Perlow-- Did Rosie's edit make it within the alloted time or was she granted special priviledge? I don't see an edit note or time on the post

yes, it was certainly within 12 hours. but that still makes her a sneaky little devil. and rosie's a site coordinator and needs no special privilege. i gots ta get me a new job.

:hmmm:

Edited by tommy (log)

Just to keep the record straight...:biggrin:

Rosie

Posted: Nov 22 2002, 05:05 PM

Dylan Prime, 62 Laight St, New York was packed with people at the bar and in the dining room last night. Single women take note--approximately 80 % of the people there were men. For appetizers we had French onion soup with Gruyere cheese; Parmesan Caesar salad; bibb lettuce with Maytag blue cheese, pears and spiced walnuts; and a slow roasted tomato salad with frisee and ricotta salata. Portions were large. The restaurant is known for their steaks which can be crusted seven different ways: Maytag Blue and chive; Parmesan Reggiano; mushroom and truffle; bacon and cheddar; lobster and tarragon; foie gras butter; and balsamic onion relish. Sauces such as bourbon, bordelaise, black pepper beurre rouge, black truffle beurre blanc and herb bearnaise are also available. Since I had so many choices I opted for a plain rib eye! Lowell had a grilled rack of pork which came with heavenly creamy grits and a red wine mushroom sauce. Other friends had roasted free range chicken stuffed with spinach, roasted tomato and goat cheese; loin of venison with parsnip puree, Swiss chard and rosemary jus; American striped sea bass; and a special of filet mignon and lobster. We had a few scrumptious sides--braised collard greens with smoked bacon and brown sugar; truffle corn and potato cakes; and macaroni and cheese. We were too full for dessert but did try a few after dinner dessert drinks that will be on the menu soon. My favorite was the key lime pie with the rim of the glass dipped in graham cracker crumbs.

• 2 months later...

Had the "carpet-bagger steak" at Dylan Prime the other night. It's an 11-ounce filet mignon stuffed with oysters. Real Old New York cuisine. As one might imagine, the actual flavor of the oysters is somewhat obscured by this preparation. They do, however, provide some flavor and a very nice texture. The steak itself, by the way, is quite good. The filet -- not my favorite cut in general -- was non-mushy and had far more flavor than is typical. And the rib-eye I sampled was even better, though the guy who ordered it had it smothered in balsamic onion relish, making critical tasting somewhat difficult.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)