• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soul Food in Harlem

LESider

Well I've lived in NYC for about five years now and have made some forays into Harlem to try some of the soul food establishments. Usually I'm just happy to have some soul food and am not too picky , but in the back of my mind I thought that there was something better to be had. I've been to Charles Southern for the Chicken and its good when it's fresh and the oxtails are a knockout when fresh, but I felt most of the items had been sitting on the steam table too long. Sylvia's is a tourist joint and the food not up to par with what it may have been in the past. Miss Mamies Spoonbread II was another one where it was ok, but nothing made me want to get back there in any hurry.

Last night I ate at Amy Ruth's on 115th and I have to say it was the best meal I've had in Harlem. I had the Fried Chicken and Collard Greens and Corn Pudding. The make everything fresh to order, so you'll be sitting there a little while but it was well worth the wait. The fried chicken I ordered was a breast with the wing attached and had a nice crispy coating. I was with three others and they had the Lamb special, Roast Turkey special and Fried Catfish. I thought all the sides were good with the collards standing out for their smokiness and spice. also liked the bite of the coleslaw. I'm not much for sweet tea, that sh*t give's me a toothache and Amy Ruth's will make you call your dentist on your cell phone. So if that's your thing well good luck to you...

This place must get pretty busy on the weekend and if your thinking of brunch I can only imagine the wait. Overall I thought that this is what some good Harlem soul food could taste like and I'll be going back sometime soon.

M&G on 125th and Morningside is good and greasy soul food. There's a good, if a little upscale (soul food is supposed to be cheap and greasy, IMO, and this place caters a bit too much to the Columbia crowd, but it's not bad) place on 110th between Columbus and Manhattan. I wanna go out to Brooklyn, 'cause I heard they got some good collard greens out there. The only info I have on the place is that it's just down the street from Sean Combs's mom's soul food place (which is supposed to be overpriced and bland) out in Fort Greene.

Amy Ruth's is at 113 West 116th Street, between Malcolm X Blvd (Lenox Ave) and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd (Seventh Ave).

I liked the place when I went there once, and the service was fine. But I found the food a little bit disappointing -- in that while very good, it was not that much better than what I do at home. But then I had pretty basic stuff -- fried chicken, collards, and cheese grits. On the basis of LESider's report, I just might have to try it again.

Haven't been but hear cool stuff about "The Soul Spot" on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn

It's small and does mostly takeout.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA