• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog: Pim

pim

Good morning everyone. It appears Melkor hoodwinked me into taking the food blog duty this week. This is good and bad, actually. This week is going to be somewhat more interesting than my normally uneventful week, which is the good part, of course. The bad part is that this is not an accurate portrayal of my eating life, by any means, which could be seen as defeating the purpose of this blog. Oh well, Melkor knew this when he tagged me.

This week, I will be at home, in San Francisco, from Monday to Wednesday, and will travel to Heidelberg and Strasbourg for a few days.

So, this food blog will take you from my comparatively mundane existence in San Francisco, to exploring the exciting world of airline and airport food, to devouring assorted wurst and Bitburger in the cold in Heidelberg, and to perhaps a more refined French culinary scene of Strasbourg. This might be fun, no?

Breakfast today looks like this

breakfast5.jpg

A bowl of latte, a glass of orange juice, a slice of toast with butter and jam, a bowl of yogurt with a dollop of jam in it.

The latte is homemade, from Francis! Francis! X5, using Illy espresso pod (yes, I am a pod person). I’m not sure if Melkor will approve of my foam though. The bread is Delle Frattoria’s Pain Intégral, bought at the ferry plaza farmer’s market on Saturday. The butter is Strauss Family Creamery lightly salted butter. I always use salted butter to eat out of hand, unsalted is, to me, only for cooking. The jam, or ahem, confiture, is from the grande dame of confitures, Christine Ferber. The one on the bread today is Reine Claude d’Alsace, the dollop in the Strauss Yogurt is Framboises d’Alsace et Violette. (Hmm, I just noticed that I use two jams from Alsace this morning, perhaps I’m already unconsciously prepping myself for the trip). The Yogurt is Strauss Family Creamery organic whole milk plain yogurt. I never buy flavored yogurt, preferring to use my own jams to flavor it. This gives me more variety and also a chance to control the level of sweetness to my own taste.

And for those of you who’re wondering, no I don’t eat like this every day. But, no, I’m not doing this to make my blog interesting, well, not entirely, anyway. I’m working from home this morning, and this is usually what my breakfast is like when I work from home. I live in SF, my office is in San Jose, which, for those of you who’re not in this area, is 45 miles (72 km) away. I also work a lot with teams from different time zones, resulting in many conference calls commencing at ungodly hours in the morning. When this happens, instead of getting up at the crack of dawn to get to the office, I just stay home and call into the meetings in my pajamas. (TMI?)

[edited to resize the photo. Thanks Melkor. I'm such an idiot.]

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

As long as the foam in your latte doesn't look like the cappuccino with rabies I got the other day I approve.

Considering that I'm working from home in my pajamas, I think it's either not TMI or we are both guilty :laugh:

Ya might wanna scale those pics down though so the unlucky folks with lower res screens don't need to scroll.

Lunch is a bento box of pork in ginger/sesame sauce, with a few sunomono (cold things, including pickles and some cold stewed vegetables, and one gyoza (Japanese dumpling). I picked up the box from a Japanese grocery store in Japantown, on my way down to work.

LunchSmall.jpg

It looked better than it was, actually. The sauce was so cloying sweet that I barely finished half of it.

Perhaps I will have better luck at dinner time.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I frequently work from home in pajamas as well. My theory is as long as I don't have video-teleconfrencing, it's acceptable. Now, the fuzzy bunny slippers are another story. :raz::laugh:

And Pim, you neglected to provide details on the orange juice. Is it fresh squeezed? Or store bought?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I frequently work from home in pajamas as well. My theory is as long as I don't have video-teleconfrencing, it's acceptable. Now, the fuzzy bunny slippers are another story. :raz::laugh:

Some of us wish we could work from home!!! :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

pim,

how do you like the francis! francis!? i've had one on my amazon wishlist for 2 years!

reesek,

I love it. I must admit, though, that I am not really a coffee person. I am more of a tea snob. The reason I got this one was because I was so sick of over-roasted and burnt lattes I get from local cafes. When I saw Illy advertised the Illy a Casa deal, I snapped it up.

I was convinced on the pods after reading Jeffrey Steingarten's review of it a while back. So I ordered the pods, and have been quite happy with them. I make pretty good espresso shots every time, definitely beat anything I get at cafes around here, and there is absolutely no mess.

I am proudly a Pod girl.

The machine is pretty good too. I've never had a problem with it, really.

cheers,

Pim

P.S. If Illy still had this deal, you might want to consider it. I think it's great.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I frequently work from home in pajamas as well.  My theory is as long as I don't have video-teleconfrencing, it's acceptable.  Now, the fuzzy bunny slippers are another story.  :raz::laugh:

And Pim, you neglected to provide details on the orange juice.  Is it fresh squeezed?  Or store bought?

:biggrin: That's precisely why I have never been able to install a camera on my computer at home. Darn difficult, the install.... :wink:

The orange juice is store bought, Odwalla from Whole Foods.

--Pim, off now to cook dinner

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Dinner tonight. Stir-fried shrimps and instant noodles with basil and chili paste. Bah-mi Goong Pad Prik-pao.

dinnerstuff.jpg

GoongPrikPao1.jpg

The ingredients were shown in the picture, some shrimps, 1 packet of instant noodle (pre-cooked to al dente), about 2 cloves of garlic, a bit of julienned bell peppers and onions, a handful of basil, and, of course, Nam-prik Pao (Chili Paste).

I make my own Nam-prik Pao, but when I am desperate I buy the Pantainorasingh Brand.

To make this dish, begin with a hot pan, add to it some oil, then the onions. Sweat them a little, then in goes the garlic (chopped), the shrimps, the bell peppers, a few splash of fish sauce then stir everything around well. Add a table spoon or two of the Nam-prik Pao, depending on taste. Next goes the cooked noodle, stir everything around again, taste it to check the seasonings. Throw in one or two smashed bird-eye chilies if you want more heat. The basil leaves go in last, turn off the heat. You’re done.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I frequently work from home in pajamas as well.  My theory is as long as I don't have video-teleconfrencing, it's acceptable.  Now, the fuzzy bunny slippers are another story.  :raz::laugh:

Some of us wish we could work from home!!! :smile:

some of us just wish we could have bunny slippers! (me)

x

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

What's in the nam-prik pao?  (Give us a generic recipe, if you don't feel like listing specifics.)

Thanks, pim.

Soba

No, no! A recipe, please please pleeeeezzz?! :biggrin: I always have way too many hot peppers in my garden. I know, too many hardly seems possible...

Thanks! And great pictures by the way! I'm looking forward to hearing about Heidelberg. I spent a summer there after college when I was a vegetarian. What a waste of an excellent eating opportunity!! Well, not completely. Every morning we'd walk to the local bakery for fresh bread and cheese. I absolutely loved this very soft, rich, probably triple-cream cheese with fresh green peppercorns in it. Anyone know what that was? I haven't been able to find it in the US, even through the importers we deal with. Hmmm... It was probably a raw milk cheese and that's why. Hrmph!! Good food is wasted on the youth! :hmmm:

Julie Layne

"...a good little eater."

breakfast.jpg

A simple one. A bowl of yogurt with a big spoonful of jam, and a cafe au lait. The jam today is perhaps not a jam at all, but candied seville peels in rose geranium syrup by our very own Grand Lady of Preserves, June Taylor. Her candied peels are one of my favorite things in this world. I must say I am compelled to use her product today, being a fellow Bay Area dweller and all, since I used Mdme.Ferber's yesterday.

The yogurt is, but of course, Strauss.

The cafe au lait (aka latte) is today in a glass instead of my usual bowl. And for those of you who are wondering, yes, I did it just to show off the foam. tee hee.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Illy still has their X5 deal going... here's the link.

oh melkor and pim...this could be very bad for me...you can't have any idea how small my kitchen is...my kitchenaid has to live in a closet - i thought i was safe on the francis francis due to cost...thanks for the link - i think. :blink:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Illy still has their X5 deal going... here's the link.

oh melkor and pim...this could be very bad for me...you can't have any idea how small my kitchen is...my kitchenaid has to live in a closet - i thought i was safe on the francis francis due to cost...thanks for the link - i think. :blink:

the espresso machine doesn't have to be in the kitchen - I'm sure you'll find room for it somewhere :laugh:

No, no! A recipe, please please pleeeeezzz?! :biggrin: I always have way too many hot peppers in my garden. I know, too many hardly seems possible...

Hmm...despite the name, chili paste, or roasted chili paste, there's no fresh hot peppers in it. I use chili powder.

And Soba, this thing is far too finicky for a recipe. I've tried, actually. David Thompson has one in his book, I've never used it, but perhaps it might work. Mine has pretty much has the same ingredients, except I don't use galangal. I only use garlic, shallots, tamarind, shrimp paste, dried shrimps, fish sauce and chilies.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Lunch was picked up on the run at the local boulangerie on Pine St.

lunch.2.10.jpg

A baguette sandwich of portabello mushroom, chèvre, roasted bellpeppers, and lettuce, and a tiny cannelé de bordeaux for a sweet finish.

Lunch2.10-2.jpg

I had to eat this on the run, in my car, racing from one meeting to the next. The sandwich still tasted pretty good, though.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Fascinating stuff! Thanks for blogging.

I had no idea about that Illy deal. :shock::unsure: I've been telling my wife I'm not going to become one of those espresso nuts, but man.... that's a good deal. Isn't it?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"