• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suspicious Tuna

Liza

I noticed this in Miami last summer - raw tuna oozing pink juices. I've just visited the Grand Central market (on a carrot cake reconnaissance mission) and noticed the tuna at Pescatore to be suspiciously pink, nearly magenta. Tuna at Wild Edibles was reliably deep ruby, or maroon.

Is this a common practice? Is this dangerous? Am I right to be suspicious?

I've not heard any claims of dyed tuna, though I suppose anything is possible. Remember, though, that "tuna" encompasses many species with flesh ranging from pale to deep red and within each species the color of the flesh is affected by diet, climate, exercise, and where on the body the particuar cut comes from. Probably other factors too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

tommy, I knew I smelt something fishy.  Lets not flounder and ruin this opportunity to make eGullet the sole Group, er... board... which appreciate fish in this unique fashion.  Mullet over.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

This is like one of those late-night radio call-in shows where the host is taking various calls about sports and world affairs and such and then some guy calls up and intiates a word game with the host that apparently they have played before. They have great fun and then the talk returns to current events.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thank you, gentlemen, for making me supremely glad I started this profoundly influential topic. But maybe, just for the hake of it, we could get back to the pink gooey stuff?

This has opened up a kettle of fish.  I think Liza has tried to mackerel attempt to get back to the subject.  I think she's haddock up to here with all these puns.  It's all very shad.

BTW, Liza, why wasn't the pink goo just blood?

Fat Guy, you're not suggesting this whole thread is a fluke or that the red gooey stuff is a red herring, are you?

Liza, I assure you that if I had any information about this I'd be forthcoming and not clam up and threat this as a joke.

I take some solace in just knowing that tommy recognized tuna as a fish and not a component of his stereo sytem.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It's all very shad.

Just another plaice on shad roe for all you crabs to complain about.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

- Halibut was already taken. I was going for the less obvious. Ergo hake. But why am I explaining this? Get back to the oozing pink liquid! Cripes, people, this could be up there with Olestra's "anal leakage" and some other disgusting food related thing.