• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Lupe - what's the deal?

deprofundis

Hi folks, I'm new here. This is my first post. Anyways...

I heard and read some good things about La Lupe (Mexican place on 9th St. behind Geno's) so I decided to check the place out for lunch today. The food, to put it quite frankly, sucked. Let me elaborate...

This place has the menu posted on the door, so I looked it over before walking in. There are literally hundreds of items on the menu. In my experience, this is a Bad Thing. For example, ever go to a diner that has a menu that's longer than War and Peace? Usually they do basic things well (eggs, pancakes, tuna sandwiches), but order the Surf and Turf and you're guaranteed to get burned. But I digress.

I walked in the door and took a look around. Obviously not a fancy place, so the decor was fine. I'm just as happy standing in the cold eating a Geno's cheesesteak as I am escargots at Le Bec-Fin. You can tell this place is really authentic Mexican cuisine, I would not argue that. I sat down and ordered two simple items: chorizo taco and goat taco. The service was friendly. Everything is going ok so far. Then the food arrived.

They seem to use fresh, quality ingredients here. And the meat was cooked with care. The presentation was very nice. I took a bite of the goat taco. The meat was perfectly cooked and delicate. I took another bite - and bit into [what I'm assuming was] a goat bone the size of my thumb (no exaggeration). Ok, I'm going to assume this is a rare incident and chalk it up to chance. But really, how could they be so careless? I didn't complain, just pulled out the bone and kept eating. Yes, the ingredients seemed excellent and the meat was wonderfully cooked, but the food was VERY bland, imho. Not really any taste at all. Maybe my American palate is just used to our bastardized version of Mexican. If that be the case, I may as well stay out of restaurants like this in the future.

Once the goat taco was done, I started on the chorizo taco. How could sausage, the spiciest meat, be bland? Well, the chorizo was OK. Nothing to write home about. BUT it was extraordinarily greasy. I'm talking a couple tablespoons of grease dripping from this one little taco. Anyway, the chorizo taco was pretty average. My brother, who I was dining with, ordered the La Lupe sandwich. I did not have a bite, but he said it was OK.

I can't complain about the prices for this place. The tacos were only about $2 each. But the food, even though it seemed like quality food, was thoroughly flavorless. Does anybody else have any comments/experiences about my review or this place that they'd like to share? Thanks for reading.

-Matt

The one time I was there was a year or so ago and was after significant alcohol consumption.

I enjoyed it and thought the food was superb.

I'm disappointed your experience wasn't similar.

All I can say is I'd give it at least one more chance before dismissing it entirely.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I too found the tacos to be extremely greasy in my (admittedly only one) experience there.

Try Washington Avenue a couple blocks south of La Lupe.

Taqueria Veracruzana was the first (to my knowledge) authentic taqueria in South Philly and, therefore, set the standard. I like it just fine, but a friend that spent a significant amount of time in Tijuana - with his Mexican national fiancee - tought it fair to middling.

Plaza Garibaldi - my favorite of the lot - is across the street and a little more upscale. Excellent queso fundido (better than Los Catrines).

Rio Bravo - a little further west - is a little more ambitious and does some seafood dishes.

Elsewhere in the city, there's a couple of places on South Street - the one that's NOT El Rey Sol is supposed to be better. And don't forget Las Cazueles, which I'd put at the next level, and Los Catrines (of course) and Zocalo at yet the next level.

The first time I ate there I got barbacoa, chorizo, and ... something else.

I threw up later that night.

But I shared with a couple people who didn't puke, so I gave it another chance. Mighty tasty. I've been back a few times since, and enjoyed it ever since.

I admit I have to wonder, though, when you complain about a chorizo taco dripping loads of grease everywhere--that's pretty much what chorizo does. From the nicest restaurant to the crappiest, chorizo is what it is, and it's greasy.

I've given La Lupe 3 chances and 3 times I've been pretty disappointed. I had higher expectations. I haven't had any regurgitation experiences like mrbigjas (yikes!), but have had some semi revolting service and tastes. If I ever go back,I know now that I will not ever order anything other than Tacos (ONLY beef, al Pastor, or chicken) and Tamales. Their tortillas are superb, as well as their tamales. I tried their Mole and their Alambre and truly regretted it, the dishes were a joke.

Spoon!

Word on PG's mole. Good stuff.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that so many have had bad experiences at La Lupe. I've been there a few times now (drunk and sober) and have always been happy with it. Tacos are good (though Veracruzana's are better), burritos are good, tortas are terrific. I've had a fine enchilada there as well.

Try Washington Avenue a couple blocks south of La Lupe.

I think you mean north?

Elsewhere in the city, there's a couple of places on South Street - the one that's NOT El Rey Sol is supposed to be better.

Do you mean the burrito place at like 5th and South (next to McDonalds?) They do have pretty good, Mission-style burritos.

Big fan of La Lupe here.

My two regular orders are huevos ranchero con chorizo and sopas. Plenty of flavor but not spicy hot. Not all Mexican food or chorizo is spicy.

I've also had the enchaladas with green sauce.

Nothing fancy. Friendly folk, down home Mexican fare. And especially a stop when the temperatures are warmer and their walls disappear into the ceiling.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I eat at La Lupe regularly and I love the place. I enjoy the food. Have yet to try anything bad. The first two times I had the goat tacos I admit they were gamey and had some bone in with them. The last two times, the meat has been rich and flavorful, very tender and delicious. La Lupe is my favorite.

They seem to use fresh, quality ingredients here. And the meat was cooked with care. The presentation was very nice. I took a bite of the goat taco. The meat was perfectly cooked and delicate. I took another bite - and bit into [what I'm assuming was] a goat bone the size of my thumb (no exaggeration). . . .

Once the goat taco was done, I started on the chorizo taco. How could sausage, the spiciest meat, be bland? Well, the chorizo was OK. Nothing to write home about. BUT it was extraordinarily greasy. . .

I can't complain about the prices for this place. The tacos were only about $2 each. But the food, even though it seemed like quality food, was thoroughly flavorless. Does anybody else have any comments/experiences about my review or this place that they'd like to share? Thanks for reading.

-Matt

Wow, sounds great! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Welcome Deprofundis! Glad you could join us here in the PA forum. Looking forward to your contributions to discussions and some instigation from you as well! :biggrin:

I think I'm in agreement with Dannyboy. Nothing is tastier than the super fresh tortillas off the griddle/comal thingie they have set up.

Tacos there have always been "berry berry gud to me". Never had the gastric distress poor Jas. had! I'm particularly fond of the chicken tacos myself, as well as the picadillo tacos. Chicken ones with the salsa verde, picadillo with the red. Veracruzana is good too, as many have agreed, but the fresh tortillas just rock at La Lupe. Definitely gives them the slight edge for me. I also really like their guacamole.

Herb and I *were* pretty trashed that night we had full on dinner there. We'd just come from a wine tasting so calling us tipsy would be quite diplomatic.trink22.gif I do recall finding the whatever-it-was-in-the-mole-sauce quite appealing, however. Gotta get me over to Plaza Garibaldi to check out their mole after the raves here!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi, now I'm craving mexican and it's SO COLD out so I don't feel like going down the market, and Pico de Gallo (which is now open) doesn't open till 3.

I shoulda never read this thread.

Methinks that the Taqueria delivers!...

Spoon!

Hi, now I'm craving mexican and it's SO COLD out so I don't feel like going down the market, and Pico de Gallo (which is now open) doesn't open till 3.

I shoulda never read this thread.

Methinks that the Taqueria delivers!...

I don't know if Veracruzana delivers, but La Lupe definitely does. Never tried it, though.

I thought the mole at La Lupe was excellent.

I had always disliked Mexican food until I sent some time in the Southwest and got some of the real thing. La Lupe on the whole seemed to be to be light years better and more authentic than most stuff that historically has passed as Mexican around here.

I do hear great things about the Veracruz tacos, and they are on my list.

Pico de Gallo (which is now open)

Has anybody eaten there yet? I walked by today and checked out the menu. Carnitas plate- good. All you can eat menudo on weekends- VERY good! I may have to get stinking drunk on Saturday night, just so I can go there on Sunday and properly enjoy the tripey goodness.

I may have to get stinking drunk on Saturday night, just so I can go there on Sunday and properly enjoy the tripey goodness.

Now see, now you're talkin my language.

Regarding your first question, I do know one person who has. He said it was good, but a little pricier than he expected. But I think his basis of comparison was El Rey Sol, which is dirt cheap, and Pico de Gallo isn't the same kind of place.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread up because I ran into a friend at the Italian Market festival on Saturday, and she informed me sadly that she's given up on La Lupe. She said she loves their vegetable burrito, and several other menu items, but she's just not prepared to wait 45 minutes to an hour for her meal every time she goes there.

I mentioned that I'd heard some others say the same thing lately (I think I was thinking of this thread, which--well, five months is KINDA lately, in some circles), and she said "It just seems like they don't give a shit."

So, anyone been back lately? I tend to stick with Veracruzana or Garibaldi just because I like their food better, but I'm interested to know about La Lupe.

Really? I've been there twice in the last month or two, and while the service isn't exactly licketly-split, it hasn't been slow, either: maybe a 10 or 15 minute wait for my food. Definitely nowhere near an hour. Both times were in the afternoon (one weekday, one weekend); don't know if that makes a difference. (For what it's worth, I've always found LL's service to be friendlier than Tacqueria Veracruzana: not that TV is rude, just not particularly warm, at least to a gringo like me. Doesn't stop me from going there.)

One time I had a bowl of posole, which I hadn't had before, but was pretty damn good: big, lots of hominy (not as much meat as I'd like, alas), with a tostada on the side.

I agree that each place has its strengths: I stick with the tacos at TV, and usually get the enchiladas at Plaza Garibaldi. It's LL for burritos, though.

When La Lupe first opened they were dreadfully slow. But I'm a regular there, one or two times a week and today for breakfast. I prefer Garibaldi for dinner (last night was great), but enjoy La Lupe's open outdoorness for breakfast or lunch. And as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, the huevos rancheros and sopas, as well as their enchiladas verde are muy bueno.

Anyway, for breakfast or lunch service is quite speedy, though you sometimes have to work at catching eyes for a coffee refill or the check.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

You know, I've gotta try breakfast at LL one of these days. I loves me some huevos rancheros, and there's nothing better than beans at breakfast. The problem, of course, is getting my lazy ass down there in the morning...