• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Ice Cream Shops in Boston?

jeff29992001

i hrd that ice cream is a tradition in boston in both hot, and cold weather. in sleet and ice, how good is business? lines out the door, over 10 ppl per hour?

and where are the best ice cream shops located in boston, and cambridge areas? (other areas welcome).

Christina's is the best! They have 30+ flavors at a time, carrot cake and cardamom and a great champagne sorbet. I also like Herrell's, already mentioned, and JP Licks, Coolidge Corner, Brookline.

Has anyone tried Athan's gelato in Brookline, Washington Sq. area? It is also supposed to be great.

Adding a vote, and soft spot, for Herrells - that's where we got engaged one lovely February afternoon. And yes, there were people there at that time of year but not a large crowd (they closed off the bank vault for us)

Edited by Sheri-FB (log)

Any good gelato places in the North End?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Another vote for Christina's. I went there after feasting at East Coast Grill the other night. I had Mexican Chocolate (Chocolate with spices and just a touch of chile) and mocha madness (I think that's the name - lots of chocolatey stuff in mocha ice cream). Both were delicious.

Oh, why choose? Tosci's, Christina's and Herrell's are all great ice cream. My preference was usually for Tosci's. JP Licks and Emack & Bolios also good, though not as rich and tasty in my opinion as the top three. If you're willing to take a drive Bart's in Amherst and Northampton is great; Herrell's is out there also.

Sadly, living in New York now I am deprived; here in the city there isn't anything of that quality, or at least not that I've found yet. There were a couple of good places here in Brooklyn that have closed. Boo hooo hooo.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 4 years later...

Any changes, or do the quadrivirate of

Toscaninis

Herrell's

JP Licks &

Christina's still stand as the best in town?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 5 weeks later...

another vote for Christina's from me. Herrell's is also great.

To me, JP Lick's is a little less expensive and they give you more, but not quite as good (to me).

Tosci's closed for a while because the owners didn't pay taxes. After a "save tosci's" fundraising campaign, it reopened.

Gelateria on Hanover Street, with a couple of dozen flavors (haven't been for a while, I presume it's still there). Some of the nearby pastry shops sell a limited selection.

I would add Emack and Bolio's, which is a NYC import., But the ice cream is good anyway (!), and I esp. love their smoothies.

Don't forget the local chain, Friendly's. I don't think there is one in Boston proper, but they are scattered around the nearby 'burbs. As a kid, their black raspberry and maple walnut flavors were my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

Gelateria on Hanover Street, with a couple of dozen flavors (haven't been for a while, I presume it's still there). Some of the nearby pastry shops sell a limited selection.

I would add Emack and Bolio's, which is a NYC import., But the ice cream is good anyway (!), and I esp. love their smoothies.

Don't forget the local chain, Friendly's. I don't think there is one in Boston proper, but they are scattered around the nearby 'burbs. As a kid, their black raspberry and maple walnut flavors were my favorites.

Right after Fenway Park among things I miss about living in Boston is the ice cream. I was always a big Toscanini's fan. Mandarin Chocolate smothered in hot fudge. Sob.

One comment: Emack and Bolio's is most definitely native to Boston. Allegedly the unusual name came from two clients of one of the founders (a lawyer). NYC has enough stuff to claim, don't give it one of Boston's better ice cream parlors too!