• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland

I'll be spending a limited amount of time in Portland and am interested in finding out what the "must eat" places are.

I've searched citysearch and found some suggestions for dessert and prix fixe. I will be eating out mostly during lunchtime but I am looking to my dinners during that time and a very early dinnertime.

The Heathman is already on my list for dinner.

I've scratched Bewon (I'm not a fan of pure Asian cuisine although I'm very open to fusion -- my preference is French and Regional cuisine)

Zinc Bistrot is on my list as is Pix Patisserie.

What else should I see or eat?

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

First, here are some external links:

http://www.wweek.com/restguide2003/

http://www.wweek.com/flatfiles/SpecialSection3682.lasso

http://www.realgoodfood.com

http://www.chowhound.com/pacificnw/boards/.../pacificnw.html

Recognize that Portland has ecelectic tastes, which can be very good for the person with eclectic tastes themselves. Also recognize that Portland has a bohemian streak and is uncomfortable with restaurants that are chic, haute, or trendy.

I always give two suggestions, both different, but with an emphasis on NW foods:

Wildwood

Caprial's

I think they're more interesting than The Heathman and Paley's and much better quality overall than Higgins. More consistent than Bluehour.

Instead of giving you a list of restaurants, how about a list of dishes (by no means comprehensive) of things I crave (and this doesn't include the suburbs):

* Cafe Azul: Manchamanteles mole

* Bewon: Dae ji bul go gi

* Pho Van (Pearl): Banana blossom salad

* Buckman Bistro: Oeufs au meurette

* Andina: Their free rolls

* Mother's Bistro: White chocolate and banana bread pudding

* Pambiche: Ropa vieja

* Grand Central Bakery: Pinwheels

* Esparza's: BBQ pork nachos

* Staccato Gelato: Honey/Lavendar gelato

* Cha Ba Thai: Po pia sod

* Yam Yam's: Pork ribs

* Karam: Falafel

* La Iguana Feliz: Salsas on carne asada

* My Canh: Pork in claypot

* Tabla: Short ribs

* Pearl Bakery: Fig anise panini

* Bluehour: Potato gnocchi

* Chinese Delicacy: Korean meat balls

* La Bonita: Tamales

* Carafe: Lapin aux pruneaux

* Hurley's: Sweet pea flan

* Tibetan Kitchen: The bread

* El Palenque: Loroco pupusas

* Saucebox: Dessert spring rolls

I'm sure if some people spoke up you could get some really good other recs, too. eg, I rarely eat Italian, sushi, breakfast, burgers, Chinese, pho, burritos, or other types of food that lots of other eat regularly.

I love this town! I'm having too much fun down here and can't wait to come back - and often! :smile:

I had dinner last night (followed by lunch today) at Brasserie Montmartre.

I really enjoyed the dinner. I had the daily special which was Sturgeon prepared with a bacon mussel beurre blanc. Wonderful! I was so entertained by the magician performing all kinds of tricks tableside and who then magically relocated my signed playing card onto the ceilling permanently where it sits almong many of its kind. The music was nice but I'm usually not a fan of loud (especially jazz) music during dinner. The service was nicely paced -on the slow side, which I prefer.

I searched eGullet and didn't find any mention of the place which made me wonder: What do the locals think of this place?

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

• 4 weeks later...