• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Egg Custard Tarts (Dim Sum)

mudbug

There are so many recipes for the Chinese egg custard tarts they serve at dim sum, I confuse myself. I've made it a handful of times and only once, years ago, did it come out light and sweet with a perfectly smooth consistency and flaky crust. I have no idea which recipe it was at the time and I don't want to waste my time experiementing with something that isn't going to work. I've been disappointed too many times.

:sad:

Some recipes have evaporated milk, half and half, extra yolks, custard powder, white vinegar.... many of which I'm guessing were not traditionally used.

I'm leaning towards the following recipes (open to others as well):

Chinese Egg Custard Tarts I

Chinese Egg Custard Tarts II

Chinese Egg Custard Tarts III

Any pros/cons to any of the above? Which would you use?

:huh:

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if you are inquiring about the shell, the filling, or both, but "Chinese Snacks" in the Wei-Chuan series has a recipe for Egg Custard Tarts. (Just what you need, another recipe!)

Ingredients are:

1c. sugar

1-1/4 c. hot water

2 T. milk powder

1/4 t. salt

vanilla extract (amount not specified)

5 eggs

The eggs are first beaten, then the other ingredients are poured in and mixed well. The mixture is strained and poured into the shells, then baked in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

The recipe is for 20 tarts.

Let me know if you need Wei-Chuan's recipe for the shells.

I'd use a pastry recipe that had lard, for sure, it makes a really flaky, flavorful crust. I've never had them with butter in the crust, but maybe that's a more homestyle version. As for the filling, I guess it depends on what you like in a dan tat. I like them really eggy, so I'd go for the recipe that has a good amount of egg and egg yolk in it, and less dairy.

Do let us know which you end up making, I'd love to benifit from your experience.

regards,

trillium

Gary,

Thank you so much for your response with the egg custard, was referring to both the crust and filling.

Yes, I'd love the recipe for the crust as well. I don't have any of the Wei-Chuan books but I've read on the forum they're supposed to be some of the best, so I'd rather try a recipe from a universally respected source...

trillium,

I think I'd like to find a happy medium in regards to the filling since I'd like to serve this to several people at Christmas.

I would definitely use lard for the pastry - thats what gives it the flaky texture

For interest you might want to look up some portugese egg tart recipes for comparison; i gather chinese egg tarts are essentially nicked from this source (eg Macau - for many years a portugese colony)

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I would definitely use lard for the pastry - thats what gives it the flaky texture

For interest you might want to look up some portugese egg tart recipes for comparison; i gather chinese egg tarts are essentially nicked from this source (eg Macau - for many years a portugese colony)

cheerio

J

Jon is correct that Portugese Bakery items are incorperated into Chinese Culture.

The Egg Tarts served at Portugese Bakeries in Newark, NJ, Portugel . Cape Cod are made with more taste and finese then the Chinese versions ans I would recommend trying Portugese recipes.

The Portugese influence into Asia is not onlyfrom Macau, but extends thru the Philippines, Malaysia and thru out China.

The majority of Sweet or Savory Dum Sim items such as Steamed Breads, Nut Sponges, Curry Puffs and many Batterered or Coated Deep Fried treats are Portugese.

In Japan, "Pan" meaning bread, as well as "Tempura" are both attributed to the original bakers who jumped ship [black Ships] in Okinawa and Japan and introduced these items into the culture.

One interesting thought is that the popularity of Custard Tarts into the Hong Kong markets coincided with the utilization of adaptations of "Birds Custard Powder" manufactured in England [now a Kraft Company] is a Custard Powder that contains no Eggs. Ingrdients are Cornflour, Salt, Flavorings and Annatto for Color.

This is still what is most often used almost everywhere for the Custard Filling for the Tarts. Many upscale Chinese Restaurants and Bakeries are now making the Custard from whole eggs, so it tastes much better, but the mare reason for the switch is that a 1 pound container of the Birds Custard Powder not costs almost $5.00 and they realize that it less expensive to make the real Custard at a lower price with better ingredients.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Almost everyplace that the Catholic Church has had any influence. Especially Peking and Shanghai.

Those Monks and Priests had strong influences on the cusine where ever they traveled in Asia. This is important since the movement of spices through out this region even before the Black Ships was done by incorperating the skills of Navigators whom at that time were generally Portugese no matter what flags or overland traveling was done they had the ability to get you there.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 1 year later...
Very interesting, thank you all for your insight!

Mudbug, in case you missed the Dan Tart Cook-off, click here. :smile:

I've been meaning to get back to this topic.

Wesza! Where is your wisdom on the dan tart pastry??

With all your experience and connections, you must find out or know the secret!

My classes are finished next week and I'd like to try my hand on this pastry again.

My Chinese students will be my guinea pigs, as usual :biggrin:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com