• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buck's Fishing and Camping

JennyUptown

Buck's is an interesting, pleasant space that should do quite well in this location. The atmosphere is welcoming and warm, and the bar is a comfortable place to spend an evening. There's a canoe up in the rafters, if that hints at the motif, and there are no bottles on the wall behind the bar which makes it feel more homey, less like a business.

The staff seemed competent and cool. James, one of the co-owners, is quite intelligent, a fine conversationalist, and apparently business-savvy (so why did he approve the name!?), Jamie behind the bar is low-key while at the same time being friendly, attentive and welcoming, and Carole Greenwood herself, about whom many vignettes fly, came across at utterly affable and charming to me. The receptionist was also quite cordial.

The wine list is a brainchild of James, who is quite the oenophile, and it's esoteric, affordable, and a wine geek's dream considering it's relatively small size. There's no way a restaurant is going to feature wines such as this unless someone really knows what they're doing. But ultimately, I wonder if the list is more thoughtful than it is good (do I really want a Greek rosé as the only one on the list?) Still, it gets a solid B+ given its price-point, and given the knowledge of James, should quickly get even better.

The mussels in a rosemary broth are truly great, as good as mussels get, and I think I went through about two baskets of bread (very good bread) sopping up the broth. I can't imagine liking mussels much more than this. Obligatoire. It's a mistake to go and not get these.

Grilled quail with venison sausage needs to be rethought. The quail didn't sing, and it was served with a pear chutney which was overwhelming, the whole thing being in a teriyaki-like sauce. The two pieces of venison sausage in the dish were terrific, but lost in the saucing. By the way, the menu reads "Grilled quail and venison sausage," and I was expecting grilled sausage made of quail-and-venison.

The steak is a price anomaly at $29.50 (I don't think any other entrée goes higher than the mid-teens). And it's worth it, too, dry-aged and prime. Meat-wise, it's as good as it gets. As good as Charlie Palmer. Where does she get this stuff? This was a remarkable steak. It comes with excellent sweet-potato fries that you might think are in need of sea-salt, but one bite of the steak will change your mind: the coating/saucing is seeringly salty, and unfortunately I think it detracts from the otherwise mind-bendingly good steak. Let me repeat: this is a world-class steak, but given the aggressive seasoning, the sweet-potato fries are rendered as impotent as taro chips. A bit of tweaking with the peripherals, and you have the best steak dish in the city.

Jamie admirably kept his composure when I ordered the chocolate icebox cake ... and asked for a glass of milk. I haven't ordered a glass of milk in twenty years, but it just seemed so right at the moment (they didn't have any). What I was hoping for was something cakey, but what came instead was more of a ganache, and I don't think that seems appropriate for this restaurant. It was good, perfectly honest and well-executed, but probably not worth the calories for me.

So in my mind, there were dazzling highs (steak, mussels, service, atmosphere, esoteric wine), troublesome lows (quail, sauces) and not much in the middle (the icebox cake).

In summary, Buck's is a wonderful and formidable addition to the DC dining scene, and does certain things as well as anyone. I'm happily going back there soon.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Could you tell me where this place is?

Conn. Ave between Fesseden and Nebraska Ave. It's in between Politics and Prose and the original Marvelous Market.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I have heard enough bad things (whether they are justifed or not) that this isn't a place I am rushing to, just as I didn't rush to Greenwood.

Not that I am someone looking to make a lot of substitutions, but a pleasant atmosphere is what I am looking for and that is not a reputation that the Greenwood people have.

If I could be convinced otherwise, I could change my feelings though.

Bill Russell

I just ate at Yuck's last night and I was amazed at how every dish that we tasted was borderline bad!

The sausage was dry and bland. The bbq duck was tender however drenched in a vinaigrette reduction that was not fully reduced. The menu is limited and difficult to read. The ambience was nice, it seems as Yuck's has good ideas that unfortunately all miss the mark. The waiter described the ice box cake as "light, not too sweet" it was dark, heavy, decadent, a step away from fudge.....which was nice...just the wrong description from our knowledgeless waiter. Though the owners were welcoming and courteous, maybe they should have been spending their time in the kitchen as opposed to the bar!

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ate at Yuck's last night and I was amazed at how every dish that we tasted was borderline bad!

The sausage was dry and bland. The bbq duck was tender however drenched in a vinaigrette reduction that was not fully reduced. The menu is limited and difficult to read. The ambience was nice, it seems as Yuck's has good ideas that unfortunately all miss the mark. The waiter described the ice box cake as "light, not too sweet" it was dark, heavy, decadent, a step away from fudge.....which was nice...just the wrong description from our knowledgeless waiter. Though the owners were welcoming and courteous, maybe they should have been spending their time in the kitchen as opposed to the bar!

"Yuck's" - TFF !!

Mark

Low blow, Rocks. We'll see you tonight. Expect surprises.

Hmm ... they say there are two people in this world you don't want to anger: the person working on your car, and the person fixing your food.

I'm strongly reconsidering coming tonight.

I can see myself sitting down at the table. Chef Hartzer comes strolling up, and smacks me on my back so hard that my teeth rattle.

"Donnie Rrrrrocks! Welcome back to Shitronelle, my friend. I heard you've been posting on eGullet," he says, grinning like a satanic pirate.

"Hi Michael."

"I'm going to send a course out to you, compliments of the house. It's an oyster shooter. Ever had it?"

"Umm ... yes, once ... a long time ago ..."

"I'm going to make it myself ... just for you. I need to head back to the kitchen now, but I'll send it right out." As he starts to walk away, he turns and looks back with a strange red gleam in his eye. "Oh by the way ... are you sure you didn't mean ... Spitronelle? Enjoy your meal, Rocks."

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Low blow, Rocks. We'll see you tonight. Expect surprises.

Hmm ... they say there are two people in this world you don't want to anger: the person working on your car, and the person fixing your food.

I'm strongly reconsidering coming tonight.

I can see myself sitting down at the table. Chef Hartzer comes strolling up, and smacks me on my back so hard that my teeth rattle.

"Donnie Rrrrrocks! Welcome back to Shitronelle, my friend. I heard you've been posting on eGullet," he says, grinning like a satanic pirate.

"Hi Michael."

"I'm going to send a course out to you, compliments of the house. It's an oyster shooter. Ever had it?"

"Umm ... yes, once ... a long time ago ..."

"I'm going to make it myself ... just for you. I need to head back to the kitchen now, but I'll send it right out." As he starts to walk away, he turns and looks back with a strange red gleam in his eye. "Oh by the way ... are you sure you didn't mean ... Spitronelle? Enjoy your meal, Rocks."

Yeah, you get the picture :raz:

Mark

That exchange is so life-like, down to the satanic pirate description of Mikey.

Rocks, I'd lay low. We are always looking for material at the office, this could be just the ticket.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

If I go down, I go down swinging, and everyone's going with me:

Yuck's

Shitronelle

Mice-tro

Gali-layoff

Stinkead's

Pa-Lame-a

Farce sells

Cashion's Rat House

DC Coasting

Trite-inya

Blecchquinox

Gerard's Empty Place

Ill at Little Washington

PigPenh

2941 Reasons to stay home

Drecktar

Yawnyu

Tired Fry

Grime Rib

Cafe Mylantico

Toss-ca

New Depths

Barf All Day-o

Teatro Golddigger

IgNora

David's Piggery

The Napalm

Colvin: Run from this Tavern

Chef seeks new Poste

Gnarleston

Sushi-Blo

Blowbelisk

Blowla

Ben's Insect Bowl

Minibarf

Pizzeria Parody

Praying (you don't get sick at) Mantis

Succhus

C. F. Sucks

Snore-duroy

Taberna del Alabarfdero

Eat Worst

Harry's Crap Room

2 Amiss

Dirty Dish

Mie N Yu are about to have a really, really bad meal

Addis A-Blah-ba

Al Terrible-misu

Blewna

A.V. Ristorante and Pest Control

Leastro Bis

Bistro j'Oc

Beast-Roe Francais

Crud-line

My Failure

Cafe Swill-ano

Strepto-Caucus Room

Wish this Kitchen was in Colorado

Crisp & Greasy

Cuban Coroner

Four & Twenty Crackheads

Four Sisters related to a food critic

Johnny's Half Shell; the rat carried away the other half

Kaz Blewshi Bistro

Sushi Terrible-o

La Fourshitte

Le Mannequin Pis; le restaurant aussi

Crotchbox

Fleaism

Melrose, then sank

Meiwah: Chinese for larva

Puke Quail

Natty Thai

Mess-scare-em

The Awful Room

Crocku

Raze The Steaks

Under 17, Over 89, no one else will like it

And finally:

Bistro du Coin, aka "The Office."

Edited by DonRocks (log)

If I go down, I go down swinging, and everyone's going with me:

Sucks Bitching and Cramping

Gali-layoff

Kink Head's

Pa-Lame-a

Arse Sells

Cashion's Rat House

DC Coasting

Trite-inya

Blecchquinox

Gerard's Empty Place

Out at Little Washington

PigPenh

2941 Reasons to stay home

Dreckter

Yawnyu

Tired Fry

Grime Rib

Cafe Mylantico

Toss-ca

New Depths

"Blecchquinox"

That's not right.

If anything, Equinox is "Eat my nuts"....

Don't forget.....

La boring toro

Boogeymonsters

McCormick & S**ts

Zit's not tiny ahhh

Edited for spelling

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe