• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Dona Tere - tamales

fifi

I got really excited about Robb Walsh's review of Dona Tere, partly because I am often in that part of town. He also reminded me about tamale stuffed turkey for Thanksgiving. We did that one time. It was really good. (For turkey, that is. :biggrin: ) You put some in the cavity and some more on the bottom of the pan to soak up the drippings.

Anyway... If Robb thinks they are good I am going to go there.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just got back from west Houston with a haul of Dona Tere tamales in the back seat. I was able to get a dozen of the pork, the last 5 chicken, and 4 Oaxaquenos (Those are $2 apiece.) Alas, they were out of the dipping sauces. Remember I said "in the back seat"? BIG MISTAKE.

I stopped at the big Fiesta grocery on Bellaire at Hwy 6 to pick up some decent green beans since the green beans in my local stores are horrible. I load my groceries in the back seat next to the tamales. I do not move the tamales to the front seat. BIGGER MISTAKE!

Now for the 50 mile trek home. Well, it has been a long time since that small breakfast about 10:00 and I am getting pretty hungry. After about 5 miles, the aroma of the tamales starts escaping from the plastic bags and permeates the interior of my car. By the time I hit the freeway it is getting critical. Open window. Smoke cigarette. Open back windows. A bit too breezy. I can't get to the tamales and I am not sure how I would drive while eating a tamale anyway.

One more stop at Spec's to pick up some wine. I open the back door to load that in and the collected aroma that has built up in the closed car hit me in the face. THAT"S IT! I HAVE HAD IT! I am sitting on the floorboard of the car with the door open in the parking lot outside of Spec's eating a pork tamale. Now, how pathetic is THAT? Arriving home, I didn't unload the car but headed straight in and devoured one of the chicken tamales. Two of those honkers and I am not likely to be hungry again for a while.

So, how was it, you say? I can't improve much on what Robb Walsh has said so I won't repeat that here. I will say that it was probably the best tamale I have had since my last trip to Mexico City. On the final leg home I noticed a lingering "niceness" in my mouth. I know that is a stupid word to use about tamale afterglow but it is the best one I can think of. There is the corn, of course, and a very little chile warmth. But, hey, is that cinnamon? Maybe. The mole sauce on the chicken provides an even more complex experience. I am saving Oaxaqueno for breakfast.

So, if you are in Houston, head west all ye young men and women and get some of those tamales. But I suggest that you get there early to ensure that they don't run out of sauce. I won't let that happen again. Robb, ole bud, you know how to call 'em.

I do want to add a little clarification on the directions. Dona Tere is on Bellaire Blvd. at the end of the Kroger shopping center at Bellaire and Synott.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just one suggestion... GO! :biggrin:

edit to add: I had one of the Oaxaquenos for breakfast. (I have no idea if I am spelling that right.) Oddly, it was good but unremarkable. Stick to the others.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Well heck, I'm gonna have to go check this place out! It's only about 5 minutes away from where I live. Certainly do wish I had seen this earlier -- would have liked a good tamale or two for dinner. Thanks for the report, fifi.

• 1 year later...

I have found tamale nirvana at Dona Tere Tamales. There are two locations for this little spot one at 8331 Beechnut and the other way out on Bellaire. Dona Tere's tamales are big, plump, tender tamales with an intoxicating corn aroma and filled with big chunks of your preferred filling. I chose the pork and green chile and the chicken mole. While both were very good I think I prefer the pork tamlale. you can get a 12 oz side of mole for $4.50 or verde salsa for $2 or so. Since I am so cheap I picked up 1/2 dozen of the chicken, 1/2 dozen of the pork and 12oz of the verde salsa. I just couldn't bring myself to paying that much for the mole after already spending a small fortune for my dinner party.

Here is a link to Robb Walsh's review of this place about a year ago:

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2003-11...ml/1/index.html

Those tamales are terrific. My fave are the sweet ones with cinnamon & raisins. They also make a gigantic "Oaxaca" style (not sure what that means) for $2.50/each, but they're always out of those whenever I've visited.

I am merging the current topic with the one from last year.

The tamales were the star of the show for our pre-holiday celebration since we were all traveling to the four winds. Now that I have gotten my chops on the mole sauce I have to say . . . get it!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I knew there was already atopic started. Thanks for merging I was to lazy to find it. :raz: I tried the oaxacan yesterday and have to agree that I would stick with the tamales. On the board it says it can't translate what a oaxacan is but I can, it merely a big tamale filled with chicken cooked in some spice. Its not that its bad its just the tamales are so good.

I forgot to add . . . We did get into a discussion about the masa. I think there is some cinnamon in it. Others say that it is the seasoning in the filling permeating the masa. I, of course, think I am right. :raz: I could eat just the masa quite happily, thank you.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 2 months later...

I have a confession to make. I was in west Houston on that nasty rainy day this past week and I made a tamale run. I then proceeded to make the same stupid mistake. Except it was raining too hard to open the windows. I never realized how long it takes to drive the South Belt. :blink:

Some of us are slow learners. Also, I have now decided that the chicken and pork are at the top of my list for this place.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Well, DeVeaux, the economy is doing well here. You could always come back. In the interview, when they ask, "And why are you moving back?" you could always answer, "Because Dona Tere doesn't do mail order." :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Nice idea, fifi, but since I work for the State here, I know we don't have a branch in Houston I could transfer to. I will put it on my list to eat at when we get back down there for a visit.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

I just picked up 4 dozen tamales from here yesterday for a Broker open house (trying to sell my townhome) and thankfully I had a bunch left over! I can't thank the people at Dona Tere enough for putting a location on the SW side of town. These bad boys are simply awesome.

jscarbor . . .

Take some of those leftovers, cut into about 1 inch pieces and stuff a nice fat roasting chicken. Put more pieces in the bottom of the baking pan to absorb the juices. Season as you pleas and roast using your favorite method. That is truly a noble end for leftover tamales. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

You eat them, silly. :laugh: Hopefully with chicken fat and juices running down your chin. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"