• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

Since the potluck we held in July was such a resounding success, I thought we might do another one. But this time, the theme will be PIE. Since this is one of those "eGullet-isms" that we regularly toss around on the boards, it only seems fitting that there be an event that celebrates the use of it.

Because the holiday season is fast approaching, we're thinking of holding the event in either early December or sometime around the second or third weekend in January -- either December 6 or January 17. At this time, we have a place in mind which can hold about twenty to twenty-five people comfortably, although we are open to suggestions regarding alternate hosting sites (for example, if lower Manhattan is not convenient for some people). :biggrin:

Pies (both savory and sweet) are welcome, as are quiches, pasteles/tamales/empanadas, knishes, breads, pasties, pierogies, dumplings, spreads, cheeses, sausages and cake. :wink: If anyone can make a case for why their offering should be considered pie, that's fine. :biggrin::blink:

Please feel free to reply to this thread so we can gauge interest level. Please PM Suzanne F or myself if you'd like to reserve a spot.

Soba

Don't you tell me I have no life outside of eGullet. I'm going to church soon. I'll see my church friends and have brunch with them. Which, for me, consists of a cup of tea. So there. (Tell ME, I have no life... pfft).

Sounds cool, but as the holidays are coming up, when would one like to do this?

edit: duh, didnt read the full first post

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm thinking this sounds like a good brunch event for New Years Day.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Pies (both savory and sweet) are welcome, as are quiches, pasteles/tamales/empanadas, knishes, breads, pasties, pierogies, dumplings, spreads, cheeses, sausages and cake.  :wink:  If anyone can make a case for why their offering should be considered pie, that's fine.  :biggrin:  :blink:

Are tarts allowed?

Now that we've changed the clock, shabbat will be ending early. Depending on the time the potluck is called for, I would love to attend.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Someone needs to do a Chocolate Chicken Pot Pie in honor of South Park.

I'm thinking mole poblano for that one.

I think any of the above would be fabulous. (Including a burger pie. Sort of like shepherd's pie I guess. :biggrin: )

Rachel, I'm a spanikopita addict. I would've made my screen name SpanikopitaAddict70 but Soba has a better ring to it. :blink: Seriously, I really really really dig Greek spinach phyllo pies, so you've got my vote on that one.

Soba

Actually, I like the idea of New Year's Day. Not before noon, though, or maybe even 1pm. :wacko: Although that conflicts with New Year's Eve in Chicago, if anyone is thinking of going. Then again, if we CAN'T go to Chi-town, this would be good consolation (I hope).

Do tarts count? Bloviatrix, I thought you were a nice Jewish girl. What, is Jaymes coming to NYC? :laugh: (I wish she would. :sad: )

Are tarts allowed?

That's what I was wondering, from way out here in the West where I am totally envious of you New York egulleteers and your numerous fetes (hint hint all you southern californians! come join us for espresso/gelato/panini tasting in Long Beach next Sunday! :biggrin: ).

Back to the topic: Will you be including, say, Tarte Tatin at your pie potluck or is that a whole other ball of wax?

kettle of fish?

can of worms?

bushel of apples?

pot o' beans?

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Do tarts count?  Bloviatrix, I thought you were a nice Jewish girl.

Nice jewish girl? Nah, that's just an act. :laugh:

I would be glad to trade my usual New Year's Day movie marathon for a Pie Potluck.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

We still have some time left before we need to firm up the date.

New Year's Day might be good for some people, not for others.

January 17th might be a better date for two reasons:

a) it's the day following MLK B'day (meaning that people will be off for at least a three day weekend), and

b) it's after the holiday period, so people might be more available.

I'm fine with it either way, really.

Soba

Why not do it on Super Bowl Sunday? Isn't that when you had your bread potluck last year? Nobody cares about the Super Bowl!!! :unsure:

Gee, do I need a life? I'm keeping track of the NY egullet party schedule from Long Beach, CA!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl