• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This REALLY works

fifi

Toliver said I needed to start this thread so that we would have a place to share tips on things that really work.

And... I always do what Toliver says. :wub:

I have found this stuff called Dawn Power Dissolver. It really does get the browned on gunk off of pans, smoker grills and whatever is gunked up. You can even spray the offending culprit and put it directly into the dishwasher.

I have also taken to using the really big, 2 gallon size, Ziploc bags for putting the dry rub on brisket or other meat to get it ready for the smoker. You can just dump the rub into the bag with the piece of meat, toss it around to get it evenly distributed, then massage it in from outside the bag. All of the rub sticks to the meat, not the bag, and you don't get your hands all yucky. If you are going to refrigerate it overnight, it is already in a bag to do so.

Any other good tips out there?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Copper pots/lids can be cleaned easily by soaking them in vinegar.

You can make the burning feeling from hot peppers on your hands go away by dipping your fingers in lemon juice.

Use the garden hose to fill the water pan in your webber bullet.

Bamix makes the best stick blender on the planet.

Roast your own coffee, any idiot can roast coffee.

Toliver said I needed to start this thread so that we would have a place to share tips on things that really work.

And... I always do what Toliver says. :wub:

I have found this stuff called Dawn Power Dissolver. It really does get the browned on gunk off of pans, smoker grills and whatever is gunked up. You can even spray the offending culprit and put it directly into the dishwasher.

Awww...fifi. :wub:

Right back atcha!

I totally concur on the Power Dissolver. It works great. I could have used this stuff 25 years ago when working as a dish washer in college and the cooks burned stuff in their pans and didn't care because they weren't the ones doing the dishes. :angry:

I have also taken to using the really big, 2 gallon size, Ziploc bags for putting the dry rub on brisket or other meat to get it ready for the smoker. You can just dump the rub into the bag with the piece of meat, toss it around to get it evenly distributed, then massage it in from outside the bag. All of the rub sticks to the meat, not the bag, and you don't get your hands all yucky. If you are going to refrigerate it overnight, it is already in a bag to do so.

Again, great idea. I have a Tupperware marinader that I almost never use anymore now that I use Ziplocs (or the brand of your choice).

I would like to also recommend to those who marinade large quantities this way to get the new jumbo sized resealable bags which I believe are 2 gallons. Will look at the brand when I get home and edit this post.

I'd also like to recommend Glad Press 'n Seal plastic wrap. Click on the link and when at the site, move your cursor from the 1 to the 2 to the 3 and leave it there. I did the same experiment at home and it worked great. No more having to stretch the plastic wrap around the container. No more trying to untangle the plastic wrap you just tore off before you can use it. Just press it along the rim of the container and you're done.

For those who use normal plastic wrap and hate having to untangle the sheet that you just tore off before wrapping your leftovers, try this: Don't tear it off. Pull out the length you need and leave it attached to the roll. Then place the wrap over the item to be wrapped (or lay the wrap down on the kitchen counter and place the item on top of the wrap) and then tear it off the roll. No more tangles. Should work like a charm.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Safer Pantry Traps REALLY attract those little brown Indian Meal moths. I use 4-6 at a time in a room-sized walk-in pantry; each one of these traps catches about 20 or 30 moths. They avoid my food completely, and instead are lured to the traps. They're not cheap, but I'm not throwing away food anymore, so I figure I'm still saving money.

Those things are great. They kept the nasty buggers under control in my pantry in my previous house.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Mrs. Dash + most anything in need of salt = yum.

*ducks from incoming*

Soba

No need to duck, Soba. I often buy dip mixes, seasonings, etc. and run them through the coffee grinder and then use them on plain scrambled eggs, baked or mashed potatoes, etc.

And I like Mrs. Dash too!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Regarding my earlier comment about the new, larger sized "zip" bags for marinating, I thought I would post the info instead of editing the original post.

The new bags are made by Hefty. They are One Zip 2.5 gallon size "Jumbo" bags with 14 in a box.

They are 14 & 3/8 inches by 16 inches. I bought them at Target.

They are big suckers! You could probably fit a large brisket or pork shouder comfortably in the bag with enough room left over to add a pair of shoes. :laugh:

I tried finding an online link but apparently Hefty doesn't have a website (in this day & age?). :blink:

edited to add bag dimension

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Thanks Toliver. I checked and those are the exact ones I used. (I just usually buy Ziploc.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I have been using the 2 gal Zip Lock bags for corning my brisket. Just be sure that it is contained in another pan because eventually the seal leaks a little. As already stated useful for marinating or dry rub for a lot of things. You can prepare your own lox very easily using liquid smoke along with salt and brown suger. Not as great as 'Russ & Daughters' but acceptable in a pinch.

'Stainless Steel Magic' for cleaning and polishing those stainless panels on your major appliances.

-Dick

Melkor-

Re: Bamix blender, does it have a steel or plastic rotor?  I need plastic since most of my cookware is Le Cruset and I don't want to scratch up the enamel.

Steel but the way its designed the rotor never touches the pot, the metal prongs that make up the base of the bamix might be a concern. Williams Sonoma sells the bamix under their name, without the grinder attachment - they have a picture on their website here.

Those new Mr. Clean eraser things really work.

I just received a free sample of it in the mail. I haven't had the chance to read the instructions yet. Should I assume that after "erasing" that you still need to wipe down/rinse the area that got "erased"?

Tim Oliver

I put a matchstick between my teeth when chopping onions... something about the sulfur I guess counteracts the tearing. Or maybe it's just placebo effect but it seems to work.

I too like the press and seal plastic wrap. Keeps things from spilling in fridge crashes and when travelling.

AND I have a newly bought Cherry/Olive pitter. Definitely one of those gadgety things but wow it's cool. Love it. Can't wait to stuff a few olives with blue cheese for our next martinis.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I just received a free sample of it in the mail. I haven't had the chance to read the instructions yet. Should I assume that after "erasing" that you still need to wipe down/rinse the area that got "erased"?

Um, I dunno. I didn't. They're kind of weird. They keep compressing until there's nothing left and you throw it away and get a new one. They seemed to absorb whatever I "erased" with them so I didn't bother with rinsing. :blink:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Um, I dunno. I didn't. They're kind of weird. They keep compressing until there's nothing left and you throw it away and get a new one. They seemed to absorb whatever I "erased" with them so I didn't bother with rinsing. :blink:

Wow...guess I will have to put it to work and see this for myself. Thanks for the info.

AND I have a newly bought Cherry/Olive pitter.  Definitely one of those gadgety things but wow it's cool.  Love it.  Can't wait to stuff a few olives with blue cheese for our next martinis.

I just bought one, too! It rocks. It was getting to be a pain to do the knife-smashing-olive trick which leaves you with olive pieces and not whole olives.

Tim Oliver

Well, I am back and catching up...

I just remembered another thing that really works.

Here in Houston we can get these green plastic bags called Evertfresh. They have a catalyst in the plastic that absorbs ethylene gas (the stuff that accelerates ripening, and rotting at the same time). You can put washed lettuce in there and it will keep for a couple of weeks.

I also get these green discs at Bed, Bath & Beyond that have the same stuff. You put them in the veggie drawer in the fridge. Things keep a LOT longer.

These things save me a lot of money.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"