• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pearson's Texas Barbecue

jogoode

Has anyone tried Pearson's in its new space? I'm sure it will get lot of: "It's good but not as good as its previous location, which was not as good as the original location." So will Keller's Per Se. But I'm surprised that I haven't heard anyone's account, especially since it's now more accessible to Fat Guy.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I think we may be experiencing citywide barbecue overload. I have plans to go next week with my neighbor, so I'll report on it then if nobody else does first.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Sometimes accessability breeds complacency. I've made the trip to Legends sports bar many times (last time a month ago), as well as the trip to his previous incarnation in Stratford on virtually every visit to New Haven, Providence and Boston (often on both the way up and the way down).

But tonight I was nearby and thought I'd try it (they were not yet open the last time I walked past). When I realized I'd have to order and then wait on the street (there being no proper take-out counter) I just did not have the patience to wait and picked up some (not as good) prepared food at Eli's instead (as well as some pretty good late white corn).

OKay, since you asked. I went a few weeks ago, the first night it began serving. Since it was beginning a test run, I didn't feel right posting as maybe it would shortly improve. My wife and I were not impressed, however. The brisket was dry and tough, although the pork shoulder was tender and flavorful. The onion rings were nearly nothing but batter and the French fries ordinary. We are not barbeque mavens, however as we have never been to any of the landmarks down South. We did go several times to the "Stick to Your Ribs" in Long Island City and remember the food being a lot better. The highlight of the evening occurred when co-owner Ken Aretsky introduced himself while we are eating and begged for an honest assessment of our meal. My wife, after asking him if he really wanted to know, told him that her brisket was dry and tough. In the end, he didn't really want to hear it; but when he claimed he did want to hear it "because my wife says it's always good", I said, "the food, you mean?" He didn't relate to that one, either.

Really did not enjoy the overall experience.

The meat (I ordered them all) was well cooked (Except Brisket - Dry, Dry, Dry).

The food profile was flavorless and pulled the salt from my mouth.

I felt that the sauce (served on the side) was flat and lacked any depth.

I did like the interior of the restaurant and the service was ok.

Was expecting more.

I remember the hot sauce at Pearson's place in Long Island City as being just that. The one at the new place was not, although my understanding from Marcus is that people generally eschew hot sauce at the good places. I agree with bbq on his evaluation of the sauce.

I decided, as soon as I heard it was opening, to wait for a while before going, thinking it would take a while for the place to get its meat together....but it has been a while....Does anyone expect the meat to get better as the owner reassesses? And how long will this take?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Had an acceptable dinner there tonight. The pulled pork was quite good -- juicy, smoky, well-seasoned. The brisket was dry -- really dry. The pork ribs were pretty nicely smoked (they could have used more), tender/juicy, and wildly underseasoned. Hot links were innocuous. Good coleslaw -- very nice, with caraway. Also good baked beans (underseasoned). Mediocre potato salad, also underseasoned like so many other items. Moist cornbread without much flavor (underseasoned). Desserts were awful, but not underseasoned.

Lots of potential; probably not worth going for another month or two, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My feeling exactly Fat Guy. I was really looking forward to Pearson's, based on what people had experienced at the other location. I was under the impression that he had the flavor profile down and this was his effort for expansion, not trial and error. Can anyone who has eaten at the other pearson's attest that product different (Better) or were we that easy to please. Is this just the case of a chef selling his name to another restaurantaur?

I ate at the original Pearson's and recently went to the one in Queens that some people say he sold his name to and found the meats to be utterly forgetable. No seasoning from salt, pepper, spices or smoke. They could have been roasted, unseasoned in a home oven. The texture of the brisket was an affront to all that BBQ stands for. Tough, stringy, dry...I am amazed at how desperate some NYers are for BBQ that they will settle for the lousy fare that's available here. At least Blue Smoke seems to be on the right track, to my taste at least.

• 2 months later...

In today's New York Times, Asimov reviewed Pearson's Texas Barbecue in the "$25 and Under" (link here; scroll down as necessary). I think I could fairly sum up his verdict of the place in one word: "inconsistent." Seems like all of you had the same reaction. He does say that "Pearson's is slowly but perceptibly improving," but I was left with the impression that we might want to wait quite some time for them to get into the groove, if they ever do. Do you react the same way I did to the review, and has anyone been there since October, so that we could have your views on whether you enjoyed your meal or/and noticed improvement?

Michael aka "Pan"

Here's the thing at Pearsons and all other urban bbqs. The customers don't know any better, and so complain if they get juicy brisket. So you have to order "second cut" or at least "juicy" to get it right. Then it's masterful, esp. on the portugese rolls Pearson uses. The ribs are pretty good, if a little underseasoned. Pearson is a true purist. The beef ribs are very good, but may overwhelm some people.

Josh

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

• 1 month later...

I was out at Pearson's on the East Side this week and was somewhat disappointed. I didn't think it stacked up well against Blue Smoke (which I expected), or even Virgils (which I didn't)...

As reported by others, almost everything was bland underseasoned, and the ribs were not particularly smoky-- the extra time hasn't changed things. The Pork ribs were a little tough as well. The Beef Ribs were very meaty, almost perfectly cooked but again underflavored. The Carolina-style pork was oddly pretty bland too-- the sauce was mild, and the brisket was dry (not at all like my mom's, though we forgot to ask for second-cut). The sauces on the table (medium and hot) weren't anything special and not much help.

The two dishes that I thought were exceptional, though, were the BBQ beef, damp but just short of dripping with a tangy sauce (that didn't seem to be the same one as on the table), and for dessert, the Peach Cobbler served piping hot with ice cream!

Edited by danger_doug (log)

• 1 year later...

Met a friend for dinner tonight at Pearsons.. It was a beauiful night and with my car parked in front of a hydrant directly across the street, we were happy that three of the four picnic tables outside were available. We also surprised to see how empty the joint was.. There might have been 6 tables eating in the whole restaurant.

The service was pretty bad there.. I think we had a new waitress, but she was really terrible.. She was young and this might have been here fist day of work anywhere.. I liked to hear my waiters opinions on things.. She had no opinion on anything.. Infact, she couldnt descibe anything on the menu.. Not to mention not getting us drinks and then the wrong ones, forgetting silverware, never bringing salt, or seperate plates, or pouring a different beer into a glass of beer, yatta yatta yatta..

We ordered a small beef ribs, a brisket and nc style pulled pork combo, onion rings and mac n cheese.

Here is the star of the meal.. The beef ribs were cooked perfectly.. These meaty ribs ran with hot juice when you bit into them.. A little smokey, but it didnt need to be any more. Great with there bbq sauce which I really enjoyed..

gallery_15057_1393_825046.jpg

The NC style pork and brisket were pretty good.. The pork had a nice amount of smokey pieces of skin mixed in, but it lacked the sweetness I am use to and the vinegar sauce was weak.. I ended up adding some of there thin red vinegar sauce they provide on the table.. That too was missing something..

The brisket was good.. The meat was a little dry, it didnt have that crunchy fat layer I like, and it didnt deliver a big smokey taste.. Also it came to the table cold.. It was certainly good, but not great.. .Coleslaw was a stand out also.. Definately would be a great addition to a sandwich there..

gallery_15057_1393_141951.jpg

The onion rings were rather poor, almost terrible.. They were over fried and was soaked with grease.. I am a man who loves his grease, but this was just bad.. I can honestly say this was one of the only times in my life i didnt enjoy a plate of onion rings.

gallery_15057_1393_803602.jpg

Mac and Cheese was ok.. It was really dry, the cheese on top was burnt into individual crusty strands.. It got a lot better when i added the bbq sauce..

gallery_15057_1393_297870.jpg

All in all i would say this place is goodish.. The beef ribs werevery good.. I wouldnt go here again unless i was in walking distance, or at a friends house playing cards and with in their delivery zone..

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 2 months later...