• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastries & Bakeries in the Chicago area

My wife is going to Red Hen bakery today. I can hardly wait for dinner.

Here's a review

I think Sam's wines sells Red Hen bread in their market?

1623 N. MIlwaukee Ave.

Chicago, IL 60647

773-342-6823

My daughter used to live around the corner from Red Hen...nice little luxury to grab a loaf or two when we visited. It's been a couple of years, but I remember outstanding product and very nice people.

Aurora: Thanks for the tip about Breadsmith.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Roadfood.com-what a cool site to use with Metromix! Thanks. I think that great bread is hard to find in Chicago. The best rye bread is at Kaufmans Bakery/Deli on Dempster (next to the Swift) in Skokie. They bake it fresh daily and it contains no preservatives so it does spoil quickly. But for under$ 1.80 for a one pound loaf of bliss it is worth it. They have other baked goods that look yummy (rugulah, bagels and coffee cakes) but we go just for the bread (and the best corned beef ).

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

The baguette from Red Hen lived up to the expectations. The inside was light and a bit sour, with a good chewy crust. My 10 month old son loves baguttes for some reason. I showed it to him and then went in the kitchen to cut it up. He started crying because he wanted the whole loaf.

I agree with Kaufmans (I just drove by there and they had a sign which proclaimed themselves to be the Macaroon capital of the world :unsure: ), but if I'm in the mood for rye bread I usually get a loaf of pumpernickel from the Baltic Bakery. Val's also makes good Eastern European breads.

The remains from my Red Hen baguette are now hard as a rock. Bread Crumb time. I hope yours is OK. Can we call you Tommy2 since you're playing Thomas Keller tonight?

Happy Anniversary! How many years?

The baguette from Red Hen lived up to the expectations. The inside was light and a bit sour, with a good chewy crust. My 10 month old son loves baguttes for some reason. I showed it to him and then went in the kitchen to cut it up. He started crying because he wanted the whole loaf.

I agree with Kaufmans (I just drove by there and they had a sign which proclaimed themselves to be the Macaroon capital of the world :unsure: ), but if I'm in the mood for rye bread I usually get a loaf of pumpernickel from the Baltic Bakery. Val's also makes good Eastern European breads.

Do you mind providing the vitals on these places? I'm caught up in a fit of laziness. I don't want to look it up myself.

I suspect your 10-month-old is into the bread due to itchy gums (teething).

Kaufmans Bagel & Delicatessen

847-677-9880

4905 Dempster St

Skokie IL

It's on the south side of street just east of the Skokie Swift El stop. They also have a great deli.

Baltic Bakery and Val's I buy from the local store (Roger's Park Fruit Market, Clark & Rogers)

Edited by guajolote (log)

Kaufmans Bagel & Delicatessen

847-677-9880

4905 Dempster St

Skokie IL

It's on the south side of street just east of the Skokie Swift El stop. They also have a great deli.

Baltic Bakery and Val's I buy from the local store (Roger's Park Fruit Market, Clark & Rogers)

Much thanks,

Kaufman's is now in the Rolodex.

• 1 month later...

It can't live up to the Red Hen (not much can), but the "Artisan Breads" at Dominick's are really surprisingly good. I particularly like the Asiago Bread they sell. But get there early on a Saturday cuz these loaves sell like...er...hot cakes.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I bought a baguette (along with 2 cookies that cost $5 each!) from Bittersweet on Belmont last week when I was buying chocolate truffles for Mother's Day. It was very good, but not as good as Red Hen.

The Dominick's Artisan loaves are good, but I think the quality has gone done since Safeway came in, much like everything else at Dominick's.

My local, the Medici Bakery (on E. 57th in Hyde Park) has really fine buttery baguette. They also make ciabattas, that are wonderfully airy--a nice salty, crust with a hint of olive oil. If you are lucky, you can get their Olive Ciabatta. Heaven.

Don't even think of eating at its owner-restaurant.

Bennison's Bakery in Evanston also makes a great, airy, ciabatta. They have a stand at the Evanston Farmer's market. The lady sees me coming and gets my ciabatta and two chocolate croissants (for wife and daughter) ready.

If you ever get the chance, check out Breadsmith Inc. on N. Wells.

Another one of my favorite neighborhood shops. They also do a great frosted sugar cookie. They're the size of a saucer, and everyone walking down Wells Street seems to be eating one.They've recently started offering fruit tarts, which look very tempting. I usually stick to the multi-grain and the French peasant loaf as our daily breads. The asiago chese bread is exceptional. And the fat free cinnamon rolls are sinful. They offer free sample slices all afternoon, and they have a frequent buyer program. I have about a 4 or 5 block walk to Breadsmith, which justifies my buying a cookie for the walk home.

• 3 months later...

The pastries from the Hippo Bakery located inside the large Japanese grocery store called Mitsuwa (corner Arlington Hts & Algonquin Rd) has some incredible buttery, flakey, slight crisp, pastries I've had in the Chicago area. very consistent operation.

anyone else have a recommendation?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I have to say that the pastries/cakes/tarts etc. that I have been getting from Nightscotsman are by far the best I've ever had.

I usually go to Rolf's Pattisserie in Lincolnwood (Touhy 1/2 block east of Lincoln). Good selection and fair prices. They also have a couple of tables if you want to stop for a cup of coffee and some sweets.

Bittersweet on Belmont (1100 block?) is also good, but very expensive.

If your in Pilsen you have to go to Bon Bon for tres leches, they make multiple flavors.

Sweet Willie,

I'd have to second you on the Hippo Bakery. Mitsuwa is one of my favorite spots in the Chicagoland area. The bread in the grocery store there is also great. But you can't beat the chocolate-filled turtle pastries at Hippo. I haven't been there for a few months now. Thanks for reminding me!

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

We recently had a small sampling from Vanille, the new shop in town, and Bittersweet. The stuff from Vanille was very high-quality with clean, bright flavors and modern presentation. The passionfruit tart was a standout. The Bittersweet items in comparison were dissapointing. The pound cake was dry and flavorless and the croissants were the worst I've seen outside of a supermarket bakeshop - misshapen, greasy and underbaked.

I have to say that the pastries/cakes/tarts etc. that I have been getting from Nightscotsman are by far the best I've ever had.

:blush:

I just wish more of you guys could come and take them off my hands. I have three cakes in the fridge right now that will probably go to work with my roommate today, and I'll be bringing home two or three more tonight. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN COME AND GET THEM (I'm in Rogers Park)! And there will be sorbet and ice cream starting next week.

I have three cakes in the fridge right now that will probably go to work with my roommate today, and I'll be bringing home two or three more tonight. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN COME AND GET THEM (I'm in Rogers Park)! .

YGM!

My whole family clan will be in town this weekend.

Willie

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"