• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Steakhouse In New Jersey

Rosie

Actually the Texas Steak Cantina in Cedar Knolls makes a #### good steak (you can order filet by the ounce) and they have a really good salad bar to go with it. Plus they make a serious margarita.

Just dont go on a friday or saturday night unless you like long waits and big crowds.

I concur with Rosie of Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill but its a bit overpriced. I thought their pork chops were better than their steak though.

Sabastians in Morristown is also very good if you are looking for a pure steakhouse experience. Good cuts of meat and good sides.

Since moving to Tenafly I havent found anything worthwhile in the Bergen County area yet, but I hear that River Palm Terrace in Edgewater is good, although very pricey.

Usually if I am craving beef around here I go for korean barbeque or cook the steak on my Weber...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My house, NY Strip from McCaffreys's in Princeton, a bit of Cajun Rub ( Bob's secret recipe, we give it as gifts for Christmas and friends that run out mid October start to beg!)  and serve it almost mooing.  At a restauraunt, Diamonds in Trenton is great, IMHO, and Lorenzo's ios even better, but who can deal with all those cigars?

The Franklin Steakhouse in Nutley serves several cuts of beef and all are top quality and also very reasonably priced. Their steaks are on the same level with the top notch/ more expensive places but I feel the most impressive items on the menu are their steak sandwiches. Both the choices on the menu (especially the Italian Steak) and the sanwich of the day off their specials list are can't miss each and every time. Also, do not leave without having their French onion soup - it is the best I have ever had.

A.D.S.

Quote: from Rosie on 7:03 am on Sep. 7, 2001

What a great picture! I have been wanting to go to Frankie and Johnnies for some time now but the parking in Hoboken has been keeping me away. I have heard that it is very good.

rosie, F&J has valet parking.  so you have no excuse.

and i suppose Taboni and i have bumped into each other somewhere in cyberspace, as he/she knows that i do enjoy F&J very much.  

two thumbs up for the Franklin Steakhouse in nutley, 'specially the steak sandwiches!  i don't find their steak all that appealing though.  and certainly the experience over all can't compare to higher-end places.  but #### thems some good steak sandwiches!

• 2 weeks later...

River Palm - original one in Edgewater. Local's in Fair Lawn, and Mahwah too.

Smoke Chophouse and Cigar Emporium, in Englewood.

Ninety Grand Grille, in Englewood - owned and operated by the chef, Jamie Milkman, formerly of Jamie's in Englewood Cliffs.

The Assembly, in Englewood Cliffs.

I also like The Park Steakhouse in Park Ridge too for a bit of a change of pace as I don't get there often.

The others mentioned are excellent too.

Eric

Absolutely about Smoke. However, a couple of things here.

First, they had spent a lot of money on a top line air filtration system. It had mixed reviews and results. Those who are sensitive to smoke did not like it.

Second, and most important - they have no changed their downstairs lounge/private party room to a non smoking section. I found this out last time I was there which was about 2 months ago.

The upstairs room, although JMVHO, can get smokey, however I think you can "smell" the cigars as opposed to being surrounded by smoke. The air filtration system in my opinion does help. If everyone is smoking, yes, it's smokey. But often, not everyone is smoking and people I know who are sensitive to smoke are OK with it.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Mignons in Rutherford (or there abouts)?

Friends of ours went there,  with their daughter and said it was very good.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

• 1 year later...

So far the best steaks I've had at NJ steakhouses were (in order) River Palm, Strip House, Lorenzo's Café, Old Homestead, Salt Creek Grille, Morton's, Sammy's, Manhattan Steakhouse, Assembly Steakhouse, Bacchus, Prime Place and Danny's. Does anybody have any suggestions where else one can find prime dry aged beef? Thanks :)

:D

There have been quite a few discussions about NJ steakhouses. Have you been to Mignon, Frankie & Johnny's or Smoke?

No, No & No. I've heard very good things about F&J's and I'm trying to get a minute to go there. Mignon supposedly wet ages their meat so I'm not hyped about going there.

i don't know exactly what mignon does, but i think it's a great value. i was there last night again, and they cook the steaks perfectly every time. the menu suggests that they're "prime". although i'm not sure what their aging process is. considering it's BYO, it's one of the best values in the area as far as i'm concerned.

Edited by tommy (log)

Posted on Aug 26 2003, 08:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't somebody crown Strip House in Livingston as "best" also?

I haven't been there yet.

Strip House if FANTASTIC - I highly recommend it!

Posted on Aug 26 2003, 08:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't somebody crown Strip House in Livingston as "best" also?

I haven't been there yet.

Strip House if FANTASTIC - I highly recommend it!

"Fantastic" would appear to put Strip House at most 12th on your list of NJ steak houses, based on your in-order listing of many other places.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo