• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daisy May's BBQ USA

Fat Guy

Has anybody else noticed this place? I wouldn't have, save for a wrong turn which had me headed down 11th Avenue in the 40s. I noticed it on the corner of 46th Street and 11th Avenue, with a Grand Opening sign displayed, and, after my planned lunch engagement, wandered back over to check it out.

The owner was not particularly forthcoming about the business, but from what I could beat out of him I gathered that he has a smoking facility farther West on 46th Street where he does the actual cooking. Certainly the stuff tastes as though it has been smoked for real. I tried the "Memphis Dry Rub Ribs" and the "Kansas City Sweet and Sticky Ribs." The dry rub was excellent -- tremendously assertive, so I assume they'll mute it and dumb it down as customers complain -- and the ribs were really nice though perhaps a bit too fatty. The KC ribs were also good, but less so. The baked beans with burnte ends were the only really good side dish of the four I tried (the other three were gluey mashed potatoes, peaches, and pureed sweet potatoes). It's ten bucks for four large ribs and two sides. No seating -- it's a take-out-only joint, though there is a small shelf where you can stand and eat if you really want to. They also sell sweet tea in 32 ounce mason jars for $3.

Worth checking out.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I confess I had two friends in tow. However we did also go out for milkshakes afterwards.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

New York Times only about a week behind what a citizen can learn by mistake:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/27/dining/27STUF.html

It's interesting to see, in a Florence Fabricant "Food Stuff" piece, comments that would be more at home in a review, for example, "He produces irresistibly lush and smoky beef short ribs, chicken that is moist with a little kick, succulent Kansas City-style ribs and chunky pulled pork, which he serves in a sandwich with coleslaw. . . . Mr. Lang's tender baked beans, deeply enriched with burnt ends, are without compare." Doesn't this limit Eric Asimov's (or Sam Sifton's) options if there is ever to be a "$25 and Under" review of the place or a "To Go" column devoted to it? And does Fabricant follow the Times's much-trumpeted guidelines regarding reviewer anonymity, paying for her food, etc.?

Fat Guy, are the dry ribs pork or beef (they'd better be pork!)?

Thanks for the heads up. As transplanted Southerner in NYC, I have been jonesing for decent ribs for years. I'm damn skeptical that a guy from Daniel consulting with someone from Le Cirque could ever produce a decent slab of ribs, but I will go forth to 11th Ave with an empty stomach and open mind......

Well, that's the kind of thing they said about Mike Mills, who came out of nowhere and now is regarded as one of the top pitmasters in the game. The thing is, for all the mysticism and hype, barbecue is smoked meat. There's no gene or spell that makes someone more qualified to do it than anyone else. If you can master it, you can master it. If you can't, you can't. The primary handicaps a New York-based pitmaster faces have nothing to do with lack of innate ability. Rather, they have to do with audience expectations, environmental codes, and various other pitfalls of doing business in the city.

Yes, both the "Memphis Dry Rub Ribs" and the "Kansas City Sweet and Sticky Ribs" are pork. There are also "Oklahoma Jumbo Beef Short Ribs" on the menu.

You don't like the ribs at Blue Smoke? They strike me as being pretty well up to high-level barbecue belt standards.

Well, that's the kind of thing they said about Mike Mills, who came out of nowhere and now is regarded as one of the top pitmasters in the game. The thing is, for all the mysticism and hype, barbecue is smoked meat. There's no gene or spell that makes someone more qualified to do it than anyone else. If you can master it, you can master it. If you can't, you can't. The primary handicaps a New York-based pitmaster faces have nothing to do with lack of innate ability. Rather, they have to do with audience expectations, environmental codes, and various other pitfalls of doing business in the city.

I know, I know - your logic is sound. But you can't take the mysticism out of the ribs for a true Southerner. It's like telling a kid there's no Santa Claus!

Spending days tracking down the shed in a back alley with some 70 year old lady hunched over a pit smoking ribs is part of the religion of BBQ. I'm not going to tell you where this place is - you'll have to go to Savannah, GA and search for the holy grail yourself - but if you do find it don't forget to order a piece a red velvet cake made by the pit lady's 90 year old mother.....

As for Blue Smoke, I should give it another try. I went shortly after it opened and wasn't all that impressed. Then again, the place is probably too expensive and sterile to inspire me to eat BBQ no matter how good. Last time I ate there, I kept looking up for a lightning bolt from my Grandpa to come down from the nether regions and strike me dead for paying $30 for ribs and a few sides. I've got higher hopes for this new place you found, as at least the location has a bit of soul to it. :cool:

there's no Santa Claus!

Stop talking crazy, dude.

there's no Santa Claus!

Stop talking crazy, dude.

How can I? The craving for a perfect slab of dry ribs pushes the limits of my sanity :wacko: . It almost makes my weekly "not long refrigerated" Kung Pao chicken cravings seem controllable.

Gotta run, I think I hear someone landing on my roof with a sack of ribs from Tuscaloosa....

Edited by Felonius (log)

I was really in the mood to stuff myself on ribs and cornbread last Saturday. I went to Daisy May's BBQ at 1pm, and they weren't open yet. I was pissed - I had passed up a lunch invitation, and drove out of my way to try this place. All was not lost - I did manage to put down three hot dogs at Papaya King instead.

I'd call before you go - to check the hours of operation.

johnjohn

• 4 weeks later...

[i originally wrote the following on the "BBQ in NY" board, but, at the request of Fat Guy, am copying it to this Daisy May specific board, in order to keep things better organized.]

Thanks to the NY Times, sadly not Fat Guy, I checked out Daisy May's today. Relying on the Times (or a Times reiteration) takes a bit of the shine off a culinary discovery (a secret informant is more romantic), but it's BBQ, it's new, and it's supposed to be the real deal, so I had to check it out.

I ducked out of work at 1:30pm and took a cab over to 46th and 11th. There was a line curled around the corner, ala the Soup Nazi. A velvet rope was set-up to guide the crowd and a doorman regulated the flow (trickle) inside. Kind of like an exclusive nightclub...for beef.

It took 20-25 minutes to get inside. Once you're in, it's basically a soup kitchen set-up - the side dishes are ladeled out of a long row of trays. The meat is packaged in individual containers. I guess it's smoked down the street, so unfortunately you don't really get to see or smell the main dishes before you order.

I got the Oklahoma Jumbo Beef Short Ribs. Well, Rib, that is. It's the biggest rib I've ever seen. I've never been to OK or TX, so I don't have much to compare it to, but the bone was a foot long, with a gentle curve and the attached hunk of meat was almost as big as a brick. Awesome. The guy I went with is from Texas and the enormity left him speechless.

BBQ is such a visceral, primal eating experience and this rib immediately posits you in a Caveman, "Man like beef" place. Just holding this thing was joyous.

The first few bites were epic. Moist, tender...a smoky Neanderthal brisket. The outer-edge bore the signature red smoke ring. The sauce was tangy, but a little mild for my taste. As I worked through the meat I got a little overwhelmed. I have a huge appetite, but I couldn't get through it. Very, very rich. Fat juices pouring out. And, the meat near the bone was almost gamey, not in a great way. For better or worse, pure bovine essence. The best bites were on the underside of the rib - little charred clusters where the sauce and meat had congealed perfectly.

Sides:

Baked beans with burnt ends were terrific. A smoky, sweet sludge. These actually tasted better than the rib, though the rib's heft is still the most brilliant takeaway image from the experience.

Candied sweet potatoes were very fluffy and lacked character. So whisked they seemed more upscale than homemade, but how can you go wrong with sweet potaters and a stick of butter?

Apples in brandy seemed good enough, but I was too far stuffed to be critical. I'm still stuffed, 8 hours later.

The service is incredibly inefficient. There's about 10 people behind the counter operating in an uncoordinated haze. They made my post-meal lethargy look like hyperactivity. Very nice people, though (perhaps the slow-paced hospitality is another touch of Southern authenticity?) so I wasn't irritated. Just don't go at lunch if you're in a rush.

At $10 (Main dish, two sides and soda, including tax), it's got to be one of the most exceptional values in the city.

Next time, the Dry Rub Ribs or the Pulled Pork.

I checked out Daisy May's today with a friend, for lunch.

I am no barbecue expert (a situation I must rectify), but I'll give you my impression of the place.

We split an order of the dry rub pork ribs and the Kansas City sweet pork ribs. We enjoyed both. I thought they must have toned down the dry rub as Fat Guy predicted because "assertive" is not a word I would choose to describe it. I thought it was tasty but almost restrained. I preferred the sweet ribs, which to my inexperienced palate were almost ideal.

The show was totally stolen by the beans, however, which as others have posted were truly exquisite. And we liked the peaches in Bourbon.

We were in and out of there in less than ten minutes. There was a short line, but I think the NY Times article rush has already come and gone.

We tried to sit at the bar at the Landmark Tavern across the street, but we were told there that we couldn't bring in our own food. Bad business decision, if you ask me. We ended up instead at a place on the east side of 9th Ave, just south of 46th (or was it 45th?) called, I think, the 9th Avenue Saloon. The place was uncrowded, they welcomed our business, and they have cheap drafts.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Thursday, just before Isabel hit, I shot over to 11th ave. I picked up the Beef Rib, Creamed Corn, Baked Beans and the Mason jar of Tea. $13.00, a great deal.

I walked down to the ferry station to take a boat back to my Jersey home, thinking that if I cath the boat at the right time I could be home in 20 minutes and it'd still be fresh. While sitting on the dock my stomach got the better of me and I lopped of a hunk of the rib, just to taste it of course. Once it hit my mouth I was moved, immediately, to run inside and set up on one of the little counters they have there. I was completely unable to stop myself from devouring the entire thing. It was easily the best BBQ I've had in New York, and possibly the best in my life. I thought Blue Smoke was good, I even know the sous chef, when I saw her the next day I told her there was a new boss in town. It was close to a religous experience.

The Corn and Beans I held off on until later that night, they made a good snack during the storm. Both were fantastic. The corn has maybe a little too much cream, it was a tad watery, but the addition of greeen and red peppers really made it bite. The Beans, well, everyone loves the beans, I can't say anything that hasn't already been said.

Just go already.

Thursday, just before Isabel hit, I shot over to 11th ave. I picked up the Beef Rib, Creamed Corn, Baked Beans and the Mason jar of Tea. $13.00, a great deal.

I walked down to the ferry station to take a boat back to my Jersey home, thinking that if I cath the boat at the right time I could be home in 20 minutes and it'd still be fresh. While sitting on the dock my stomach got the better of me and I lopped of a hunk of the rib, just to taste it of course. Once it hit my mouth I was moved, immediately, to run inside and set up on one of the little counters they have there. I was completely unable to stop myself from devouring the entire thing. It was easily the best BBQ I've had in New York, and possibly the best in my life. I thought Blue Smoke was good, I even know the sous chef, when I saw her the next day I told her there was a new boss in town. It was close to a religous experience.

The Corn and Beans I held off on until later that night, they made a good snack during the storm. Both were fantastic. The corn has maybe a little too much cream, it was a tad watery, but the addition of greeen and red peppers really made it bite. The Beans, well, everyone loves the beans, I can't say anything that hasn't already been said.

Just go already.

We tried to sit at the bar at the Landmark Tavern across the street, but we were told there that we couldn't bring in our own food.  Bad business decision, if you ask me.  We ended up instead at a place on the east side of 9th Ave, just south of 46th (or was it 45th?) called, I think, the 9th Avenue Saloon.  The place was uncrowded, they welcomed our business, and they have cheap drafts.

I was informed this weekend by my fellow Daisy May's eater that the bar we stumbled into to eat our ribs was actually.... a gay bar. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I said I hadn't noticed.

"Didn't you see the rainbow flag, etc.?" he asked.

I guess I wasn't paying attention. The place was almost empty. I was focused on the beans.

So now you know, if for some reason you care. Next time I go to Daisy May's, I'll most likely return there. As I said before, they were almost empty at lunchtime, they seemed happy to have us eat there, and the drafts were cheap.

I was informed this weekend by my fellow Daisy May's eater that the bar we stumbled into to eat our ribs was actually.... a gay bar.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I said I hadn't noticed. 

"Didn't you see the rainbow flag, etc.?" he asked.

I guess I wasn't paying attention.  The place was almost empty.  I was focused on the beans. 

i stumbled into the same place once and sat there for about 20 minutes before my friend convinced me that there was a reason there were no women in the place...and a reason that a huge flag was flying behing the bar. :laugh:

neat little place, though. class shot and beer joint.

Edited by tommy (log)

Do you have the right place? Daisy May's is located on the corner of 46th and 11th ave. across from the Landmark Tavern. It is not a gay bar, in fact there is no seating or alcohol being served. Where did you end up?

Do you have the right place?  Daisy May's is located on the corner of 46th and 11th ave. across from the Landmark Tavern.  It is not a gay bar, in fact there is no seating or alcohol being served.  Where did you end up?

Back up a few posts. Tommy & I are talking about a bar a few blocks from Daisy May's, where I actually ate my Daisy May ribs last week.

OK, Fat Guy - I swallowed my Southern pride and trecked down to Daisy May's the other day. I thought the ribs were quite good, although certainly not world-class. I was fighting a rather nasty cold at the time, so perhaps my taste buds weren't calibrated well enough to give a fair evaluation. I sampled both the the dry and sticky ribs, though I didn't find them all that much different from one another in terms of taste. The char (or whatever one calls the outside cooked area) was good, and they certainly had a fine dose of smoky flavor. This is really a matter of personal preference, but I found them to be a bit too fatty for my taste. I like ribs that have been smoked in such a way that more of the fat has been burned off, almost in the way that really good duck confit retains the flavorful skin but not so much of the fat beneath. I know that "dry" ribs may connotate less sauce and a dry spice rub, but in my mind it also means less fat and a bit chewier texture to the rib. So I was a bit disappointed to find the texture of the sticky and dry ribs to be much the same at Daisy May's. As for sides items, I tried the beans, creamed corn, and sweet potatoes. I liked the beans a lot - good smoky flavor with chunks of pork debris. The creamed corn was average (then again, how much can one really do with creamed corn?). The sweet potatoes were the only major strike out. They had little flavor, and almost tasted as if they'd been mixed with regular mashed potatoes. I've had better sweet taters at public school cafeterias in the South, no kidding. I think my favorite part of the meal was the tea in a Mason jar. It's the first decent sweet tea (a Southern substitute for water at every meal) I've ever had in NYC, and had a good musky tea flavor with just the right amount of sugar. I'll go back to Daisy May's just for a sweet tea fix!

Overall, I'd rate Daisy May's a B to B+ in the great scheme of Barbecue. Given the competition (or lack thereof) in NYC, I'd rate it an A+. Now I need to go back to Blue Smoke and see how it compares. Any thoughts on this Fat Guy?

By the way, the meal combo special seems to have been 86'd at Daisy May's. They are now selling the ribs and sides a la carte only.

• 2 months later...

I recently visited the Landmark Tavern on a Burger Club expedition, and finding myself so close to Daisy May's, went over and gave it a try. With all due respect, you could get better barbecue in almost any gas station in the Southland. Only in New York could this stuff pass muster. I didn't try the pulled pork, because that's almost never a good test of a barbecue, but the dry-rub ribs were shay-dee. So soft and mushy as to make me suspect that they were parboiled, they were also covered with a thick, mushy caking of spice. The beef ribs were harsh to the point of being inedible...just a bad experience all around. Daisy May's is closer to a Bennigans or Tony Roma's than to real Q. On the other hand, it's no worse than some of the ribs I've eaten in Memphis...so maybe they aren't that inauthentic. And they're no less insipid and mushy than Blue Smoke's "st. louis ribs." But Blue Smoke's beef ribs are to these Hyperion to a satyr. There's no comparison at all. Virgil's, Blue Smoke, and Pearson's are the bbq triumvirate right now. Daisy May's isn't even part of the conversation -- at least for me. :hmmm:

Josh

Edited by Mister_Cutlets (log)
Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!