• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watermelon Sorbet

Rachel Perlow

OK, the watermelon is deseeded, pureed & strained. I have Lemons, Persian and Key Limes in the house. Sugar, check. Corn Syrup, check. Water, obviously. I've found several recipes on the internet and am amazed at how different the proportions are. I'm not averse to adding some alcholol either. Here are some ingredient lists:

Recipe #1

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1/3 cup light corn syrup

2 cups pureed watermelon (I think this is supposed to be 2 lbs, because it later says to "add 3 cups of watermelon puree...")

1 Tbsp lemon juice

Recipe #2

2 1/2   lb           Watermelon (2 cups when deseeded & pureed)

1       c            Sugar -- minus 1 tablespoon

2       tb           Lemon juice

1       tb           Vodka

Recipe #3 - from the National Watermelon Board

1/2 medium watermelon, sliced lengthwise

1 (6 ounce) can frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed and undiluted

1 (15 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained

1/2 cup sugar

Fresh mint sprigs for garnish

Recipe #4 (with Lime)

1 quart         Watermelon pulp

1/3  cup           Sugar

2 T Lime juice

Some others suggested adding beaten egg whites, but I don't want to go that route. This will be served alongside Watermelon Ice Cream with Chocolate Seeds, so I don't want the sherbet consistancy. But, I don't want the finished product to be a rock hard ice either. Which recipe would you choose, how would you modify it? I don't want to add geletin either and I think they all need a pinch of salt. TIA.

Rachel I make watermelon sorbetto from a Marcella Hazan recipe that was so good, but I can't remember at the moment which of her books it's in.

It was simple syrup, pureed watermelon, lemon. (And I'd second you on the pinchy-pinch of salt.) But the key was how she pointed out how the mixture doesn't taste like much of anything (very very subtley watermelony) until you add whatever citrus juice in critical mass ... it's like nothing, nothing, nothing ... WHAMMO! Superultrawatermelon.

Hmmm got the second half of a beautiful watermelon roosting in the fridge even as I type...

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Side note: How do you store your leftover watermelon? I've taken to placing it (round end down) in a bowl, and covering with plastic wrap. I found that when storing the plastic wrapped watermelon on its side, the juice tended to leak on the fridge shelf. The plastic wrap also clings better to the bowl than the watermelon rind, so the cut edge stays fresher as well. (This is my fourth watermelon of the summer, so I've been experimenting.)

Oh, I'll do that too if there's only a small amount left. But, since it's usually just the two of us eating that watermelon, it stays fresher longer if kept intact. I just keep slicing a couple inches off the top to cut up at a time.

In order to keep your sorbet slightly soft and easy to scoop, you might want to add some alcohol (1 or 2 ounces) to whatever recipe you settle on to counteract the high water content of the watermelon puree.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Yes.

Here's my current working recipe, which should yield about 1 qt. Any more comments before I make it?

Watermelon Sorbet

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1 handful of whole Mint leaves

1/4 tsp salt

Citrus: Juice and finely grated zest of 1 Lemon, 2 Limes or 3 Key Limes

3 cups pureed watermelon flesh (seeded & strained)

1 T Rum (if using Limes) or Vodka (if using Lemon)

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a saucepan. Stir until it boils. Reduce heat, add mint leaves and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain out mint leaves, add salt and citrus zest, then refrigerate. Add watermelon and citrus juice to the cold syrup mixture. Freeze in ice cream machine until of a soft consistency. Spoon into air tight container and firm in the freezer for a few hours before serving.

Limes rather than lemons.

Why the corn syrup?

I'm planning on using Key Limes. I just figured, for posting the recipe, that I'd specify options.

Re: Corn Syrup - From the Problems with Ice Cream thread:

Just tasted it after a few hours hardening in the freezer. It got quite firm, probably due to the low overrun. I think 20 minutes in the fridge before serving will be necessary. It is a little icy, but no big ice crystals. I stored in pint & half pint containers, so I don't think there's too much danger of the melting/refreeze ice crystals forming. :raz:

try adding a little corn syrup next time to the mix you heat.

It might help the ice cream not get so hard and will help stop the formation of ice crystals.

Blo - how much alcohol per quart of puree?

The advice for adding alcohol to sorbets with high water content comes from David Lebovitz's Room for Dessert (p.107). He says you can add or eliminate it according to taste, but his standard seems to be 2 tablespoons/quart for vodka and 1/4 cup/quart for champagne.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a saucepan. Stir until it boils. Reduce heat, add mint leaves and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain out mint leaves, add salt and citrus zest, then refrigerate. Add watermelon and citrus juice to the cold syrup mixture. Freeze in ice cream machine until of a soft consistency. Spoon into air tight container and firm in the freezer for a few hours before serving.

See bold.

I have added this to RecipeGullet, click here.

Rachel,

I was going to suggest using Absolut Citron for your vodka.

BTW, if you're really into this sorbet thing, a pese de sirop will blow your mind.

You can pick one up at JB Prince next time you're in the city. It's been discussed in the forum before on one of the sorbet and ice cream threads, it will cost you around 20 to 40 bucks and it will help you make your stuff fantastic all the time as pertaining to the consistancy of your mix.

One of my chefs can't believe how great the sorbets scoop,etc.

I didn't have any puree's this morning for a sorbet so I made a 'Ginger Lime Ricky' one with ginger infused simple syrup, lime juice and some spanish cava.

Used my 'pese' to adjust the baume and the stuff spun like a wonder!

Not trying to get scientific on you, just thought you might be interested :biggrin:

Hope your sorbet turned out groovy!

2317/5000

Damn! Now I'm tempted to make some sorbet too, just to have a taste-off.

Naw, I can't possibly steal Rachel's thunder. Besides, . . . well, I just want to taste hers! Sounds sooooo good. :biggrin:

What about Bacardi Limon? Maybe I'll get some to pour over?

I'm more of a purist, I wouldn't use mint or citrus zest in a watermelon sorbet. They would over power the watermelon, too much for me.

Love the idea of Absolut Citron!

O.k. please tell me more about this "pese de sirop" I'm not familar with it? If it adjusts the baume why don't you just make a denser syrup? It makes me think of corn syrup...............

Actually instead of Absolut Citron we are going to use Cruzan Citrus Rum -- combined with the lime it should give it that sorta Mojito flavor.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Actually instead of Absolut Citron we are going to use Cruzan Citrus Rum -- combined with the lime it should give it that sorta Mojito flavor.

Cool.

It seems the rum would kind of take away from the watermelon taste but heck, who knows?

Hope it turns out great! :biggrin:

2317/5000

Rachel:

When this is finished, and assuming the recipe comes out as wonderfully as it sounds, would you be so kind as to post the finished recipe (and/or tweaked recipe) in the Archives for the rest of us?

I can't wait to hear how this turned out and know I'll be able to find it later when I know I'll want to make it!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I already posted it and linked to it above, but here's the link again: Watermelon Sorbet.

I used a combination of Key Lime & Persian Lime and the Cruzan Citrus Rum. I think the sorbet would be fine with either the Lemon or the Lime, but not the Key Limes, they're a little bitter and a pain to juice. It's been in the deep freeze for several hours and is still of scoopable texture, so hopefully it won't go rock hard by Saturday.

The mint is really very subtle. The sorbet could use more to bring it up to the barely noticable level, but I wouldn't go subbing in mint extract. That would be too obvious, better to leave it out if you don't have any or aren't sure about using it.