• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That Chicken

Ditto what Rachel said...

I used to catch your shows without fail, except for one that really intrigued me and I kept just getting it at the end. It was the one where you were trying to recreast some phenomenal baked chicken you ate somewhere, France I think. It drove me nuts trying to find goose fat and I was about to get a goose and make my own when I finally found it. (I may do a goose anyway!)

If it is not too long, could you relate the story of that chicken? Have you changed the recipe any?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oh, yeah....I loved that roast chicken show too!

I can't remember which bistro in Paris.....but it was a chef there who told me about the goose fat miracle. Don't you agree? It really works! Brings out the soul of poultry! Then I made the second discovery on my own. Someone had sent me this really cheesy-looking countertop "oven" that I was about to ignore. But.....I was working on roast chicken at the time.....so I figured: why not pop one (goose-fat-soaked) bird in this thing? Oh.....my.....God! The skin was SO crisp! The meat, even the breast, was SO juicy! Then I realized: this cheesy thing was a countertop version of a convection oven! That was it for me: goose fat and convection for any roast chicken forevermore.

Plus: last year I discovered my favorite American chicken. You need this! It's raised in Nebraska, and you can get all the info from a back issue of my newsletter, The Rosengarten Report. They will ship it right to your door! (You're own your own for the convection oven!)