• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamilton's Grill Room

Rosie

It is no surprise that Hamilton's Grill Room, 8 Coryell Street, Lambertville has been open 15 years as Chef/owner Jim Hamilton serves dazzling food in a delightful setting with professional helpful waiters. We couldn't have asked for a better dining experience than the one we had there recently.

The problem we had is that we wanted to order everything on the menu! We started off with a Greek salad; grilled romaine with parmesan cheese and the best crab cakes with a red pepper coulis that I have ever had. "I want to order this next time" is what we all said after tasting each entrée. We devoured a grilled rib eye steak with garlic chive butter; softshell crabs with a spicy remoulade; sea scallops with their roe and a perfectly cooked rack of lamb. We shared a sour cherry crumble for dessert which you must order if it is on the menu.

The restaurant is open Monday through Saturday from 6 to 10 PM; Sunday from 5 to 9 PM; BYO. Reserve early for a Saturday night. If it is warm enough try to get a table outside. For reservations call 609 397-4343.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...

I know this post is old but I must comment.

I have eaten at this restaurant twice, The first time I was very disappointed by the rave reviews and blah food, service was slow and unattentive.

I am not one to write off a bad experience for many reasons, the main one being I am in the buisness and give second chances.

Upon our second visit we were to enjoy an eairly dinner with another couple, we arraived first and were given a table while waiting for our friends, we were not asked if we would like a bevreage, water, our wine opened, nothing.

When the rest of our party arrived the were waiting at the hostess stand for 10-15 minutes before being led back to our table. Then we were given menus and our beverage order taken, Our wine was opened and we ordered our meals

My appetizer was a disappointing array of three medium sized shrimp (unpeeled) grilled and served with some greens and an anchovy butter sauce - I would have liked it if the shrimp were not over cooked and perhaps peeled (as I do not enjoy peeling grilled shrimp at my table)

My entree was a steak cooked two temps over on the first attempt and very undercooked on the second try.

I am sorry but none of us that night left feeling happy or that the staff even cared if we were.

I do not reccomend this place unless you are very hungry and want to be charged well for sublime middle of the road grilled food.

B.

• 1 month later...

Had to chime in.

Hands down I disagree with you Chefb!

Hamilton's grill room is consistently "on" in the food it puts out. Moreover the signature "shrimp with anchovie butter" is a staple that we order everytime and has NEVER disappointed us or any people we have sent to the restaurant. This dish is so popular/good that Jim's daughter who opened the well-received PRUNE in NYC took it to her menu. It sounds like you hit 2 incredibly off nights -- our fish, beef or other meats have always been on the mark. Sorry to get worked up, but I truly feel that there are few (NJ) restaurants that have consistently pleased us; we are also in the food industry and look quite critically when we go out. I will admit that the service does range from average to above average. But overall, the service has never left a negative impression on our meal.

I also recommend grabbing a cocktail at the boathouse across from Hamilton's before dinner.

We had dinner at Hamilton's Grill Room on the 14th of October last year and although I can't completely agree with Chefb2057, the meal was only average at best. I expected much more after reading the reviews. We had the sheared duck and grilled swordfish, which were okay, but nothing to write home about. We'll give it another try when we're in the area again, possibly next month.

That said, I have to disagree with m(a)ce. We consider service a key ingredient in the overall dining experience. No matter how good the food is, if the service is below par, for any reason, the meal looses some of its pleasure. It may be that I'm more used to dining in France and Spain than New Jersey, but regardless of where you are, service can make or break a great meal. I'm not in the food industry, I know a few good, if not great, chefs and service is a prime ingredient in the success of their restaurants. Service brings people back time and again.

Chefb2057, m(a)ce and Phillip--thanks for your reports and welcome to eGullet. Be sure to give us reports on other NJ restaurants you dine at. As you know two people can go to the same restaurant on the same night and have two very different experiences.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 6 months later...

I've heard some recent grumblings that Hamilton Grill Room was on the slippery downhill slope, but a recent visit didn't reflect that to our happy party of 4.

A recent Thursday 7pm reservation landed us a lovely table overlooking the canal, Spring like enough to have the windows opened.

Service was efficient and professional..wines opened promptly, friendly small talk but not intrusive, nice descriptions of specials that sounded genuinely enthusiastic, not memorized. We were dining with our physician and his wife...so I ordered perhaps a bit more healthfully than I might have..I rarely order a salad as an appetizer, but was not disappointed. A rather traditional chese/pear/nuts/greens combo,but well dressed, sparkling fresh. Dining companions had grilled asparagus, oysters and another salad...I'm blanking on the name of the oysters..its those tiney ones with a K..kumumoto? My husband, an oyster afficianado, declared them to be very good.

Entrees included a well prepared, MR lamb, with a wonderful curry vegetable ragout. My husband had brook trout, which I thought was a four star dish, and rarely seen on menus in this area. It was accompanied by a creamy starchy timbbale..I'm not sure what it was..not polenta, perhaps a mashed potato cake of some kind..had a leek and turnip taste as well. Only had a forkful, and forgot to take a peek of the menu on the way out to confirm what it was.

Dessert was hit or miss..the gentleman ordered a chocolate peanut butter mousse..and to the waiter's credit, he repeatedly said it was not the "texture" of a mouse, more like a "pudding"...um..more like canned frosting, actually. A few spoonfuls and it was too overwhelming. My coconut lemon tart was perhaps one day past its prime..nice bright lemon flavor, but mushy insipid crust. I had a taste of a companions apricot sorbet, which was dazzling with flavor.

I'm thankful there was no parsley or rosemary savory/sweet fusion dishes...no basil with my ice cream. please. ( And, as a side note, no vanilla with the steak. I can't wait for this particular trend to pass)

Certainly not an inspiring meal, but a pretty atmosphere, good service, reasonable prices, and above average food. Coupled with a before or after dinner drink at the always charming Boathouse next door, I think Hamilton's Grill Room still provides for an enjoyable night out.

Edited by Kim WB (log)