• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best books for Indian Vegetarian

rick

I am looking for regional vegetarian ideas from India that go beyond the stereotyped punjabi restaurant-style dishes that you usually find in Indian restaurants.

Does anyone have any good cookbook suggestions on this topic?

Thanks!

Rick

Here are some suggestions. If you need the recipes, PM me

Potato Sticks (Bengali Aloo Charchari)

The state of Bengal, where this dish originates, is often called Sonar Bangla or Golden Bengal. This state in eastern India, gets its nickname from the fields of mustard that cover the countryside. Bengali cuisine is a gourmet’s delight. I can provide you with my version of this classic simple Bengali dish.

Cabbage with Black mustard seeds (Muttakos Poriyal)

Poriyals or dried spiced vegetables have their roots in South Indian cooking. Vegetables are allowed to sweat and cook in their own moisture and the results are just plain yummy! Another feather in the cap of Poriyals is how easy they are to prepare. Traditionally some uncooked skinned black gram is added to the dish, I like to make mine with out the black lentils.

Hyderabadi Chilli Pepper Curry (Mirchi Ka Salan)

This dish is not for the weak of stomach or heart. Full of robust flavors and a texture to match, this dish is really a gourmet’s delight. You can use the Anaheim peppers or the cubanelle chilies.

Potato Curry (Assami Ril Do)

This is my version of an Assami classic. Assam is a state on the eastern cost of India. If the name sounds familiar, its because Assam tea is world famous

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Rick,

You can email me at chef@suvir.com and I can send you several vegetarian dishes that will be features in my book.

I am vegetarian, so cooking with vegetables gives me immense pleasure and I have never served (at least to my knowledge) a vegetarian meal that has not left even the most fanatic meat eaters sated and pleased even with any meat.

Vegetarian Indian cooking is wonderful and very diverse.

Welcome to eGullet and its Indian forum. :smile:

You might want to look at The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yemuna Devi. My copy is an English edition. I'm not sure if it released in the states, but it's available at Jessica's Biscuit. It has vegetarian recipes from all the regions.

Suvir, you're right. I don't miss meat when I eat Indian. A meal leaves me full and happily satisfied. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

You might want to look at The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yemuna Devi.  My copy is an English edition.  I'm not sure if it released in the states, but it's available at Jessica's Biscuit.  It has vegetarian recipes from all the regions. 

Suvir, you're right.  I don't miss meat when I eat Indian.  A meal leaves me full and happily satisfied.  :smile:

What are some of the recipes you have tried and enjoyed?

• 5 weeks later...
I am looking for regional vegetarian ideas from India that go beyond the stereotyped punjabi restaurant-style dishes that you usually find in Indian restaurants.

Does anyone have any good cookbook suggestions on this topic?

I have had very good results using recipes from this book:

Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India, by Chandra Padmanabhan

In this book, in addition to the good recipes, she also suggests sets of dishes which would make for a full course dinner or lunch.