• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Surf and Turf Philly Style

Holly Moore

Some may remember Johnny's Hots when it was just a shack on the east side of Delaware Avenue just above Spring Garden. "Hots" refers to Johnny's jumbo grilled hot sausage sandwich. Not an Italian hot sausage, but a large hot dog with spicy heat pumped into it. Anyhow Johnny has moved across the street and a couple of blocks north to sparkling new digs.

Along with the Hot Sausage, Johnny grills up hot dogs and what is known only in Philadelphia as a "combo." JohnnysSausage-Combo.jpg

A hot dog with a fish cake mashed on top of it. Johnny calls it a "Surf and Turf." As far as we can figure out it started at the long departed and greatly missed Levis' on South 6th Street. But we have no idea why. Just another quirk of Philadelphia's tradition of fine dining.

Johnny's Hots at HollyEats.Com

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Some may remember Johnny's Hots when it was just a shack on the east side of Delaware Avenue just above Spring Garden.  "Hots" refers to Johnny's jumbo grilled hot sausage sandwich.  Not an Italian hot sausage, but a large hot dog with spicy heat pumped into it.  Anyhow Johnny has moved across the street and a couple of blocks north to sparkling new digs.

Along with the Hot Sausage, Johnny grills up hot dogs and what is known only in Philadelphia as a "combo."  JohnnysSausage-Combo.jpg

A hot dog with a fish cake mashed on top of it.  Johnny calls it a "Surf and Turf."  As far as we can figure out it started at the long departed and greatly missed Levis' on South 6th Street.  But we have no idea why.  Just another quirk of Philadelphia's tradition of fine dining.

GIMME

Some may remember Johnny's Hots when it was just a shack on the east side of Delaware Avenue just above Spring Garden.  "Hots" refers to Johnny's jumbo grilled hot sausage sandwich.  Not an Italian hot sausage, but a large hot dog with spicy heat pumped into it.  Anyhow Johnny has moved across the street and a couple of blocks north to sparkling new digs.

Along with the Hot Sausage, Johnny grills up hot dogs and what is known only in Philadelphia as a "combo."  JohnnysSausage-Combo.jpg

A hot dog with a fish cake mashed on top of it.  Johnny calls it a "Surf and Turf."  As far as we can figure out it started at the long departed and greatly missed Levis' on South 6th Street.  But we have no idea why.  Just another quirk of Philadelphia's tradition of fine dining.

GIMME

no, go get it. :biggrin:

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Holly:

Thanks for reminding me about the old Levis' fish cake combos. I'd buried that in the recesses of the brain. Damn those were good. Will have to go check out the Johnny Hots version as soon as I'm able.

Back in the day, I had friends that lived in an apartment directly above Levis Hot Dogs that they ceremoniously referred to as "Weenie Manor" :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Warning:  Johnny's hours aren't the most convenient.  4:30 AM to 3 PM, Monday thru Friday.

Well, the way I look at it, breakfast, brunch and lunch all fall within that time frame--it's just a matter of getting someone to drive me there for lunch one of these days, since I don't really do breakfast, and brunch is verboten on weekdays unless I'm on vacation...

• 1 month later...
Warning:  Johnny's hours aren't the most convenient.  4:30 AM to 3 PM, Monday thru Friday.

Well, the way I look at it, breakfast, brunch and lunch all fall within that time frame--it's just a matter of getting someone to drive me there for lunch one of these days, since I don't really do breakfast, and brunch is verboten on weekdays unless I'm on vacation...

I finally got a chance to stop by there yesterday and get lunch before touring the constitution center. The combo is everything I remember it being and more. My wife had her first taste of one as well, and was surprised at how good it was. All is right with the world.

• 1 year later...

for those of you interested in this sort of thing: johnny's hots has now introduced several new items onto their menu, including steak sandwiches, bean soup, and in a move that seems to defy everything about a hot dog stand: broccoli rabe. i'm not sure how they prepare it because i got my usual combo. i mean, ordering vegetables there? that just seems wrong; after all, they're... like.... good for you.

the combo is still a thing of beauty though. i have converted a couple of my coworkers.

. . .and in a move that seems to defy everything about a hot dog stand: broccoli rabe.  i'm not sure how they prepare it because i got my usual combo.  i mean, ordering vegetables there?  that just seems wrong; after all, they're... like.... good for you.

Hey, broccoli rabe is a cruciferous vegetable, just like cabbage, from whence sauerkraut derives. Therefore . . .

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 1 month later...

I had my semi-annual surf n' turf this afternoon. Semi-annual because, while I likes me some Johnny's Hots, I have to drive there, and I hates me some driving.

Anyway, it got me to thinking: are fish cakes served anywhere else in the city? I haven't seen them. It's easy to see why fish cakes are something that wouldn't be super-popular, even though they're not particularly strong-tasting. (In fact, that's my major complaint with the cakes: while the sausage is nice and spicy, the fish cake is kinda bland.) Anybody know the history here?

The hot dog truck at 24th and Passyunk has fish cakes, 1/3 pound hot sausages and his killer homemade relish. You may want to use a basic dog for the surf & turf, but don't forget that relish!

Holly's page

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Oh, how I miss Old Original Levis hot dogs now. Still the best hot dog-fish cake combo ever. The APJ combo does come close, however. And thats' the best we'll be able to do for now.

The Mrs Paul's frozen fish cake is acceptable, and with the right hot dog at home ( an Isaac Gellis kosher dog comes to mind), you can prolly make a respectable tribute to the Old Original Levis version.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 1 year later...

Time to bump this thread up.

Lunch today from Johnny Hots:

gallery_7409_476_63001.jpg

I had to be up and about early today to do some shopping for work. Had time to swing by and have a Philly Surf n' Turf with pepper hash on top.

Definitely as good as I remember, and very filling. I won't need to eat for the rest of the day.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Funny this should come up today. I have never been to Johnny Hots and already have an appointment within blooks tommorow PM, so I was already planing on trying it out then.

I have been debating if I would really go for the fishcake combo, but the picture Rich posted in the other thread is just not that appealing.

Your picture makes it look much more appetizing!

Edited to ask:

If one normally eats Ketchup on a hotdog and cocktail sauce with a crabcake, then does this concoction warrent cocktail sauce and is it available?

Edited by brucedelta (log)

i never asked for cocktail sauce, so i don't know the answer.

i also don't like ketchup on a hot dog, but i always get it on the combo. it works. i was just there last week, and man is that good.

At Johhny Hots, Ive had the hot dog-fishcake combo with a little mustard, a little ketchup and some of John's amazing pepper hash. Ask for extra pepper hash and spill some off the sandwich and taste it solo, it is a great condiment.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

If one normally eats Ketchup on a hotdog and cocktail sauce with a crabcake, then does this concoction warrent cocktail sauce and is it available?

Can't answer that, but do recommend you avoid Chicago. Ordering ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago is as great a transgression as wearing a Dallas Cowboy's jersey to an Eagle's game.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I was bringing mine home, so I only ordered the pepper hash and added a smear of good Dijon mustard at home. If comsuming on premise, I'd ask for mustard and pepper hash on a surf n" turf.

Let us know if you liked it.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

So I visited Johhny Hots yesterday and ordered the famed surf and turf. I had it with pepper hash and ketchup (no cocktail sauce offered, but horseradish and ketchup are available).

I would have to rate it mostly a big yawn, not my cup of tea. The fish cake was inocent enough and relativly mild, but it was like having a pile of fishy mush on a nicely grilled hot dog.

It has already been observed that a crispy fishcake could be an improvemet and I would agree.

Oerall I would say not as gross as imagined, but not a miracle pairing either.

The fish cake was inocent enough and relativly mild, but it was like having a pile of fishy mush on a nicely grilled hot dog.

That's about right. With the fishcake sandwich, you pretty much have to be in the mood for some hot starch-on-starch action.

Anyway, this thread + a day off = a trip to Johnny's for me today. While I was there, I noticed a sign saying that they had won a Best Of prize from Philadelphia magazine for their cheesesteak. Anybody tried it?

The fish cake was inocent enough and relativly mild, but it was like having a pile of fishy mush on a nicely grilled hot dog.

That's about right. With the fishcake sandwich, you pretty much have to be in the mood for some hot starch-on-starch action.

Anyway, this thread + a day off = a trip to Johnny's for me today. While I was there, I noticed a sign saying that they had won a Best Of prize from Philadelphia magazine for their cheesesteak. Anybody tried it?

The cheesesteak, roast beef and roast pork sammies are all first class, easily some of the best in the city. The cheesesteak earned the BOP. It's that good.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large