• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Centrifuged Pea Juice (2•367)

Anonymous Modernist 3281

I got a centrifuge, but it cannot do 27,500g...

It's a big machine and all I'll be able to get, at best, is 3,900g

So the tomato water i spun for 30 minutes at 3900g came out with a reddish tinge, as opposed to crystal clear. 2 more hours at 3900g did not really seem to make a difference.

Now I want to try the pea butter... but is it even possible with my centrifuge?

will I eventually get the same thing, if I just spin for much longer? and how much longer would that be, exactly, if at all?

Are there charts?

Hello,

I got a Beckman TJ-6 with about the same capacity and the same g-force as yours and I did some pea butter a couple of time by spinning it for four five hours. (I haven't tried less time and adding a bit of water seem to help the process. Next time I'll probably test to see if Pectinex make a difference.) In theory if you spin something 27500/3900=7 time as long you should get the same results. But in practice it's not the same because some things won't clarify the same way at a lower strength for a longer time. But feel free to experiment because when you look in MC you can see that they just used what they had on hands. Everything is spinned one hour at 27500g! So feel free to experiment a bit and lets share our findings!

Have fun

Louis-Frederic

• 1 month later...

Will the pectinex ruin the pea butter? or will i still get that out of the peas?

I heard David Arnold explain that 15 minutes or 6 hours at the same low g force really doesn't make any difference. He said that in about 15 minutes most of what's going to happen happens. The timer on my Beckman GS-6R has "hold," and up to 30 minutes. I made two batches of pea butter and got two results.

The first batch started with semi frozen peas, that i pureed in my cuisinart. I put those into the centrifuge at 40C for 30 minutes. I got 27 grams of pea butter from 920 grams of peas.

To try and increase the yield, I then allowed a bag of peas to thaw completely, then I pureed those, deaerated them (oh I did that to the first batch as well) then spun them at 3200 g like the first batch but this time 40C for 30 minutes then 5C for another 5.5 hours. It probably takes the centrifuge 15-30 minutes or so when on, to reach the new temperature, but I wasn't watching.

I only got 12 grams on the 2nd run.

The fact is that the output was very similar in other ways. I got about 250g of pea water both times... maybe 300g.

What was your experience?

I never tried the Pectinex with the pea butter but that's a great idea. I just checked that peas are quite high in pectin with ~.6%. We'll see if that improve the yield on the butter. In my centrifuge I have no control over the temperature so the product get quite hot when I run it for a long time. (My fingertips would say about 60C...) When I do a five hours run at about 4000g with 2.5KG of peas I get a not quite full 4oz ziplock container. I never precisely measured the yield. While blending I sometime add a bit of water especially if the peas are frozen so that it's easier to blend at the beginning.

Next time I'll be more careful with my yield. Since my three runs were months apart I cannot even compare between them...

Well, I'm curious now... is pectin an essential part of pea butter or not? The easiest way to find out is to do a run. I'll go get a bag of peas at the grocery, thaw, add 10% water, .2% pectinex, puree, then do 30 mins at 40C and then turn it down to 5c for a while to harden the butter, if there will be any... we'll see how that goes.

• 2 weeks later...

dkliman,

We don‚’t add anything to the peas we use for pea butter. The peas do need at least an hour at 10,000 rpm, though. The puck forms sooner, but it will not be packed tightly enough to scrape the butter off the top without bringing some of the starch with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed you guys mentioning spinach butter in a video and i couldn't find that recipe in your books... so could you give it here? also, is there anything useful that can be done with the solid puck that comes out of this? as a matter of a fact, feel free to name some useful things to do with all the parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have made a small post with some pictures from when I made Pea Juice (i.e. my main goal was to have the Pea "butter" but the juice was really good as well). I have done this quite some times now and apart from what is already said in this thread I would say that the quality (e.g. sweetness) of the peas is of uttermost importance to get a good result.

My post: http://blog4foodies.com/2013/04/05/pea-butter/