• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Pressure-caramelized ketchup

Anonymous Modernist 11055

Tonight I made pressure caramellized ketchup and I have two problems with it.

I tastes really much like onion. Weight/volume measurements don't seem to work. It says 6 g or 1,5 tsp. 6 grams was like 2/3 tablespoon. I guess onion powders can differ. The taste is really spicy and oniony.

It was also too runny. I added some xantham gum and locust beam gum. Hopefully it won't become like jelly :)

• 2 months later...

I am having the exact opposite problem; every time I try to make the pressurized ketchup it turns into this nasty burnt mess. I have followed the recipe to a T, but something is not working with the timing with the pressure cooker. A wonderful caramelized smell comes out for the 1st 10 minutes or so in the pressure cooker and then it turns into this horrible burnt tomato smell. When I open the pressure cooker it is this rancid, acidic, burnt, tomato crisp / paste. Not sure what is happening here. This is the first recipe I have tried so far that hasn't been working out. Any ideas?

The batch I made on Sunday had no issues with burning at all. I used a Kuhn Rikon 7 Qt. pressure cooker on a electric stove. I also scaled the recipe to use a whole can, ~170 g of tomato paste. The heat setting never went above medium, and I stirred it until it started to bubble. I then added the lid, still on medium, and when it hit full pressure I turned it down to the lowest possible setting on my stove for 25 minutes, while still maintaining full pressure, 15 psi.

I agree that it is too much of an onion flavor for my tastes and will cut it down the next time I make it. I will also puree it in our blend to help break us the seasonings as I think it is a little grainy. The batch I made was runny when it was at room temperature, but thickened up to a nice consistency in the refrigerator. I also think that this recipe is better suited for the BBQ ketchup variation and will be going that route next time

P.S. Just pureed, the batch and It came very thick, must be the mustard, so I think that this is the way to go as the consistency is now the way I like it. On the downside, the onion flavor is now more pronounced.