• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Osso Buco Milanese

I decided to give the Osso Buco Milanese out of Volume 5 a shot. It turned out delicious in the end, but in retrospect I did have a few questions after making the dish: 1. Is the marrow from the braised veal foreshank to be used for the marrow custard, or is it better to use marrow from new bones? I used both, and it was delicious, but the instructions were not clear to me. It makes sense in my mind that you wouldn't want to use the marrow from the braised shank, but I didn't want to waste any... 2. For the Gremolata Crisp, the recipe specifies to leave rice "specks" in the batter, as well as coarsely ground black peppercorn. I was able to do this, although the ISI Whip manual specifies to strain everything before creaming to prevent particulates from occluding the exit port. Indeed, this did happen to me and I was only able to dispense the foam by repeatedly actuating the valve. Did I just leave the particles too coarse, or did I miss something else? Thanks!