• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Carbonated Fruit (2•469)

Anonymous Modernist 597

I do not have an iSi for carbonating, but I have CO2 tanks and fittings from brewing. What would be the target equilibrium volumes of carbonation that I should be looking for (solubility of CO2 is temperaturedependent, and so we talk about volumes in brewing) from the cranberries? If you can give me a good equilibrium temperature and pressure, that would work just as well. Thank you.

I'm sitting here in West Africa and would like to make this for Thanksgiving, however I would have to substitute for the fructose and isomalt. The recipe says it is okay to sub white sugar for the fructose, but doesn't say anything about isomalt. From what I am reading, isomalt is itself just a sugar substitute.

What would the consequence be of using sugar in place of both fructose and isomalt? Since isomalt is a low-calorie sweetener, should I use sweet and lo or something like that?

jfkriege said:

I do not have an iSi for carbonating, but I have CO2 tanks and fittings from brewing. What would be the target equilibrium volumes of carbonation that I should be looking for (solubility of CO2 is temperaturedependent, and so we talk about volumes in brewing) from the cranberries? If you can give me a good equilibrium temperature and pressure, that would work just as well. Thank you.

We don't exactly cover this in MC, but here's what it says in the carbonating fruit section (page 2·469):

"If using a siphon, use three carbon dioxide cartridges. For a soda keg, charge to at least 2-2.8 bar / 30-40 psi. Be sure to leave a vent open while filling so that the air inside is replaced by carbon dioxide."

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

Ryan Bowles said:

I'm sitting here in West Africa and would like to make this for Thanksgiving, however I would have to substitute for the fructose and isomalt. The recipe says it is okay to sub white sugar for the fructose, but doesn't say anything about isomalt. From what I am reading, isomalt is itself just a sugar substitute.

What would the consequence be of using sugar in place of both fructose and isomalt? Since isomalt is a low-calorie sweetener, should I use sweet and lo or something like that?

Ah, I just happened to catch this and quickly emailed your question to Max. He says to go ahead and use sugar for both.

Good luck! Let us know how using sugar works!

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...