• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popularize a Cocktail

Schielke

If you were suddenly bestowed the power to be God of Cocktails, what cocktail would you instantly popularize with the masses? In other words, is there a cocktail recipe that you absoloutely adore that you never see ordered in bars and wish was. I hope that was clear :biggrin:

Thanks for your time! I will mix myself something nice tonight in honor of this Q & A!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Hi Ben,

Sure…the Sazerac Cocktail, it is a great American treasure and no one can make it! It is a multi-layered sophisticated sipping cocktail that uses great American whiskey and another classic American product Peychauds Bitters and should be part of every young bartenders training just like Hollandaise sauce is part of every young chef’s training. On the heals of that would be the Ramos Fizz and fresh sour drinks.

SAZERAC

This drink is based on a bitters created by Antoine Amedee Peychaud, who made a cognac cocktail by mixing his bitters with cognac The most popular cognac for many years in New Orleans was Sazerac de Forge et Fils. In 1859 John Schiller officially christened the Sazerac Cocktail in his newly opened bar; the Sazerac Coffee House. When Schiller’s employee John H. Handy took over the bar, he altered the famous drink and used whiskey instead of cognac. I suspect that the growing popularity of whiskey was due in part to it being cheap and readily available. It was shipped by barge down the Mississippi until there was a glut of cheap whiskey in New Orleans. I have my own twist on the Sazerac, a mix of Cognac and Bourbon.

2 Dashes Peychauds Bitters

2 Dashes Angostura Bitters

1 oz. Rye Whiskey

1 oz. VS Cognac

Splash of Ricard or Herbsaint

½ oz. Simple Syrup

Take two rock glasses, chill one while preparing the drink in the other. Splash the Ricard into the second glass and swirl it, then pour it out. Add the cognac, rye, syrup, and the two kinds of bitters. Stir with ice cubes to chill. Strain into the chilled rocks glass and garnish with a lemon peel.

Dale