• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amuses bouches

macrosan

Amuses bouches have become de rigeur in most high end restaurants. Where they once were novel and interesting, I find they are often now jaded and irritating. Do chefs really enjoy preparing these items, and do you think they continue to serve an important part of the overall dining experience? Or, do you think the time has come for someone to "break ranks" and offer something different (perhaps a wine or aperitif or digestif) or just to stop offering such extras altogether?

From a business point of view, wine, aperitif or degestif costs much more than a canape. Also, if I offer it, that means I lose the sale.

I usually like a little "je ne sais quoi" in the restaurant before I order and in high end restaurants, I think it is a must. I guess I am luckier than you because I am rarely disappointed (or I have lower expectations).

For me, a canape is a tease and I do not expect a signature dish to be a canape. Rather something refreshing, amusing, intriguiging and inexpensive.

It is simply a tool to welcome you in a simple way; definitely not something to show off.