• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dendé Damage

Northeastern Brazil (especially the State of Bahia) is famous for its use of dendé -- palm oil. The smell is intoxicating, thick, and musty, and lends an amazing color to the dish. It'll bring you back to memories of a prior trip in a split second.

It's also available in the States (easy to find in New York City). How bad is the stuff for one's arteries? I stopped using it some years ago after getting a lot of flack...

Any good recent New England Journal of Medicine or American Medical Association studies on the health effects (positive or negative) of palm oil?

Good question. The other good question might actually be what's wrong with it. I am well aware that it's highly saturated, but now there's evidence that highly processed, hydrogenated and trans fats are the real enemy. The soy industry did a good job of convincing the American public that saturated vegetable fats--coconut and palm oils--were unhealthy. I'm not sure there have been independent medical studies that have supported this.

I recall when doctors warned patients with high cholesterol levels to avoid shrimp and lobster, but they seem to have back tracked on that.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...
:cool: I think palm and coconut oil are similar. For two good articles on coconut oil and health benefits try www.nexusmagazine.com then scroll down and on left col. under recent articles look for one on Benefits of Coconut Oil, I forgot exact title, by Mary G. Enig, PhD which appeared in Nexus Mag Vol 9, No. 2 & 3 (two part article) The articles are reprinted therein.

• 3 months later...

After writing a travel guide to Brazil and then staying two months in Bahia, I would suggest avoiding Dende unless necessary and then spare use. Not what I did.

Since (98) have had allergic reactions to both shrimp and lobster, though not from use (?) in fish cakes.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

The one I did was 97. Can you find it? Nao se nao, which is a double negative that means I don't know. Which means: I know. Very Brazilian, as the slogan on the flag. Today, after posting, I stopped into a book shop. The 2003 still used some of my work, from the little I saw. Alls I know is Fodor's sends me $50 for each copy of the guide sold eternally :biggrin: so please do, go, rush out, and buy one as soon as you possibly can. Two.

Do you only go to Rio? The Best thing to do there is find Liliana Couto at her agency Turismo Classico. Speaks perfect English and can get you anywhere you want to go. In the country, not just Rio.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais