• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boulogne/Calais area

Harters

• 3 months later...

In the end we went to Aquaraile, which has an absolutely cracking location on the second floor of an apartment block, overlooking the beach and the harbour entrance. There is an “a la carte” menu but we went for the 45 EU “Menu Gourmand”.

There was an amuse of a liver mousse which, in itself, was rather bland but it was served with a drizzle of a very intense consommé.

We both started with the “assiette de fruits de mer”. This brought each of us a plate of whelks, winkles, grey shrimps, three oysters, a couple of prawns and a langoustine. Served with bread, mayo and vinegary/oniony sauce.

My partner then had a fillet steak. Excellent béarnaise sauce and pretty good chips. I went for the tagine of monkfish. Perfectly cooked fish poached in fish stock. The stock had also cooked some rice, courgette and carrot which now formed almost a soup.

The cheese course offered an excellent selection and we asked the waiter to pick us some from the immediate area.

For dessert, I had a chocolate fondant but, instead of melted chocolate, the centre was a citrus sauce. Served with some slices of orange and ice cream, this was great. My partner had “Traditionnel Calais” – a coffee cake, with coffee icing and espresso ice cream. Another winner!

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley