• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crispy thin chocolate chip cookies

MONTHANNAH

Hello,

My husband keeps talking about the great thin crispy chocolate chip cookies that his grandmother used to bake...I have tried honestly more than 30 recipes and I can not find the right one..please help me find the crispiest chocolate chip cookies ...I have tried without brown sugar , more butter, more baking soda ...nop! I can get them crispy

I saved this on my favorites awhile ago - Haven't tried these yet, but they look very good and are supposed to be thin and crispy.

http://eatingetc.blogspot.com/2008/03/coco...nk-cookies.html

Here's another one to check out:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefi...cipe_id=1160557

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Is there anything special about those cookies that you want to replicate (besides thin and crisp)?

In general, thin and crisp cookies are the easiest to make ... people trying to make other kinds often end up with them by accident.

Any recipe that uses 100% butter (preferably lots of it) and that's formed into balls and baked when the dough is warm should give you thin and crisp cookie.

Other things to look for or to tweak:

-not a lot of leavening, or maybe even none

-made with melted butter instead of creamed butter / sugar

-if made with creamed butter/sugar, go ahead and overcream it (until it acutally feels smooth to the touch)

-try a slightly lower oven temperature / longer baking time (325)

-use a high quality, low moisture butter (will make the cookies especially delicious, too)

Notes from the underbelly

Last night my sister's assignment for school was to make a recipe for a food she knew, but with a recipe you don't usually use. We're a Toll House family and so tried the Joy of Cooking last night. They were great, thin CCC's with a great caramelized taste to them.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I agree with paulraphael. It's probably not your recipe so much as it is your technique. His pointers are excellent. Make sure you're not refrigerating your dough before baking. "Mash" the balls down so they're somewhat flattened--that will help them heat through more quickly so the butter melts and spreads. You could also bake on dark cookie sheets that will absorb rather than reflect heat.

Jenni

Pastry Methods and Techniques

Pastry Chef Online

"We're all home cooks when we're cooking at home."