• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Choking it down

ulterior epicure

I think it's great chefs are sticking up for certain traditions. I personally can't stand it when customers make silly requests, act rudely, and don't want to eat what's offered (this goes for any kind of restaurant, not just sushi). Chefs don't train for their whole lives so that customers treat can them like servants.

I think it's great chefs are sticking up for certain traditions.  I personally can't stand it when customers make silly requests, act rudely, and don't want to eat what's offered (this goes for any kind of restaurant, not just sushi).  Chefs don't train for their whole lives so that customers treat can them like servants.

While I can't say that I completely agree with the the WSJ's vantage, I will say that I am one who is always adventurous and willing to "obey" my sushi chef, as it were.

However, on the flip side, I don't work my little tush off to earn a good buck so that I can pay a chef to tell me what to eat either.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I think it's great chefs are sticking up for certain traditions.  I personally can't stand it when customers make silly requests, act rudely, and don't want to eat what's offered (this goes for any kind of restaurant, not just sushi).  Chefs don't train for their whole lives so that customers treat can them like servants.

While I can't say that I completely agree with the the WSJ's vantage, I will say that I am one who is always adventurous and willing to "obey" my sushi chef, as it were.

However, on the flip side, I don't work my little tush off to earn a good buck so that I can pay a chef to tell me what to eat either.

I think the idea of the sushi chef (or any chef) as the one with all the control just doesn't translate well in the US. In the US (and most Western countries), the idea that if you're paying, you get to do what you want is not so far fetched. In Japan, however, few people would care about such matters. In fact, I would venture to say that a customer who dictated what s/he would or would not eat would, at a *high-end* sushi bar, be considered "wagamama" and being "wagamama" seems to be one of the worst offenses on can commit.

(At regular sushi bars, where most people eat, you can order whatever you want in Japan--within reason--but at high-end sushi bars, you usually put your trust in the chef. And to be clear, I'm not saying you can't get excellent sushi at a regular sushi bar.)

(At regular sushi bars, where most people eat, you can order whatever you want in Japan--within reason--but at high-end sushi bars, you usually put your trust in the chef.  And to be clear, I'm not saying you can't get excellent sushi at a regular sushi bar.)

Right, at high-end sushiyas, I inevitably tell the master, "Omakase" (i.e. put my "trust in the chef"). I have never been disappointed.

Of course, you're right, in the U.S., diners have much more say and options at a sushiya, both high-end and low-end, than abroad. I think that goes for all types of restaurants, actually.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I think in our "your way, right away" culture, this is rather refreshing.

But then, a friend and I were joking about opening up a restaurant and calling it "Our Way" and having sort of a western omakase thing going, so perhaps I'm biased.

I think in our "your way, right away" culture, this is rather refreshing. 

But then, a friend and I were joking about opening up a restaurant and calling it "Our Way" and having sort of a western omakase thing going, so perhaps I'm biased.

:laugh:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Not all good sushi chefs in Japan are into power-play, though they should and do offer advice.

There are certain chefs who have a reputation for this stuff, and while they have their fans, they have their detractors too.

However, I totally agree with the anti-tuna roll movement! If you pick up a tray of this stuff in the supermarket and check the ingredients....gelatin?? suet and tallow??? Why don't they just call it catfood sashimi?

customers who order omakase are paying to eat exactly what they asked for -- omakase.

I think your reply neatly covers both sides of the issue. For those who are adventurous and willing, there are (possibly) interesting and exciting results when ordering omakase. And those who aren't can go to an a la carte restaurant, where they'll get great sushi too.

diners who ask a chef for whatever he/she would like to serve, and then say "that's not what I wanted!" are just one example of the broader attitude created by "the customer is always right". I rather think it's a power play on the part of the _diner_.

Before we get too carried away, I'm not arguing with anyone here.

I pay to eat omakase and I do. However, for those who are not willing, I can respect and completely understand the a la carte format.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

oh, I know.  I wasn't saying that you're one of those diners.  (I tried to convey that with the "both sides of the issue" comment, but reading back I admit it's unclear)

Oh. Okay. Then group hug?

:wub:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account