• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Universal Knife Block

Peter the eater

From Lee Valley, this looks like a unique product for storing your knives in a traditional wooden block without slots. Click.

I don't have or need one -- but I'd like to know what the knife people think.

You know who you are . . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

i may not be one of "the knife people", but, have it, love it. (bought it at bed, bath and beyond). any knife, anywhere you want to put it. no accidental forcing (and therefore dulling) by trying to slide the wrong knife into the wrong slot. i can fit several more knives into this block than i can in the ones with predetermined knife placement slots.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

i may not be one of "the knife people", but, have it, love it. (bought it at bed, bath and beyond). any knife, anywhere you want to put it. no accidental forcing (and therefore dulling) by trying to slide the wrong knife into the wrong slot. i can fit several more knives into this block than i can in the ones with predetermined knife placement slots.

Thanks for the response, I wondered about forcing a knife into the block -- if it was loaded, if an edge would suffer. Could you fill it and empty it several times a day, all week and still have the block perform well?

Moe Sizlack

As I said here, I wasn't satisfied with it.

My comments:

Unfortunately, the lower section is only about 4 inches deep, so it was virtually useless to me. I have one knife that could fit there. And although the back section was the depth of the whole unit, I still couldn't fit my slicer (10") or bread knife (9.5") in it. Plus, I don't know how the reviewer possibly fit 15 knives in the smaller unit. I managed to fit three 8" chef's knives, two utility (6" blades), my 6" chef's. I could possibly have fit one or two more small knives, but that would have been the capacity.

It seemed like a great idea but didn't work at all for me.

Yeah, I get the LV catalouges regularily, and it SEEMS like a good idea. Mind you I never had, and never will use a knife block.

Many people I know do have one, and I can gross them out pretty good by rubbing a Q-tip down in one of the knife slots and showing them the results. I like the idea of the plastic rods though, and they SEEM to be D/W safe. I've also known other people to get a plastic or wood cannister and stuff it full of bamboo skewers to use as a knife block (a.k.a as Satay sticks) which does a fairly decent job as well, although you have to throw out the sticks when they get dirty.....

For me, the most practical, hygenic, and safe method to store knives is a magnetic strip on the wall: Always clean, always visible, no guessing at handle butts, always ready to grab. You can get cheap magnetic strips at dollar stores, a little better at Ikea, and even better by the "Big boys" like Henckel and Wusthof, and even LV sells some nice magnetic strips as well.

Many people I know do have one, and I can gross them out pretty good by rubbing a Q-tip down in one of the knife slots and showing them the results.  I like the idea of the plastic rods though, and they SEEM to be D/W safe.  I've also known other people to get a plastic or wood cannister and stuff it full of bamboo skewers to use as a knife block (a.k.a as Satay sticks) which does a fairly decent job  as well, although you have to throw out the sticks when they get dirty.....

For me, the most practical, hygenic, and safe method to store knives is a magnetic strip on the wall: Always clean, always visible, no guessing at handle butts,  always ready to grab. 

Agreed about the unhygenic blocks. And blocks take up counter space! I bet they got the idea from the bamboo skewers in the cannister method (pretty smart, that).

Again, agreed about the magnetic strips. My question is, which way do you store the knives, business end down or up? I always see them stored pointing up, but I find it easier to grab the handle if the point is down. Maybe that's just because of where the strip is located in my kitchen. I always, always wear hard-topped shoes in the kitchen (since my husband had the unfortunate incident which involved several stitches), but I have never accidentally knocked a knife off the strip, and if I did, I don't think it would fall straight down, anyway. I think I'd be more likely to knock one off if I were trying to grab the handle from below the strip.

Just askin' outta curiosity.

Edited by Special K (log)

can i ask a question? i'm truly confused about the unhygenic thing---who puts dirty knives back in their blocks? i mean, i see that there can be unseen (whatever) that could somehow get down inside the slots of a traditional knife block, but unless you are putting gore and gristle-slimed knives into the block...what am i missing? (i'm completely serious, btw...i'm fairly confident there IS something i haven't thought about...)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I have a few comments.... :biggrin:

First, I would never buy that block with the sticks.

Second, regarding magnetic racks and which way to put the knife on them, I store my knives point up and here's why. Have you ever gone to reach for something on the counter bringing your hand up then accidentally hitting the edge of the counter? Or gone to reach for anything for that matter and misjudged your surroundings and hit your hand on the door handle, drawer knob or something first? With that in mind can you imagine misjudging how far away you are from your knife rack and you bring your hand up to grap the handle and you're too close to it and slice your hand? No way can that happen if your blades are stored handle down.

Third, I'm with you on that Chezcherie. I have half my knives in a block and have never had an issue with grimey slots. If you wash and dry your knives well, there will never be a problem. The only issue I can see is if your area is particularly dusty or your house is prone to getting those dust bunnies or if you fry a lot of foods without proper ventilation which would allow airborne particles to settle on your block and accumulate over time. But even so, that would also apply to silverware drawers, appliances that get grimey, counters that get sedement of various types but when that happens you clean them. There should be no difference with anything else around the kitchen your knife block included. Don't say knife blocks are bad or unhygenic because dirt/oil/grime settles on them. Clean it like you would everything else around the kitchen.

Fourth, like anything that needs storage even magnetic strips could cause problems if you don't have a lot of wall space. But if you do I think they are superior to blocks in that they don't take up valuable counter space if that's a concern too. But keep in mind that a block can store more knives in it's given space than a rack can. Some complain that magnetic racks magnetize your knives too. In a word...so what (okay two words). Your onion is not going to fly across the room and stick to your blade. The knife's quality (or lack thereof) will not be affected by slight magnetic energy and does not stay magnetized for long upon removal. Another issue people have is that the metal on the racks scratch the knives. Can't do anything about that except be very careful putting them on and taking them off.

IMHO, the best magnetic rack that has no metal touching your blade and is strong enough to hold the biggest and heaviest of knives is called the Mag-Blok. They are a solid piece of wood that's had rare earth magnets inserted. They also have beautiful one-of-a-kind racks too. Check them out. I have one for use with my high-end Japanese knives.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

IMHO, the best magnetic rack that has no metal touching your blade and is strong enough to hold the biggest and heaviest of knives is called the Mag-Blok.  They are a solid piece of wood that's had rare earth magnets inserted.  They also have beautiful one-of-a-kind racks too.  Check them out.  I have one for use with my high-end Japanese knives.

Octaveman, I saw the Mag-Blok and wondered if it will become very popular -- seems like a sound design. And now I know it's got your approval . . . maybe its time to go Christmas shopping.

BTW in the unlikely event anyone missed it, eG Society knife expert and author Chad Ward (aka Chad) has a great review of knife storage systems in his book.

Don't be a blockhead!

Moe Sizlack

It's very popular among people who become aware of them. Unfortunately though, popularity is still dictated by expsoure to the masses and is quite relative. Within those that do business with distributors of them it's extremely popular. It's a fantastic product and if I had any money, I'd buy one or two more in custom woods. Send them en email and ask when the next batch of one-of-a-kind's will be put up on the website.

Some complain that magnetic racks magnetize your knives too.  In a word...so what (okay two words).  Your onion is not going to fly across the room and stick to your blade.  The knife's quality (or lack thereof) will not be affected by slight magnetic energy and does not stay magnetized for long upon removal. 

Define "long" -- I haven't had my knifes on a magnet for almost two years, and they're still magnetized. Doesn't seem to affect them, though.

Actually Janet, I'm not entirely sure because of multiple variables that come into play. Factors such as, magnet strength, type of magnet, blade material and whether the blade touches the magnet or other metal from the rack all come into play. How much time they spend on the rack is also a factor. Of the knives I have the only time they seemed to be affected was with an older Wusthoff rack I used to use. The blades came into contact with metal bars that were attached to the magnet. The knives that are currently on my Mag-Blok don't show any magnetism to them. Maybe there is some but it's so slight I can't tell.

Still, as you said, the blades are not affected by it and certainly doesn't affect performance.

can i ask a question? i'm truly confused about the unhygenic thing---who puts dirty knives back in their blocks? i mean, i see that there can be unseen (whatever) that could somehow get down inside the slots of a traditional knife block, but unless you are putting gore and gristle-slimed knives into the block...what am i missing? (i'm completely serious, btw...i'm fairly confident there IS something i haven't thought about...)

I agree about the dirt in the slots: My wood block, used for about fifteen years, has NO FOOD RESIDUE in the slots. There is a little dust in the unused slots, but I always clean my knives before they go back in the block. Thus, I cannot get grossed-out, because there's nothing there to react to.

Ray

Some complain that magnetic racks magnetize your knives too.  In a word...so what (okay two words).  Your onion is not going to fly across the room and stick to your blade.  The knife's quality (or lack thereof) will not be affected by slight magnetic energy and does not stay magnetized for long upon removal. 

Define "long" -- I haven't had my knifes on a magnet for almost two years, and they're still magnetized. Doesn't seem to affect them, though.

I've never considered the impact, if any, a magnetized knife might have in the kitchen. Could be worthy of a new topic.

Moe Sizlack

I store my knives point up and here's why. . . can you imagine misjudging how far away you are from your knife rack and you bring your hand up to grap the handle and you're too close to it and slice your hand?  No way can that happen if your blades are stored handle down. 

Thanks, Bob. That makes sense. My magnetic strip is on a wall at an angle to the microwave, at the same height as the handle on the door (the only wall space available). Because of that, I'd be more likely to accidentally slice my hand reaching for the microwave door if I stored my knives points up. So that's why I feel more comfortable with the points down . . . I thought it was probably due to where the strip is.

As for the knife block getting dirty, I think the real culprit is the ambient grease in all kitchens. You can wipe down the block all you want, but some of that grease is going to get into those slots no matter how neat you are.

But in fact the real reason I got the magnetic strip is that the block my knives came with (they're the Henkels Twin Telects with the stainless steel handles - I like 'em but my husband hates 'em) - well, that block was just too tippy!

Off the top of my head, the only issue I can think of with magnetized knives is that when you sharpen, steel dust could stick to the blades and be very hard to get off (especially without scratching up the finish).

It should be possible for the mag block guys to make ones that don't magnetize knives. Forschner makes cool edge guards that clamp over the blade with magnets. They claim that because their magnets alternate polarity at close intervals, they won't magnetize the blades. Assuming this isn't bogus marketing, the blocks could be made to work the same way.

Notes from the underbelly

Off the top of my head, the only issue I can think of with magnetized knives is that when you sharpen, steel dust could stick to the blades and be very hard to get off (especially without scratching up the finish).

It should be possible for the mag block guys to make ones that don't magnetize knives. Forschner makes cool edge guards that clamp over the blade with magnets. They claim that because their magnets alternate polarity at close intervals, they won't magnetize the blades. Assuming this isn't bogus marketing, the blocks could be made to work the same way.

It IS bogus advertising; and, if one was fortunate enough to have a good high school physics teacher, it will be remembered that every time one snapped the knife onto the mag strip (tough NOT to do) the mag properties would be intensified. I remember magnetizing a piece of steel simply by aligning the bar with the north pole, and striking with a hammer. The mag strip is several thousand times more powerful at its short distance. No mag strips for me.

Ray

After using a steel, or after using any device that actually removes metal, the knife should be wiped clean. Of course, this isn't depicted on TV, but it is one of the rules of hygiene in the kitchen.

Every time you use a steel to "pull back" or re-align the edge, micron sized bits of steel fatique and drop off. This is the "black crud" that you see if you DON'T wipe your knife clean after using a steel. Kinda like washing your hands after using the bathroom. You do it automatically without thinking....

I must protest. Using a magnetic strip does not magnetize my knives. I have an el-cheapo magnetic strip (courtesty of Sweden, ahh....make that Ikea) that holds about 6 knives, cake spatulas and offset spatulas at work. I've been using the same strip and knives/impliments for well over 10 years now. The knives and spatuals aren't magnetic, or at least when I remove them and place a cheap tart pan on the knife, it doesn't stick, nor do the knives stick to each other. I'm a cook by profession, not a scientist or engineer, but the same knives that I've used for over 10 years now are not magnetic.

Common ense in the kitchen prevails. Wipe your knives clean before sticking them on the magnetic strip, and give the magnetic strip a wipe every now and then too. It's a heck of a lot easier than sanitizing a knife block or emptying out a drawer and cleaning it out.

To remove a knife from the strip, grab the handle and twist the knife on to it's spine, then yank off. Since the spine has far less surface area than the flat of the blade, it is much easier to remove a knive this way. Also, this way the edge never actually touches the magnetic strip.

For the record, I always store my knives with the butts facing down. My preferance. I've always had to re-point employees and collegue's knives when the tips got broken off or took a nose dive on the floor.

I must protest.  Using a magnetic strip does not magnetize my knives.  I have an el-cheapo magnetic strip (courtesty of Sweden, ahh....make that Ikea) that holds about 6 knives, cake spatulas and offset spatulas at work.  I've been using the same strip and knives/impliments for well over 10 years now.  The knives and spatuals aren't magnetic, or at least when I remove them and place a cheap tart pan on the knife, it doesn't stick, nor do the knives stick to each other.  I'm a cook by profession, not a scientist or engineer, but the same knives that I've used for over 10 years now are not magnetic. 

I'm not saying that pans stick to my knives, or that the knives stick to each other. But two years after I stopped using a block, if I have my two chef's knives (a Messermeister and a Wusthof) on the counter next to each other, the blades swing together. So they're definitely, if lightly, magnetized.

I'm not saying that pans stick to my knives, or that the knives stick to each other. But two years after I stopped using a block, if I have my two chef's knives (a Messermeister and a Wusthof) on the counter next to each other, the blades swing together. So they're definitely, if lightly, magnetized.

I've witnessed this, several times. The effect is undeniable.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I tried it again last night.

I must apologize, my knives are very slightly magnetized.

A 10 gram barquet form will NOT stick to the knife. A 1 gram (or maybe more or less depending on how accurate my scale is...) cheapo key ring WILL stick to the knife --that is to say if I hold the knife up and let the ring dangle, it will stick on unless I shake the knife.

The knives I've tried this experiment on are an ancient Henkels Zwilling 10" Chefs' ( now closer to 81/2" and much narrower) and a 8" Victorinox that's only about 10 years old. The magnetic strips I use are never super stong, never rare-earth, and have just enough "ooomph" to keep the knife from sliding around.

I never cared one way or the other about magnetic strips until one day about 14 years ago, while working in a boutique hotel in Singapore. The local health inspector came by and looked high and low for something to write me up on. He couldn't, and from the corner of his eye he saw me smirking, so he then focused on ME. A series of knives were stored between the joint of where of two s/s prep tables met. With a triumphant cry he siezed one of the knives and proceeded to lecture me about the hazards of storing a knife this way. He eagerly pried apart the two tables to find some more dirt but was unsuccssful. As best as I could I asked him what he suggested to store the knives in, He insisted on magnetic strips and stated he would be back next week to make sure I complied.

I did. And ever since then I've always used magnetic strips