• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Cook's Tour

LoveToEatATL

Just a funny little story. This past winter I was driving to work in Venice and could have sworn I saw Anthony Bourdain in a red mustang convertible onto Abbot Kinney. I thought this seemed weird because he seems like the kind of guy that would hate L.A.

Lo and behold, last night we were watching "A Cook's Tour", and there's Anthony Bourdain - in L.A. - driving a red convertible mustang!!

Crazy. This town is nuts.

I gotta get back east.

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Just a funny little story.  This past winter I was driving to work in Venice and  could have sworn I saw Anthony Bourdain in a red mustang convertible onto Abbot Kinney.  I thought this seemed weird because he seems like the kind of guy that would hate L.A.

Lo and behold, last night we were watching "A Cook's Tour", and there's Anthony Bourdain - in L.A. - driving a red convertible mustang!!

Crazy.  This town is nuts.

I gotta get back east.

A Cook's Tour was filimed years ago, so if you saw "him" just this past winter, it wasn't Anthony Bourdain.

Just a funny little story.  This past winter I was driving to work in Venice and  could have sworn I saw Anthony Bourdain in a red mustang convertible onto Abbot Kinney.  I thought this seemed weird because he seems like the kind of guy that would hate L.A.

I gotta get back east.

A Cook's Tour was filimed years ago, so if you saw "him" just this past winter, it wasn't Anthony Bourdain.

Well, I saw him, so that makes it even weirder!! A ghost perhaps? Tony - are you out there? What say you?

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

I gotta get back east.

Perhaps it was his evil twin. Oh wait, maybe Toony is the evil twin!

Perhaps it was his evil twin. Oh wait, maybe Toony is the evil twin!

6/25 was Tony's 52nd birthday - he most likely was in New York, celebrating. Besides, he walked past my hubby (who was parking his car) at 44th & 8th in NYC on 6/27, and there was no doubt then that was Tony. (We figure if he was on 44th & 8th at 6p, hweading westbound, then he was probably looking for a really good dive bar (!))

So I watched the French Laundry episode and it was amazing how de rigeur alot of aspects of that meal have become in the 7 years since it aired. Many of the things they were in awe over are everywhere now . . . salmon "chops", witty reimaginings of traditional dishes or sentimental favorites (coffe and donuts). There was one point where they were all crowding around to look at the artisan salts the waiter brought out to them. Now our local gourmet chain here in Dallas has its own salt bar!

So I watched the French Laundry episode and it was amazing how de rigeur alot of aspects of that meal have become in the 7 years since it aired. Many of the things they were in awe over are everywhere now . . . salmon "chops", witty reimaginings of traditional dishes or sentimental favorites (coffe and donuts).  There was one point where they were all crowding around to look at the artisan salts the waiter brought out to them.  Now our local gourmet chain here in Dallas has its own salt bar!

Hmmm.. I have it tivo's but not watched it since it aired so many years ago.

Ok, I'm curious, anyone think Thomas Keller is the Nouveau Escoffier? Has he completely re-standardized modern day cooking?

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Hmmm.. I have it tivo's but not watched it since it aired so many years ago.

Ok, I'm curious, anyone think Thomas Keller is the Nouveau Escoffier? Has he completely re-standardized modern day cooking?

It's him or Adria. If you look at where cooking is today, Keller's prints are all over it. He's the bridge between traditional and then the molecular gastronomy movement. Plus you look at the roster of chefs working his kitchen back in that time and a number of them have gone on to be leading edge chefs in their own right today.

ETA: I don't know if he has codified things the way Escoffier did and he'd be the first to say he's not doing anything "new" or "creative" . . . but he has definitely shaped the way food and cooking is today in restaurants and America like no other this decade.

Edited by Kevin72 (log)