• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secrets of a Restaurant Chef

KensethFan

I just saw an advertisement on the Food Network for a new show called "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" with Anne Burrell as the host/chef. Most of you will know Anne from her appearances as Mario Batali's sous chef on Iron Chef (apparently in 23 episodes).

Anyway, the way the show is set up is that Anne teaches the home cook techniques and tips on cooking restaurant food as she says "without the crazy ingredients and so they are less intimidating for the home cook." I looked on the FN website and saw that the first five shows are:

1. Bolognese

2. Roasted Leg of Lamb

3. Roasted Chicken

4. Seared Bass

5. Grilled Porkchops

She has the cooking chops to teach and share. She is very qualified. It might be interesting to see how it goes. I just hope its a "real cooking show" and not the typical watered down FN garbage. Guess we'll see.

What do you think?

--- KensethFan

Nice. I'm in desperate need of some decent cooking shows.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Hi,

They should have a show on cheap aluminum skillets. They could demonstrate carbonizing, bending and flattening techniques.

Another show could demonstrate using the salamander to separate your "reduction sauce" and burn your waiter's fingers.

Then there has to be a show on those wonderful restuarant kitchen practical jokes.

Tim

She has the cooking chops to teach and share.  She is very qualified.  It might be interesting to see how it goes.  I just hope its a "real cooking show" and not the typical watered down FN garbage.  Guess we'll see.

What do you think?

I think I'd like to know when this show is scheduled to air...day/time :smile:

I guess FN's "identity crisis" is yielding some good stuff: Iron Chef America's really come into its own, Jamie Oliver's cooking on Saturdays is the best cooking show I've come across in years.

This show sounds very promising. But, ah, if they're willing to give Mario Batali's sous chef a turn at a cooking show, why not give a show back to the man himself again?

She has the cooking chops to teach and share.  She is very qualified.  It might be interesting to see how it goes.  I just hope its a "real cooking show" and not the typical watered down FN garbage.  Guess we'll see.

What do you think?

I think I'd like to know when this show is scheduled to air...day/time :smile:

1. Bolognese (June 29)

2. Roasted Leg of Lamb (July 6)

3. Roasted Chicken (July 13)

4. Seared Bass (July 20)

5. Grilled Porkchops (July 27)

All at 9:30am EST. Not sure if that's a good slot or not. We'll have to see, I suppose. Glad I have DVR!!!!

--- KensethFan

This show sounds very promising. But, ah, if they're willing to give Mario Batali's sous chef a turn at a cooking show, why not give a show back to the man himself again?

Perhaps the sous chef is willing to give up percentages of royalties of her future books, videos, etc. and Mario wasn't.

From the New York Times:

While the Food Network has been good at creating stars like Mr. Lagasse, Rachael Ray and Paula Deen and giving national exposure to chefs like Bobby Flay and Mario Batali, until recently it has not shared in their success beyond the network. A spokeswoman for the network said it had no stake in Mr. Lagasse’s considerable outside merchandising, for example.

About a year ago, the Food Network began aggressively trying to change that with new deals that were “way more onerous” from the stars’ point of view, said a person who has been affected by the changing strategy, by insisting on a stake in book deals and licensing ventures, and control over outside activities.

I guess FN's "identity crisis" is yielding some good stuff: Iron Chef America's really come into its own, Jamie Oliver's cooking on Saturdays is the best cooking show I've come across in years. 

Annie costs less.............bottom line

Edited by CFO999 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the first episode.... this might be a love/hate for some people. She has a strong personality, putting lots of growly noises in her emphasized words. Almost sounds like Grover. :raz:

That said, so far, I like it. Dunno if she is writing her own material (I hope so), but she is full of quotable goodies. See the new .sig for prime example!

Also:

"We have achieved crud-dom!" - on properly browned meat :wub:

"It might seem a little bit excessive..."

"You know what it's missing? Salt!"

et cetera. It is obvious she's spent a bit of time with Batali. Not afraid of big flavor, big oil, and emphasis on technique over high-falutin' ingredients.

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Will she wear an apron on the FN? Almost no-one else does. What's that?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I just watched the first one. Yes, her hand movements are over the top, but it could be "first show adrenaline.'

I liked her. She was very real. She actually said "crud" and "crap," which I think could get contestants on the Next Food Network Star booted. I'd love to invite her to a party.

And her grilled asparagus salad with poached egg looked divine. Must make that.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

I liked the fact that she actually made something that doesn't take 30 minutes or less to make (and the fact that it looked good helped, too). However, the occasional near-Turrett's performance throughout the episode made it kind of hard to watch at times. I mean, I know that it's a totally different Mario when he's not on FoodTV.

I'll watch again with the hopes that her delivery will improve.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

:wub::wub:

Hands down, I LOVED her!! I love that she is quirky, it seemed genuine and not contrived which is an refreshing change from every other cooking show that seems to have to have the women & men making sexual sounds and innuendo for every bite.

My favorite quote: "brown the crap out of it!" regarding getting the great depth of flavor out of the veggies. ROFLMAO! Indeed, lets all brown the *crap* out of everything!!

And the WHOPPING handfuls of salt. Lets tell it like it is folks, most people cringe at the sight of properly seasoned food, whether it is salt, pepper or other spices. They love the flavor, its just hard to watch. :blink:

I hope FN keeps her!

eta: And I picked up the ingredients for bolognese her way yesterday. I can't tell you the last time an FN show actually inspired me to cook!

Edited by Genny (log)

She's definitely of a different breed than the FTV stars lately. Some rough delivery but I think she'll calm down nicely and get used to things. I'll keep watching.

I was about to get all uptight about the deviations from traditional Ragu Bolognese, but then decided it's been so long since FTV had someone on talking about taking the time to caramelize and build flavor and to even take the full four hours to make a sauce . . .

i hope she settles in, because i would love to watch and enjoy something (besides jamie) on Food Network again. i tivoed this one, and i swear, when i rolled it back to listen to something again, it looked like she was trying to fly, her arms were waving around so much...i enjoyed her "realness", but the flailing has got to go.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Total speculation but I suspect that's all been "coached" by an FTV handler. They've dissected Rachel Ray's tics and secrets and mold their other stars after her. But I think and hope it will eventually become more natural for her.

i hope she settles in, because i would love to watch and enjoy something (besides jamie) on Food Network again. i tivoed this one, and i swear, when i rolled it back to listen to something again, it looked like she was trying to fly, her arms were waving around so much...i enjoyed her "realness", but the flailing has got to go.

I can't wait to watch this. It's on dvr. I always enjoyed seeing her work with Mario on ICA and like others have said, it's nice to have another expert chef to supplement the excellent Jamie Oliver show.

I hope Anne has great success with this program.

I just watched the leg of lamb episode, and I think it was pretty good. She definitely

imparts a great deal of info, while trying to establish her own brand (ex. earl for oil).

When Anne was tying up the leg of lamb with string, she actually said "go downtown", and I

almost spit my coffee across the room!

She does flail around alot, but that's Anne. Her restaurant is in my neighborhood,

and I've eaten there a lot. We have friends in common, so when I see Anne, we alway

chat a bit. She really does that kind of mini-dance when given compliments on her food!

She's such an integral part of Chef Batali's team on Iron Chef America, so I think it was a natural

for FN to give her a platform of her own.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I missed the first show but caught and thoroughly enjoyed the second...

The leg of lamb episode...

If they'd give her the hour that she so blatantly deserves she could slow it down a bit and bring the whole thing

into a rare & special focus...

Her skills, comfort, personality, food passion, experience, teaching, & humor are just what the doctor ordered...

Other than when I simply look down, I can't remember when I've seen such sweet confident knifework...

Since I started listening for it, I've always had an aversion to all the TV cooks who add 'a little bit' of salt, or of this or that...

"a little bit", "a little bit"----- drives me crazy...

I laughed outloud when she applied "big salt" to the lamb!

But she needs a full hour to slow the pace...

She is cool---- and cool shouldn't be rushed...

That tweak, and I think we'll have a classic on our hands...

Smack that lamb-roast!

---- and thanks for informatively tieing it up properly, not in 7 individually tied loops like Thumbs Lagasse do it...

Edited by Mild Bill (log)

I love this show! It's great to have a new Food Network show by someone who is actually an expert cook. I don't mind her arm-flailing -- she's just enthusiastic. I hope FN doesn't try to "tone her down" to look like the other personalities on FN. Just let her be herself. She's great.

ha, smacking that lamb cracked me up. Mild Bill, i think you may be right about the concept being better suited to an hour - she could impart so much more detail on what, how and why, if she didn't have to rush. But, I'd settle for a better time slot - this is pretty bad, why premiere new shows at such a horrible time?

damn, she made that leg of lamb look easy, i have to say...

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

I want to like this show and in episode 2 I thought the tics were less noticeable (or annoying), but:

She gave no idea how long to cook this lamb. She said put it in the oven for 20 minutes at 425. OK, then what? Did she flip it after 20 minutes or was the total cooking time 20 minutes? She never said.

She never gave any idea how to bake the crisp as to time and temp

The only restaurant "secret" I guess I got out of this episode was not to throw out the lamb bones.

This show seems less about cooking than attitude.