• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats - Inexpensive Restaurants

Dave Hatfield

Given the strength of the Euro vis-a-vis the dollar and the pound It seems an appropriate time to share knowledge as to where to eat well, but cheaply in France.

The country abounds with good decent restaurants where a solid four course lunch can be had for less than 20 Euros out in the countryside and for 32 Euros or lees in Paris. The other big cities fall in between. Many of these restaurants, in fact most in the countryside, only serve lunch. The 'menu' will be limited, but many cases 1/4 liter of wine will be included.

An example: Monday I had lunch in Caylus at Au Bon Cote des Choses. They have simple, but nice decor (a lovely outdoor terrace as well) with friendly efficient service. We had the set 12 Euro menu. Vegetable soup followed by a rice salad with tomatoes, olives and a nice sharp dressing followed by a faux-filet (looked like 6-8 oz) with pommes sauté and an éclaire with chocolate sauce. Bread & our wine were included.

Very typical of what you will be served. Not haute cuisine, but good.

So, the map. I've started it off with a few entries, but its going to be up to everyone to contribute. All that's wanted are short descriptions (Name, location, price wine or not, quick opinion.) and I'll add your posts to the map.

I expect lots of Paris entries in the neighborhoods. There I need a street address with number if possible.

Should be fun. Have at it.

Here's the link to the map.

What a brilliant idea. Couple that with a 3G iPhone and we can throw away the restaurant guides. Heaven. I will try and do my bit next time I am in France - many thanks to Dave.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I've updated & added, but without lots of help this will be a very lopsided map as most of the places I know are reasonably close to home.

I'm way out of touch with Paris so....

HELP! HELP! HELP!!