• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

The list is growing so long, just in 2002. In some instances, transformations, in others, just bad news.

Avenue One

Ezo Noodle Cafe

Fira

Gypsy (now?)

Il Gambero (now a Jai Thai)

Kismet (now a German Pub)

La Tienda Cadiz

Les Tamales (soon to be Ovio)

Lucy's Taqueria - downtown

Lush Life (transforming to ?)

Marcha - at 1st & Union (consolidated in the Fernado's space at 6th and Wall)

96 Union

Painted Table (to be ?)

Poor Italian Cafe (if I'm not mistaken)

Ragin Cajun (now Cafe Mimosa)

List isn't so long - I must be missing many. And fresh openings?

I didn't know Kismet was gone! We haven't been there in a while, but I have very fond memories because for a while Matthew performed stand-up comedy there every Sunday. They had a wonderful root beer in a fancy bottle that I loved.

I've adjusted to the absence of La Tienda Cadiz so it's not such a shock. When a friend first told me, I was sure she must be confused and thinking of somewhere else.

One addition: the very much lamented Bistro Antalya, on Broadway. I feel sad every time I walk by the generic gyros stand now inhabiting the space.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Is Marcha really closed? I have walked by several times and seen people eating inside . . .

I heard that someone from Cactus is the chef at Gitano (Spanish for Gypsy) in the old Gypsy space.

Hopscotch is now Jake's bar and grill.

And I thought the Painted Table was just loosening up a little. Last I heard it was going to be something like: The Painted Table: An American Bistro.

The Painted Table is being revamped, re-chefed, and renamed Library Bistro.

While I love libraries, I think Painted Table is a much more memorable and easier to pronounce name for a restaurant.

So now the Alexis is going to have the Bookstore Cafe AND the Library Bistro? This seems a little heavy on the literary allusions.

I'm with you Laurie, what I always thought was one of the better restaurant names around, the Library Bistro seems pretty pedestrian. If I were to start a restaurant I would definately avoid using bistro, grill or cafe in the name...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Fira

Lush Life (transforming to ?)

Marcha - at 1st & Union (consolidated in the Fernado's space at 6th and Wall)

Poor Italian Cafe (if I'm not mistaken)

Didn't Fira replace Buongusto just a little earlier this year? Ouch!

Nancy Lesson's latest column says Lush Life will be replaced by "an eclectic bar and bistro called Marjorie." When applied to a restaurant, the term eclectic always makes me nervous.

I was going to go to the combined Marcha/Fernando's recently, but the menu looked really uninteresting compared to what I'd seen at Marcha, so I ended up at Dahlia. The location is kind of bizzare too.

I was under the impression that the Poor Italian had been defunct for at least a year? I used to really love that place. I think it was one of the first in town to do high quality but casual Italian. Best calzone I've ever had, hands down.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

• 1 month later...
wow, Poor Italian has been around forever too. One of the first restaurants I ate at ~17 yrs ago when I first moved to town...

The most recent issue of the weekly says that the Poor Italian Cafe space is now occupied by the Buenos Aires Grill, which features performers dancing ON the bar. Apparently its packing them in:

DANCING ON THE TABLES

• 1 month later...

New Italian restaurant has opened in the La Tienda Cadiz space on 15th: Palermo Pizza and Pasta. We walked by and saw people eating pizza.

Hollywood Burger Company just opened in the former Ezo Noodle space on Broadway. Burgers, shakes, and fries, with various toppings (including a deep-fried chicken breast wrapped in bacon sandwich. With cheddar).

Galerias on Broadway is expanding into the former Zodiac Espresso space next door, adding a bar. They seem to be very popular.

And, as you may have heard, Salumeria on Hudson has closed. I liked it a lot in its original conception, but hadn't visited since they re-opened. The space is lovely, for whatever opens there next. I assume the owners will focus on La Medusa.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 3 weeks later...
Wow! Missed that last reply!

And now, Hiram's.

Hiram's? Really? That's a drag. Both the first and most recent incarnations had some of the best calamari in town. Please God, don't let them try to put that horrendous Italian place back in that replaced Hiram's the first time around....

Called the number. The Hiram's property has been sold to "Northwest Events and Parties."

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Called the number.  The Hiram's property has been sold to "Northwest Events and Parties."

Nancy Leson's column today confirms your findings:

Speaking of restaurants closing recently and abruptly, Hiram's at the Locks, a longtime Ballard shoreline institution that's seen several reincarnations in the past decade — has closed: for good, this time. The view property opened as Hiram's in 1976, floundered in the '90s as the pseudo-Italian seafood joint Pescatore, reverted to Hiram's three years ago, and was just sold to the owner of Northwest Events & Parties, a 10-year-old Seattle-based company. The restaurant will reopen in March as the Canal Event Facility (call 206-524-4918 to book your June wedding, your son's bar mitzvah, your high-school reunion or that important corporate shindig).

Forty employees were told of their loss on Monday when the restaurant closed its doors. "We just couldn't make Hiram's as financially viable as our corporate goals indicated," says Colleen O'Leary, marketing manager for Hiram's parent company, Consolidated Restaurants. "(Owner) Ron Cohn really wanted to make sure that we were channeling all of our existing resources into our downtown restaurants," says O'Leary, referring to the Metropolitan Grill, Elliott's Oyster House and Union Square Grill — among a multitude of upscale downtown restaurants smarting from the local economy's sharp decline.

Just what Seattle needs, more event space!!

• 2 weeks later...
Also heard that the restaurant that replaced 96 Union (Harborview, or something like that) may have closed.  Not surprised about the latter.

Harbor Place - sign on the door says to watch for their reopening! Someone should open a restaurant there called "The Black Hole", or maybe "The Bermuda Triangle"? Actually, that wouldn't be such a bad idea what with the giant rooftop patio and the western sun exposure.

Anyone know what happened to Greg, owner of the Poor Italian? Think he came from long line of resturant owners, believe family was from Bay area. He was great host who loved to escape to 'Vegas. Put together good staff that servered up some pretty good fish in ample portions. Know he had tried other openings (think on Eastside); do hope he's still in trade.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DrColby, welcome!

I don't know what happened to Chef Greg, but I'm curious to find out.

Back to the "farewell and welcome" thread ..... I'd like to find out if anyone has any additional info on Hiroki, a new bakery opening on N. 56th St. between Wallingford and Green Lake.

I heard that the owner is a graduate of the Seattle Culinary Academy, but I don't know much else.

Oh, I did hear that the shop will specialize in European desserts. I'll be curious to hear any reports on this place. They're supposed to open in early March. Their address is going to be 2224 N. 56th St.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Back to the "farewell and welcome" thread ..... I'd like to find out if anyone has any additional info on Hiroki, a new bakery opening on N. 56th St. between Wallingford and Green Lake.

I heard that the owner is a graduate of the Seattle Culinary Academy, but I don't know much else.

Oh, I did hear that the shop will specialize in European desserts. I'll be curious to hear any reports on this place. They're supposed to open in early March. Their address is going to be 2224 N. 56th St.

Cool! We can always use another bakery/patisserie. Please keep us informed if you hear more info.

By the way, I think the Seattle Culinary Academy is the name of the cooking school at Seattle Central Community College. Do you know if this is where the owner went?

Yes indeed, they are one and the same, although the folks at SCCC would prefer to brand the school as the Seattle Culinary Academy (for obvious reasons... the community college stigma is so unfair though).

... and in other local community college culinary news (this is cool), South Seattle Community College broke ground last month for a $2.5 million expansion on its culinary arts complex. I heard it's going to rock... new demo kitchen, new dining room, yada yada yada.

Clickity click here for more info: South Seattle Community College culinary arts info

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni