• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jimmy John's sandwich shop

CaliPoutine

I live in Ontario, but I make frequent trips to Port Huron, MI.

I was surprised and delighted when I found this new sandwich shop. I think the quality is 100x better than Subway. I've never been fond of a toasted sandwich so Quizno's just doesnt do it for me.

I really like Jimmy John's. The sandwiches are either on a 8" white sub roll or thick cut whole grain bread. You tell the cashier what you want instead of walking down a slow line watching your sandwich( ie: Subway)

I usually get the #12 Turkey, avocado spread, provolone, sprouts, cucumber, mayo, onion and oil and vinegar. You can check it out here.

Have you ever had it? What do you think?

We have Jimmy John's here in Central PA, and there was one near me in Iowa when I lived there, and in Minnesota when I lived there, so I guess they are all over the place. I agree that they are way better than Subway, especially their bread. I'm especially fond of the #9: Italian Night Club, which I prefer on the standard French-style roll rather than their other bread. I also appreciate the "attitude" of the signage in the stores: a little snarky :smile:.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

We eat Jimmy John's often because they are one of the few places that will reliably deliver to our office. Like Chirs, my favorite is the Italian Night Club (or the smaller #5). I also like the tuna salad in the "unwich". The lettuce wrap is usually very fresh and crisp. I dump it in a big bowl and cut it up to make a salad. Eating the lettuce wrap is VERY messy!

My favorite Italian subs or antipasto salads are from Larry's. But, they don't deliver. So, Jimmy John's works. My big complaint with Jimmy John's is they only have SWEET tea.

I was surprised and delighted when I found this new sandwich shop.  I think the quality is 100x better than Subway.  I've never been fond of a toasted sandwich so Quizno's just doesnt do it for me.

I really like Jimmy John's. The sandwiches are either on a 8" white sub roll or thick cut whole grain bread.  You tell the cashier what you want instead of walking down a slow line watching your sandwich( ie: Subway)

I usually get the #12 Turkey, avocado spread, provolone, sprouts, cucumber, mayo, onion and oil and vinegar.    You can check it out here.

Have you ever had it?  What do you think?

I get the #12 on whole grain, almost every time. They do deliver really fast, which I really appreciate, and it feels like a healthier option than the other places that deliver, although I suspect it's really not. Don't burst my bubble please. I'm in denial.

I also like the tuna salad in the "unwich". The lettuce wrap is usually very fresh and crisp. I dump it in a big bowl and cut it up to make a salad. Eating the lettuce wrap is VERY messy!

I really want to try the tuna, but I can't get past the "chunk light". I find dark tuna too "cat foody" for my palate. I'm sure my body is just full of mercury from all the albacore I consume.

I was surprised and delighted when I found this new sandwich shop.  I think the quality is 100x better than Subway.  I've never been fond of a toasted sandwich so Quizno's just doesnt do it for me.

I really like Jimmy John's. The sandwiches are either on a 8" white sub roll or thick cut whole grain bread.  You tell the cashier what you want instead of walking down a slow line watching your sandwich( ie: Subway)

I usually get the #12 Turkey, avocado spread, provolone, sprouts, cucumber, mayo, onion and oil and vinegar.    You can check it out here.

Have you ever had it?  What do you think?

I get the #12 on whole grain, almost every time. They do deliver really fast, which I really appreciate, and it feels like a healthier option than the other places that deliver, although I suspect it's really not. Don't burst my bubble please. I'm in denial.

I actually went yesterday and contemplated the whole grain. But, I smell the white stuff baking( and I never consume white bread at home) and it smells soooo good and then I cave in. I always wonder how fresh the whole grain is. They keep it in this big platic bucket( cambro?) on top of the counter. It doesnt look that appealing to me.

There is nutritionally information on the website. Personally, I didnt find it that bad.

Add me to the JJ lovers list. There was one a block and a half from my apartment in college, and they still delivered! I could order a sandwich, hop into the shower, get into my PJs and head downstairs to meet the delivery guy. Plus, they were open open til 2 am, so were often on-call for the post-bar hours. And they would deliver a loaf of day-old bread and 4 pickles for only a $.75 charge. Great for four really drunk colege girls!

And none of that has anything to do with the food. I've tried every sandwich on the menu, but usually get the Tuna or Turkey iterations. Their Vegetarian is REALLY good too (I'm not usually a fan of the all veggie subs).

And Re: the bread: buy the loaves of french bread on Saturday night (usually from the early afternoon bake). Leave them on your counter overnight. Sunday morning (or, more accuratedly, Sunday afternoon) slice them thick and make french toast! Yum! :wub:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I really want to try the tuna, but I can't get past the "chunk light".  I find dark tuna too "cat foody" for my palate. 

Whatever they get for "chunk light" is really okay... not at all dark... I'm picky about my tuna salad and rarely order it out. But, I like JJ's. Friends who hate celery dislike it. But, I LOVE celery in my tuna salad, so it makes me happy. :biggrin:

I wanted to like JJ's, but I was severely underwhelmed. Not as good as home made, and although I love the idea that they have great delivery, but, why not just make yourself a sandwich? I admit to not buying sandwiches much, because to me it seems like paying for scrambled eggs.

Better than Subway, better than Quizno's, not as good as Potbelly.

(I feel different about regional hot sandwiches. A French Dip at Phillipe's in LA, an Italian Beef at Mr. Beef here in Chicago, a smoked meat at Schwartz's in Montreal, an oyster po'boy in NO -- I'm there.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

^Because a sandwich always tastes better if someone else makes it. :wink:

I lived off delivery food in grad school when I was studying for my prelims. JJs was one of three restaurants I called, and they were always fast and good. By the time I took the exams, they knew my name and didn't even have to ask for the address. #12 it was. It's good to hear they are still around!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing a lot of shopping in MI for this upcoming catering job. I'm happy to say that I'm not sick of JJ's yet. The last 2 times I've went, I've brought the sub home for dinner.

I've also been buying their day old loaves of bread for .50. I'm hoping to use them in a baked french toast.

• 2 weeks later...
Obviously, people like this store, since it is expanding, but I hated it. Perhaps the blandest sandwich menu and ingredients I've ever encountered.

Glad I'm not alone. I can understand the appeal but the first word that comes to mind after a bite is "refrigerator."

I admit to not buying sandwiches much, because to me it seems like paying for scrambled eggs.

Better than Subway, better than Quizno's, not as good as Potbelly.

My sentiments exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

I've walked past the Jimmy John's here in Canton, OH a number of times in order to get to the really good Indian buffet place. Today, I stopped in and had a #12. I liked the bun, had a nice chew to it. The rest of the sandwich was nice, but didn't exactly blow me away. Definitely a step up from Subway and Quizno's, though. I'll go back and try something else.

I will say this ... they are fast. Not only with my order, but with other orders as well (since I was by myself, I got the pleasure of people watching during lunch).

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I'm LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Jimmy John's! I fought hard not to go there with a gf a few weeks ago. Now I get cravings for their sandwiches. This thread has made me want one so I'll probably go get one later this afternoon. The only problem I have is there is not one near me so I don't think I can get a delivery. Hrm.. then again I've never tried. Ok brb! :P

I've walked past the Jimmy John's here in Canton, OH a number of times in order to get to the really good Indian buffet place. Today, I stopped in and had a #12. I liked the bun, had a nice chew to it. The rest of the sandwich was nice, but didn't exactly blow me away. Definitely a step up from Subway and Quizno's, though. I'll go back and try something else.

I will say this ... they are fast. Not only with my order, but with other orders as well (since I was by myself, I got the pleasure of people watching during lunch).

Did you get the dressing ( oil and vinegar)? It totally needs that to complete it.

Is #12 the turkey guac? If so, thats the one I order all the time.

I was in Ann Arbor on Tuesday and stopped at Pot Belly's so I could compare. Omg, I had the WORST sandwich at PB. First, I hate a hot sandwich. I asked that it not be toasted, I also asked if the bread was stale and is that why they toast them. They said No, it wasnt stale. WRONG, the bread was staler than sawdust.

Did you get the dressing ( oil and vinegar)? It totally needs that to complete it.

Is #12 the turkey guac? If so, thats the one I order all the time.

I was in Ann Arbor on Tuesday and stopped at Pot Belly's so I could compare. Omg, I had the WORST sandwich at PB. First, I hate a hot sandwich. I asked that it not be toasted, I also asked if the bread was stale and is that why they toast them. They said No, it wasnt stale. WRONG, the bread was staler than sawdust.

Yes, the #12 is the turkey guac, although honestly, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of avocado going on in my sandwich. So are you saying to get the oil and vinegar in addition to the mayo? Or instead of it? Although to be fair, I didn't really study the menu until after lunch, when I grabbed a take-out menu.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

So are you saying to get the oil and vinegar in addition to the mayo

Yes, thats what I'm saying. I also get dijon, and onions and go light on the sprouts. I've noticed that sometimes their sprouts are not the freshest.

The guacamole is a "spread" and they slather it between the meat and cheese.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I've had JJ's down here in Florida; it's not bad. My personal favorite of the chains is Blimpie; TONS better than Sub(par)way! The best around here that I've found are the Boar's Head (cold cut brand) subs they make at Publix supermarkets. Made to order, and those folks know the meaning of 'extra' (as in onions and vinegar :rolleyes: ) Dang, they are GOOD!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I've had JJ's down here in Florida; it's not bad. My personal favorite of the chains is Blimpie; TONS better than Sub(par)way! The best around here that I've found are the Boar's Head (cold cut brand) subs they make at Publix supermarkets. Made to order, and those folks know the meaning of 'extra' (as in onions and vinegar :rolleyes: ) Dang, they are GOOD!

I was just down in S. Florida. Where is the Jimmy John's? I love the Boar's Head subs from Publix.

I was just down in S. Florida. Where is the Jimmy John's? I love the Boar's Head subs from Publix.

Lifted right off the website are the locations:

Map It Pompano Beach

1299 S. Federal Hwy.

Tel: 954-545-9270

MAKE THIS MY JJ

Map It Boca Raton

861 Yamato Rd

Tel: 561-995-7077

MAKE THIS MY JJ

Map It Boynton Beach

1100 N. Congress

Tel: 561-737-7301

MAKE THIS MY JJ

I live in Pompano Beach, but I ate at the one in Boca a coule of years ago while on a job hunt. Not bad, but not super. I'll have to try the one here in Pompano. The web sit has a good "find us" feature. Just type in the name of a city and state, click find, and bob's yer unkle! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"