• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food at French Quarter Festival

TAPrice

Moderator note: this topic was split off from "New Orleans with Kids".

Are you talking about the weekend of April 12? That's French Quarter Festival, which might be easier to manage with kids than Jazz Fest. It's not as hard to get in and out of as Jazz Fest, so you can easily come and go--or retreat to an air conditioned restaurant if necessary.

Most of the music is set along the river or at small stages in the Quarter. The food, and that's what really matters, is in front of the cathedral and along the river. Overall, the food isn't as high quality as at Jazz Fest, but there is some good stuff out there. More local restaurants participate in French Quarter festival than in Jazz Fest, so you can get a taste of items that appear on the regular menus around town.

And while at Jazz Fest all but one vendor sells swill (i.e. Miller Lite), French Quarter fest this year is sponsored by the Abita Brewery.

If this is the weekend you're coming, then I could look at food vendors and offer some specific recs.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Here is the music lineup for French Quarter Festival. One of the great things about French Quarter over Jazzfest is that you can come and go, there is no admission charge. If that is the weekend you are in luck.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Are you talking about the weekend of April 12? That's French Quarter Festival, which might be easier to manage with kids than Jazz Fest. It's not as hard to get in and out of as Jazz Fest, so you can easily come and go--or retreat to an air conditioned restaurant if necessary.

Most of the music is set along the river or at small stages in the Quarter. The food, and that's what really matters, is in front of the cathedral and along the river. Overall, the food isn't as high quality as at Jazz Fest, but there is some good stuff out there. More local restaurants participate in French Quarter festival than in Jazz Fest, so you can get a taste of items that appear on the regular menus around town.

And while at Jazz Fest all but one vendor sells swill (i.e. Miller Lite), French Quarter fest this year is sponsored by the Abita Brewery.

If this is the weekend you're coming, then I could look at food vendors and offer some specific recs.

Apologies in advance for barging in on this thread.

Todd, I am in town for the French Quarter fest. If you wouldn't mind looking at the food vendors and giving me some pointers I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Steph

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Here is a link to all the food at the festival: click.

Here are some quick picks (not exhaustive recs, just restaurants I like or dishes I remember from previous years):

Bennachin: anything.

Ted's Frostop: Cajun meat pies.

Jacques-Imo's: duck po-boy.

Muriel's: crawfish and goat cheese crepe.

The Alibi: Barbeque shrimp (this is a bar off Bourbon street--last week I had some killer BBQ shrimp from them at the St. Bernard crawfish festival--nice shrimp and finished with fresh basil and rosemary).

Tujague's: beef brisket with horseradish sauce (don't miss this one).

Vaucresson Sausage: hot sausage po-boy.

And Abita beer everywhere...

Here is a not to be missed item:

Desserts from Flour Power. Always the highlight of the fest for me. These desserts are killer. I'm insisting that my wife get me a birthday cake from here this year.

Here is the homepage.

Flour Power isn't listed on the FQF website, but I just called the bakery and their voicemail says that they'll be there.

You've also got to admire a bakery that clawed its way back to life in Chalmette. Imagine all the press you've read about flooding in the Lower 9th Ward, add a few more feet of water and that pretty much describes the situation in Chalmette.