• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Epicerie NYC

RosalieC

:angry: Has anyone ordered from this place (www.lepicerie.com)? I'm just curious how your experience was. Honestly, I thought maybe the man I dealt with was having a bad day, until I had to speak with him again in regard to my order. I had ordered a few items that you can't find everywhere (ie: trimoline...atomized glucose...). Not only did I NOT receive everything I ordered, the stuff I did get was shipped late. When I called to let them know the order had an item missing the manager accused me of trying to get the item for free and proceeded to insult me! Turns out this is a horrible company, with horrible customer service. I would not recommend them to anyone, but I am curious if anyone else has had issues with them.

I've ordered from them several times, although not in the last year, or maybe two years. I had absolutely no problems and would have recommended them for some of the hard to find items. I never dealt with anyone in person, only ordered via internet.

I've ordered from them maybe 25 times over two years, mostly over the internet but occasionally over the telephone, and most recently about 9 months ago. My experience was great, finding them mostly reliable and very helpful when something went wrong with the order (wrong quantity or size, or once a missing item).

As I'm in Manhattan I had same-day deliveries all but the last two times, and so usually dealt with the head of customer service/ordering who personally delivered the goods for their same-day delivery in Manhattan. Later I moved out of their delivery zone and so had my orders shipped by UPS.

I even had the head of the company leave me a voicemail asking if I had any questions or concerns and welcoming me as a customer the first time I saved a shopping cart on their site.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. If you search eGullet you'll find that most eG'ers seem to have had similar experiences to mine (this is where I first heard of them).

Perhaps they've grown too much over the past few years. If I hear more voices like yours I'll find somewhere else to shop.

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance