• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Scarlet Ibis

marty mccabe

So, I needed another bottle of rum like a hole in the head...but when it's imported by Haus Alpenz, "selected by request of Death & Co.", how could I resist?

It's a blend of three to five year aged Trinidad rums, with each rum in the blend produced in copper pot stills and aged in white oak.

Nicely dark gold in color, molasses, spices and caramel on the nose. The heat (Death & Co. wanted a higher proof flavorful rum for their cocktails, so it's 98 proof) is mostly absent on the nose, but comes through on the pallet in a young kind of way (which is to say, expected and not alltogether unpleasant) along with some nice sweet fruit. All in all, really nice for $29, especially given that apparently there's only 19cs to share.

So, other than drinking it straight, anyone have a cocktail in mind? I'm sorry to say that I've never actually been to Death & Co. so I don't know what their vision is for this rum...

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company

The title of this thread caught my eye... I know nothing about rum. But, when I was teaching, I used to read The Scarlet Ibis to my 9th grade English students. It was in their anthology, but was too difficult for many of them to get through. I read it to them because I wanted them to love the story as much as I did. I could never get through it dry-eyed!

I wonder what brought them to name the rum?

The Scarlet Ibis

Pam

edited to add link to the story...

Edited by onrushpam (log)

I've actually found it works quite well with Eric's new Pimento Dram. Been making daquiris with a quarter ounce of the dram which is delightful.

2 Ibis

.75 lime

.75 simple

.25 dram

Also a boozier notion

teaspoon Cane syrup

2 Ibis

.5 dram

dash of angustora

Orange twist

Find the ibis has great spice and body when mixed, it even has beaten the Santa Teresa 1796 in a few blind cocktail tastings. Thats saying something in my book.

I'm sure someone will ask: Its available at Astor and Lenells or for truly professional service at Death and Co.

• 4 months later...
I've actually found it works quite well with Eric's new Pimento Dram. Been making daquiris with a quarter ounce of the dram which is delightful.

2 Ibis

.75 lime

.75 simple

.25 dram

This is a nice drink.

--

We tasted the rum at TVH tonight. It's got a great spiciness up front, with a good amount of complexity, vanilla and cherry notes.

It could stand up tall in a Dark and Stormy, but could carry a Hemingway nicely as well.

I can't wait to play with it some more.