• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

terragusto

Well, a cursory search of the Forum failed to produce any signs of an exisiting thread on terragusto. Has anyone been recently? It looks like a fantastic deal.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

We went over the summer and really enjoyed it. I thought I had written a recap of our meal over at LTH, but apparantly not. It is a pretty good deal. We did a tasting menu for 3 people and had enough food left over to easily feed a 4th (and maybe even a small 5th). Pastas were outstanding.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I've heard nothing but good things about Terragusto. A friend lives just down the street from them; she reported having had an excellent meal a few weeks ago. (Unfortunately, I didn't save her email.) I love the BYOB feature, including the "$1 recycling fee per drinker." It's on my short list for a future visit.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

This thread has put Terragusto on my list for my trip to Chicago in a few weeks, but I've been leery because I've heard some bad things about the service and atmosphere (some say it's very loud). Any feedback on those issues?

It's a small place and on a Friday night when I was there it did get pretty loud. Probably not noticeably louder than other popular, bustling restaurants (but certainly not a place to go if you're looking for intimacy). I had no issues with the service, but that's only based on a single experience so take it for what it's worth.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I have no idea why the LTH thread is so negative on the service. I've only been once, but it was a busy Saturday night, and wasn't too loud at all. Service was just perfect--not at all overbearing or too "talky." Even if it had been as loud as a Stones concert, the food was good enough that it would have been worth it.

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

This thread has put Terragusto on my list for my trip to Chicago in a few weeks, but I've been leery because I've heard some bad things about the service and atmosphere (some say it's very loud). Any feedback on those issues?

I look forward to your report back.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I look forward to your report back.

I'm still on the fence about going here or A Mano, but I'll report back either way.

• 2 weeks later...

I went here last Friday and it was great. They had just changed the menu that day. I can't wait to get back. I can't wait to get back. 3 of us did the 3 course meal which meant 3 apps, 3 pastas and 2 meats. The only thing I would change would be two of our apps. The crostini was good but not very interesting and the chilled mussel salad was fresh but dull. Otherwise it was all very, very good. The service was great and we had a fun time with our server. AND I managed to run into 3 people I knew that were dining there. So much fun. I happily recommend this restaurant. One last - get the polenta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ate here last night, and...

Maybe my expectations were too high because of some of the posts here, but I felt it was good, maybe very good but not great. We forgot the camera, so no photo's but here's a recap.

First off I love the look of the place very nice although it was on the noisy side. We were promptly seated at our table and were told our waiter Mathew would be right over, but we didn't see him for quite some time. It should be noted Mathew and the rest of the staff were great but they were very busy, and the service was a bit slow.

We each ordered the 3 course menu

The vegetable custard was great. Very smooth, and rich with a nice melted fontina cheese top, my wifes salad was not so good. The fennel was old, and the greens weren't in the best shape either.

Patsas were the al forno, and the potato and cheese tortoloni w/ a pancetta and raddichio sauce. The al forno verde(swiss chard) alla bolognese was great. Great pasta, with a good sauce baked with lots of Reggiano on top. The tortoloni was boring and dry-not good. The sauce was decent but that's it.

Our meat course was the organic grass fed skirt steak, and that along with the al forno were the stars of the show. It was cooked perfect, and although it was served on a bed of grilled zuchinni, and red onions-not carmelized brussell sprouts, and onion like our server said it was fantastic.

For dessert we shared the flourless chocolate hazel nut cake. My palate may well have been shot by this time, but I tasted no hazelnuts to speak of and felt it was too grainy.

Our bill came to 93.60 for the two of us-I felt a pretty good value, and that percieved value is why I will go back to give it another shot. My wife suggest we go during the week so we can hear each other talk.

Jeff

• 9 months later...

There's nothing yet about this on their web site, but I just received an email announcing a second location for Terragusto, so I thought I'd pass along the information.

After an exhausting search, we have finally found the  perfect complement to our Addison location. Our second location is at 340 W. Armitage, just east of Lincoln Ave....and will open Friday, January 16th, when the chef returns from "research" in Milan.

This new location will feature the same menu and the same great experience that you have come to expect at Terragusto, yet we will now be able to offer some of the best wines available while maintaining a BYO-friendly atmosphere - all that and there is valet parking too!!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer