• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart ice cream maker

Octaveman

For the past two years I've found myself not really wanting anything any of my friends or family can afford for Christmas. I do have a handful of small items under $20 on my list this year but it's never enough for my family. It's hard to explain but Christmas with our family is anything but reasonable when it comes to shear volume of presents...they need a lot of options. Last year my main item of desire was a widescreen computer monitor. This year it's the Cuisinart ICE-50BC. With two kids I thought this would be awesome to have around to be able to have ice cream whenever we want.

So, what ice cream recipes do you all enjoy? If anyone else has this machine, what tips do you have with using it?

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

For the past two years I've found myself not really wanting anything any of my friends or family can afford for Christmas.  I do have a handful of small items under $20 on my list this year but it's never enough for my family.  It's hard to explain but Christmas with our family is anything but reasonable when it comes to shear volume of presents...they need a lot of options.  Last year my main item of desire was a widescreen computer monitor.  This year it's the Cuisinart ICE-50BC.  With two kids I thought this would be awesome to have around to be able to have ice cream whenever we want.

So, what ice cream recipes do you all enjoy?  If anyone else has this machine, what tips do you have with using it?

Thanks,

Bob

Dorie Greenspan's Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream is fantastic. (from Baking from My Home to Yours). Unfortunately, she left out an important step in the directions, and that is to strain the custard before mixing it into the chocolate mixture. Other than that, the directions are accurate.

David Lebovitz's Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream is absolutely great and ultra easy. (from The Perfect Scoop). I made it less sweet, with a stronger coffee taste, by adding a tsp instant espresso instead of a pinch of dark ground roast, as listed. I also used brewed espresso. (recipe gives a choice of strongly brewed coffee or brewed espresso).

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I got this machine this summer, but haven't had a chance to do much more with it than make vanilla bean ice cream! The machine was left at the cottage so I won't be able to play with it more until the spring.

The times I did use it though, I loved it. The ice cream does need to freeze up a bit in the freezer when you're done, but not for long really. Others have said it's noisy, but I didn't find it so, and it's pretty quick.

I'm thinking of getting a second one so I can have ice cream in the winter too. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Surely more than 1 person makes their own ice cream (thanks for your post BTW).  Nobody owns this machine?

Sorry, Bob. Not nearly enough room in the kitchen or around my waistline to justify the big Cuisinart. Here's the one I have: Cuisinart 2 quart ice cream maker

I've had a fair bit of success with it. With only the two of us, I don't make ice cream often, and truthfully, I'm still trying to find the recipes I did develop before moving down here from Portland. When I find them, I'll be happy to pass them along. I remember three of them were almond pistachio, Mexican chocolate, and a really rich chocolate gelato. They were all pretty tasty and it's very nice to know exactly what's going into the ice cream. Most of the brands you see at the stores have ingredient lists a half mile long that you'd need a degree in chemical engineering to decipher.

-Mike-

Hey, Mike. Yeah, I think we'll be making a lot of ice cream. A fellow KF'er has this machine and he made the most delicious sorbet (I guess) with just a basic sugar/water syrup and strawberries. Simple and damn good. Those three that you mentioned sound great so let me know if you find them.

We have a modest 2-qt Cuisinart model (dunno the model #), so I don't know how yours works. It definitely helps to have the mixture as cold as possible before you start to churn. When it is done we decant into plastic qt containers and set then inside the insulated containers in the freezer to set up for several hours.

We haven't made ice cream for many years but we do make palate cleansers and sorbets during the summer. I have a great (and simple) recipe for a lemon buttermilk sorbet; I'm seriously hooked on that and we often make two qts. Fabulous by itself or next to a moist slice of gingerbread!

I have this ice cream maker and I love it.

My favourite recipe is extremely basic, and I just add flavour depending on what we want.

1 can condensed milk

1 can evaporated milk

2 cups heavy cream

(If you are making chocolate ice cream, melt the chocolate in with this stuff now. See * note below.)

Mix above in the top half of a double boiler, and simmer very gently until well combined and the smooth.

Take the top of the double boiler off and add flavouring you'd like to steep...the main flavour of the ice cream. I make a lot of vanilla so here's where I add it. If I'm doing fake kulfi, this is where I add cardomom. Cinnamon, etc. You get it. Anything you want steeped in for nice flavour.

Cool on counter and put in fridge overnight.

Next day, put in pre-frozen Cuisinart insert. Let it do it's thing about 45 minutes. If you are adding a "ribbon" of something, you want it to be as cool as you can get it while still being able to pour, and you add it just before the end. I add caramel to vanilla base, sometimes I add melted jam, sometimes chocolate syrup.

I put the ice cream in it's freezer container to add "mix ins". Nuts, etc.

Freeze and let set at least a couple of hours.

* Re the chocolate, I use unsweetened chocolate, and that seems to work well with the amount of sugar in the condensed milk. I've never tried lighter or sweeter chocolate, you'd need to play with the sugar/chocolate ratio to get what you want.

I am going to start messing with frozen yoghurt soon.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I have that exact model also, and its a huge improvement over the type that have to be kept in the freezer, although this baby is LOUD, its a small price to pay for fresh ice cream on short notice.

I second the recommendation about getting the mixture as cold as possible before adding it to the machine, it really seems to help the texture and speeds things up quite a bit.

I also picked up a copy of "The Ultimate Ice Cream Cookbook " by Bruce Weinstein which covers a couple of types of Ice creams as well as Sorbets, and contains about 500 recipes.

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

Wow, Pax, that sounds rich. I like a lot of vanilla flavor too. Thanks for the recipe and tips. I'll try them out.

KLwood, I've heard that too (no pun) that it's loud but I'm sure it will eventually blend into the background noise. Thanks for the tips too.

Katie, mmmm...lemon buttermilk sorbet. That sounds good. Please share.

Don't forget sorbets!

In preparing the sorbet mix, keep in mind that the higher the proportion of sugar to fruit juice or flavor-infused water, the creamier the result. It's best to start with a simple syrup (I use a ratio of 2 parts sugar to one part water, by weight) rather than mix granulated sugar in with your flavor ingredient.

Since it's citrus season, just start out with fresh juice of your favorite citrus or combination thereof. Add enough simple syrup so it's considerably sweeter than you'd want if you were just going to serve it as a "citrus-ade", i.e., lemonade, orangeade, etc. Remember that the perception of sweetness and other taste sensations is reduced by temperature. Then freeze according to your machine's instructions. (A nip of Cointreau won't hurt most citrus sorbets, though Campari and grapefruit work particularly well. Just don't overdo the alcohol, which lowers the freezing temperature; if you use too much your mix will hardly freeze at all. Two tablespoons of booze per pint of mix should be the absolute max.)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Here it is, Octaveman, enough for 2 quarts:

Lemon Buttermilk Sorbet

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (not meyer)

2 T finely grated lemon zest

4 cups buttermilk (we use 1.5 percent buttermilk and it's just right)

Stir sugar, lemon juice and zest in a med-large bowl. Add the buttermilk and stir until the sugar dissolves. Chill well, at least 4 hours.* Process mixture in your ice-cream maker according to the direx. Transfer to a container with a lid and freeze.

*My husband thinks the cuisinart we have works best if the mixture is as cold as possible, but not starting to freeze or get ice crystals in it. He often put the mix in the freezer for half an hour after it's been in the fridge.

Remember that your mix will expand as it freezes, so don't worry when you see that the freezer containers in your machine start out only 2/3 full. I also want to second the reminder that you may find the mix too sweet if you taste it before it is frozen. This recipe finishes up nice and tart.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this ice cream machine is truely the shiznit. I've made 5 batches so far. A strawberry sorbet made twice, a mango sorbet made twice and a batch of roasted coconut ice cream. I made the fruit sorbet's twice for different reasons. The first strawberry was way too sweet so I tried it again with less sugar in the syrup. Much better/lighter. The first mango was too chunky so I tried it again making it more pulp-like rathar than chunky. Much better. Of course the quality of the mango's could've been better too so I'll make it again with better fruit.

I'm still waiting for my shipment of vanilla beans to arrive to start working in that direction. I also have some fresh Thai Pandanus leaves that I want to steep with a nice creamy blend...maybe with Pax's recipe. BTW, what brand of chocolate do people use to make the standard choc ice cream? I kinda like the smokiness of Ghirardelli. Has anyone used it?

Still planning on trying the recipes posted above too so thanks again for them.

Bob

I don't have that particular Cuisinart ice cream maker, but that won't stop me posting a link to my favorite recipe: Ruth Smith's Peach Ice Cream (or nectarine, or plum, or a mixture). The link is to where I posted it in RecipeGullet. You may have to wait until the summer for decent fruit, however.

I'm glad for the notes above about sorbet. I'm on a pomegranate kick right now, and happily scored some for juicing before the season ended. Pomegranate sorbet is coming up soon.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here's my favorite ice cream book: Sorbets and Ice Creams by Lou Seibert Pappas. http://www.amazon.com/Sorbets-Ice-Creams-F...99941212&sr=8-4

The dark chocolate ice cream is my favorite chocolate ice cream recipe.

Some excellent gelatos from this book: Gelato! by Pamela Sheldon-Johns. The book has been out-of-print, selling for $40 at used book websites, so I emailed the publisher and mentioned that, um, there appeared to be a market for this book, so how about reprinting it? They replied that the book will be reprinted this spring in paperback. http://www.amazon.com/Gelato-Italian-Cream...99941390&sr=1-3

I also like the ice cream recipes from David Lebovitz's Room For Dessert , especially the vanilla bean ice cream recipe. People look bored when I say there's vanilla ice cream for dessert, but not after they taste this one.

Edited by djyee100 (log)